Sign in to follow this  
ZeeK

REVIEW: 8683 Minifig series 1

Setnumber: 8683

Minifig number&name: #10 The Wrestler

Numbers of different minifigs in series 1: 16

Parts in this bag: 5

Price: 89 Russian Roubles (30 Roubles per 1 USD exh. rate)

Release: June 2010

Welcome to our show, Senior!

Since my country is rather far from Mexico, the first time the people became aware of Mexican wrestling called "lucha libre" was the release of the "Nacho Libre" movie starring Jack Black...

So here he is, the LEGO Luchador:

8683_03.jpg

and the one from the movie

nachoLibre.jpg

The number of parts is small, but we receive the red cape, which obviously goes well with custom figs.

The printing on the head is nice and accurate and the color used for head piece and legs is quite nice. I'm not sure that the pictures show this, but IMO, it's not cheap-looking at all

Here we have all the differences from the ordinary figs - The Mark on the inner side of the arm, and the digit marks on the hands.

8683_04.jpg

The front view

8683_05.jpg

Who said "superman"?

The printing on the torso is massive, tough accurate: the sweat-shirt, the prize belt... Any ideas for using torso/legs in custom figs?

The back of the minifugure is absolutely plain

8683_06.jpg

I think of buying one for display purposes only, since i have not seen any possible custom applications yet. Any ideas are welcome!

Many thanks to my fellow DoubleBrick's member Dan (see his BrickShelf folder) for professional photos.

Another great minifig, I really can't wait for this collection to be released, do you know if there going to be available in Canada?

Thanks for the review :thumbup:

I live right next to Mexico and here about these fights all the time. I've been to a couple. But anyways great review! and I'm so glad to see these amazing figs already! Sadly its made with chinese plastic :hmpf_bad:

Pretty nice. Although in the earlier pictures I had thought the championship belt he wore had a masked minifig head in the center-- instead, it's just some sort of eagle/globe icon, which is still cool, but not as meta as I was hoping for.

Thanks for the review!

Another good looking minifig, with what looks like quality printing! But I'm at a loss to find a good use for such a character in a normal city setting... any suggestions?

[i think of buying one for display purposes only, since i have not seen any possible custom applications yet. Any ideas are welcome!

Well, I know of one possible use for this dude -- superhero. I LOVE that masked head, and that is definitely going to find it's way into a new character for my Lego superhero comic, the Unlikely Society.

I am digging all these early mini-fig reviews!! I don't how you guys are getting a hold of these things, but keep 'em comin'!!

Thanks 'Zeek' for the review that asks where's Hulk Hogan around when you need him ! :laugh:

The figure looks COOL with print everywhere, face etc.,.

Man, I'm going to try and get all these !

I'm a conformist! ! :sweet:

Cool! Thanks for the review.

I guess if you got several of these, you can make your own pro wrestling ring and have them do the Battle Royal thing! :classic:

He could also be a superhero, or a circus/amusement park performer if you like.

Nachoooooooooooo!

Thanks for pics of this fig. This one is one of my faves of Series 1. I actually had no idea that he had leg printing until now :thumbup:

What's with this sudden flood of minifig reviews?! The belt could have been removable from the legs, like the Clone wars figs(or at least printed on the waist). Is it just the lighting, or is that a new shade of blue?

Edited by indianajones

Well, I know of one possible use for this dude -- superhero. I LOVE that masked head

Actually he looks more like a super Vilan! :tongue:

A little disappointed at no back torso print :sceptic:

With the focus on minifigs in this series, you'd think they'd include more details like that.

Not that they're not awesome in every other way though.

With the focus on minifigs in this series, you'd think they'd include more details like that.

The wrestler wears a cape anyways so it wouldn't matter. :P

-Omi

Great review, I just have one question. Can you feel through the bags to at least get a good guess at what minifigure is inside? Although I really want to collect them all, it would be nice to buy some duplicates of the ones I love.

Is it just the lighting, or is that a new shade of blue?
I think it's the lighting. The actual color looks pretty close to "Medium Blue" (BrickLink color table) - I've compared to the 2*4 brick from the CITY 2010 advent calendar (7687)
Why on earth does he have flesh hands?
I think these are white. At least they are white with the fig I have in front of me. Maybe It's the lighting effect? the same as above?

I think they're white, not flesh.

IMO one of the most boring figures of the wave.

Not really many MOC opportunities for reusing the parts either.

Speaking of Nacho Libre,I still have it sealed in it's case.

Seems kind of stupid, not sure if I want to watch it. :laugh:

Great review!

Yes! THIS is the minifig of the upcoming series I have been the most excited about. I really should take pictures of my Pro Wrestling ring/stadium, and I most certainly will when I get this guy to add to my minifig fighter roster. :]

For sure available in Canada, I know we are trying to bring in as much stock as I can get my hands on for this item. But I know we'll be doing a 'no touchy/no feely' policy to ensure everyone has a fair crack at the items. But I am having to import some stock from Europe to get enough to keep them around for a while. First batch is supposed to ship to us for display Jun 1st timeframe.

Gloves, maybe? I'm pretty sure they're white.

I'm not that excited about this minifigure, but I'll try to get it anyway.

Fabulous minifig, even if back printing would\'ve been nice. It looks as if none of the minifigs in this series have back printing, which might be helping to keep them affordable despite the limited production runs with one-time-only accessories and prints.

I take it this one doesn\'t have an accessory beyond the cape, right?

(Edit:

Setnumber: 8683

Minifig number&name: #10 The Wrestler

Numbers of different minifigs in series 1: 16

Parts in this bag: 6

6 pieces? Head, torso, hips/legs, cape, base tile, and... ???)

As far as the usefulness goes, this one would obviously be most useful if they ever do any more, but I presume some folks will also do some head-swapping and the like to create some additional luchadores to fill out their arenas.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

The first of the collectionables I really don't care about. I would not have been able to tell that this is supposed to be a wrestler. I am not even familiar with normal wrestling, let alone with the American or Mexican show versions of it. The torso could be of some use for something, for the rest it's unimpressive.