MOC: His Majesty's Mail Service

3 replies to this topic

#1 tunamint

tunamint

Member: 9948

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:23 PM

Posted Image

Firstly, I would like to precede with a concern: if this topic is mislabeled as an MOC because it's piece content is almost universally from one set, please correct me. This is my first creation in over five years, and my first ever posted to the internet.

Hey, Eurobricks! As a train buff who recently rediscovered his love for the brick, I'd like to present my first creation since 2004, which I named His Majesty's Mail Service on a whim.  :classic:

Posted Image

Upon returning home from Brickworld Indy, I was determined to build something out of absolute necessity, and this is what resulted from that need. I promptly cracked open one of the copies of 10183 I'd snagged there, but instead of planning out a precise MOC based on a real prototype, I decided to pay tribute to my childhood by opening each of the bags into a pile on the floor and building from my head.

Initially, I had fooled around with a curved SNOT bufferbeam in the style of British steam locomotives, as never outside of an official kit from TLG had I practiced any similar techniques. I initially considered building a 2-6-0, then an 0-6-0 pannier tank, before liking the bufferbeam piece so much that I created another copy of it and decided on building a symmetrical locomotive. Deciding to take design cues from 7720's battery-powered switcher from 1980, I decided on an electric steeplecab look. Somewhere along the way, I settled on trying to give the engine a 'streamlined' feel by forming the frame with tiled 'skirts,' roof tiles, SNOT, half-stud tiles and cheese slopes.

Posted Image

Here is the front of the locomotive, from which the bufferbeam concept grew. The headlight is formed by a stud-down Technic 1x1 brick, fit into the tube of a 1x2, secured by the back of two 1x1 headlight bricks mounted behind the 2x4 red slopes for stability. Although a bit hard to see in the daylight, the headlamp as well as it's symmetrical backing counterpart are both lit by a Lifelites Jr. in the cab.

Posted Image

At this point during the build I decided to keep my creations 6-wide in order to create a consist that would harken memories of a 4.5 volt era train set. The locomotive is of the B/Bo wheel arrangement, with the wheels themselves fastened to the undercarriage without their outer suspension fairings (as the 'skirts' along the sides of the locomotive are attached by mudgaurds, resulting in a fit too narrow for the fairings.) I took a cue from various builders and brickbuilt the chassis as many have their freight bogies to achieve a greated degree of realism - although mine was purely for the sake of functionality!  :laugh:

Posted Image

Not counting magnets, the locomotive is 20 studs long. The frame built up from the skirts sits around the chassis and attaches via four internal studs, resulting in a not-so-sturdy loco - but such is the negative aspect of 'freestyle' building. The cabin itself is fairly undetailed, save for 1x4 control panel tiles on either side of the cab, and a centrally located driver's seat on a turntable plate, seated above a 2x4 plate and 1x2 bricks which help keep the length of Lifelite cable down. In front of the seat in the forward section of the loco is the Lifelite brick itself, which can be reached by opening the cab door and sticking a finger inside. The roof is piece together from dark bley 'vehicle roof' plates, under which are two more Lifelite lights to illuminate the cab. Other than a red-lensed backing lamp, and red 1x2 tiles instead of letters with seals, the rear end of the loco is identical to the front.

Posted Image

This combination open transport/covered cargo wagon is loosely inspired by the rearmost wagon from 7720.

Posted Image

The chassis is built up from a number of regular and Technic plates, with a length of 18 studs.

Posted Image

This parcel van was largely inspired by and is a slight imitation of  the one seen in 7722 from 1985.  A black and red scheme with burgundy trim has been adopted in place of red and yellow, but aesthetics are kept very similar.

Posted Image

The chassis, however, is freelance. Inside a small sorting office can be found in the rear of the wagon, and a transport area behind the sliding doors.

Posted Image

Stepladders reside on either side of the wagon for no other purpose than for being frilly. As I own only one Elite Jr at the moment, the rear lamps on the wagon aren't illuminated.

Posted Image

An overview of the station platform and parcel truck, all built, along with the train, from one copy of 10183 save for minifigures, the Brickforge Vespa, and two of the old stle 2x2 plates with permanent axle and wheels.

Posted Image

Close-up of the parcel truck. Keeping with the 1980's train set theme, I wanted to create a small, 4-wide vehicle, which posed a few interesting design challenges. Most of the truck's body and wheel arching are framed with SNOT around a 2-wide base. Two 1x1 horizontal clips allow the tailgate to lift down for package loading and unloading playability.

Posted Image

I have much to learn and much to practice, but nevertheless I'm glad to finally have something to show the world for my hobby. I hope you enjoy my first proper MOC, and look forward to creating and sharing more! (:

-Mike.

#2 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:36 PM

FANTASTIC work 'tunamint' ! :grin:
Love the little engine and all the other rolling stock plus that sweet little classic town inspired vehicle - :sweet:
Excellent engine design, best thing is that mail sorting van - cool ! :grin:
Great work 'tunamint' and keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#3 RoryoCox

RoryoCox

• Photography Contest Winner

Member: 7213

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:54 PM

Very well done tunamint
The train and the platform looks brilliant.
The front locomotive is just fabulous, :wub:  I love the different slop bricks you used.

Again Well Done, I hope to see more MOCs soon  :thumbup:

RoryoCox

#4 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 23 March 2010 - 02:28 PM

First, let me say that it's neat to see you post your first creation in over five years here on Train Tech tunamint.  I think it makes this creation that much more exciting, plus it's nice to see you get back into the hobby with trains.  Secondly, I think the labelling of this set of creations as "MOC" is quite well deserved and it also shows how much possibility is offered with 10183 Hobby Train.  What an awesome set, and some were lucky to pick it up at half the retail price when LEGO SAH had it on sale/clearance.

As I browse your creations, I think they're excellent!  What an interesting design for a locomotive - can't say that I've seen this design in a real life train before (at least here in the States).  Nice job on the sides, and the backside looks really neat.  I'd love to see the engine lit up. :wub:

The combo boxcar/flatbed is also an interesting design somewhat reminiscent of the old 12V trains - at least I could picture a 12V train having a wagon like this.

I really like the boxcar because you've managed to put some extra detail into it - something I always have difficulty with, especially when using the standard boxcar sliding doors.  The extra train door, window, and undercarriage add to the quality.

The parcel truck is neat, but I must admit that the design of the platform looks a little odd with the plates used as the wall/riser and the bricks as the roof (maybe if you switched these components it would look better).

Overall, this is an excellent train.  It would look awesome with a single picture and some LEGO boxart - but that's just for visual appreciation.  Great job and I hope you keep building! :thumbup:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users