DLuders

Ming Thein's TECHNIC Porsche 917K 1970

From the same person who created the first Lego 1:10-scale Technic Bugatti Veyron (Ming Thein), there's now a FANTASTIC Lego Technic PORSCHE 917K from 1970: http://mocpages.com/moc.php/193021 . He posted it just a week ago, so be sure to check it out! Ming Thein writes:

"Once again, I present a world first - a functioning Porsche 917K! MOC includes accurate scale and drivetrain layout, flat 12 engine, working gearbox behind the rear axle, full independent suspension, opening doors/ engine cover, and connected steering."

"Functions:

- Working steering, linked to steering wheel

- Full suspension, same type as the real car - independent double wishbone front/rear, shortened wishbone length and vertical absorber placement to increase suspension stiffness to match real car

- Working flat 12 engine, mid placement

- 3-speed gearbox with shifter mounted behind rear axle, pushrod activated shifter

- Opening engine cover and doors

"Constructed from:

- 8145 Ferrari 599, and 8297 Off Roader.

- Yes, the 250GTO still exists complete; the 917K was assembled from sets acquired specifically for this purpose."

Addtiional photos are on http://www.flickr.com/photos/mingthein/set...57614387804037/ . :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

4447355993_35a5c90e0f_o.jpg

On his Flickr photostream, Ming Thein recently posted 10 pictures of "The second 917K, ready for packing and delivery." On MOCpages, in the "Comments" section there is recent correspondence from a gentleman from Austria who wanted one, so Ming Thein just built one for him. I wonder how much he sold it for? :look: It appears that Ming Thein can commission one for you, if you post your request on MOCpages....

5303030666_92ca005c68_b.jpg5302437077_a285621297_b.jpg

Edited by DLuders

I really love all the Le Mans cars from 60's and 70's. Great shape and great photos.

Awesome creation, too bad he hadn't taken more pictures for someone to reverse engineer it.

Edited by Paul202

Yeah, I accidently posted it in the wrong thread, as I had multiple threads open at the same time. I didn't see an option to delete the comment, and I felt that my comment was more constructive than saying "Nevermind."

I might give it a shot later on, love the lines on this beauty. Sexy beast.

His Bugatti is also excellent by the way, check it out.

I tried building the Porsche in SR3D Builder, but I don't have enough views of the inside and I came no further than this (I didn't do most of the bodywork, since that is useless without inner parts):

Ming%20Thein%20Porsche%20wip.png?token_hash=AAEsZculGeDPhSKhlE_pGkrifKee0K6hZOcOPvxXG9KTtg&dl=1

Does the underside shot not help?

Well, I've looked at it carefully (I think in total I looked at it for like 30 mintues, really) but there are just too many unseen spots, especially the suspension construction is barely visible on most pictures.

I can upload the .l3b file if anyone wants it, but it's not very much (as you can se on the picture).

Btw, one thing that's not helping either, is the fact that this is moc is only using the pieces from 2 sets. Probably because of this, Ming Thein made some weird constructions (because of the lack of parts) that makes it less logical and less easy to figure out what's happening :sceptic:

On the upside, you know which parts he uses. Is there any additional ones, like an extra pin or bush somewhere? Has he said anything about this car?

Where did you get that technical drawing from?

It looks very interesting and usefull for the build.

On the car. Nice job reverse engineering it.

Are the wheels you used the right size? they seem a lot bigger than the ones on ming thein's build.