Review: Chrome Storm Trooper Toys R Us polybag promo

16 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (32 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. Poor (1 votes [3.12%])

Percentage of vote: 3.12%

2. Below Average (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

3. Average (3 votes [9.38%])

Percentage of vote: 9.38%

4. Above Average (7 votes [21.88%])

Percentage of vote: 21.88%

5. Outstanding (18 votes [56.25%])

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:39 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
I present to you the very short review of the Chrome Storm trooper polybag promo from Toys R Us.

BASIC INFORMATION:

Set Name: Storm trooper (Toys R Us polybag promo)
Set Number: Item# 4591726 (alternate# 2853590
Number of Pieces:  5
Minifigs: 1
Price: Free with a SW LEGO purchase of $11.99 or in some stores $2.99
Theme: Star Wars
Year Released: 2010

RESOURCES:

Posted Image
Posted Image (high res pics available here, also by clicking the images in the review)

THE REVIEW:

Bag Front:
Posted Image
This is going to be one easy build, he comes completely assembled, and notice no official set number.

Bag Back:
Posted Image
It's a choking hazard trust me, I translated all 30+ languages.  (not really, but that's kind of overkill)

Minifig Front:
Posted Image
He's a Storm trooper and he's chrome.  Awesome!  The grill for his mouth is actually very detailed but hard to photograph.

Minifig Left:
Posted Image
It may be hard to see but there are grey spots and blue markings just like a regular storm trooper, notice the unchromed part?

Minifig Back:
Posted Image
Pretty well detailed I must say.  Again the printing is the same as a standard storm trooper.

Minifig Right:
Posted Image
More unchromed plastic, it's obvious how his arms were positioned during the chroming process.

Taken Apart:
Posted Image
Legs work back wards since he came assembled.  Tada, the leg prongs are chromed as well, not too shabby.

Legs 1:
Posted Image
Here I show the unchromed part of the legs when you bend the legs.

Legs 2:
Posted Image
This is the legs bent back the opposite way.  We all know he was standing at attention when chromed.

Arms Back:
Posted Image
As seen above his arms were placed back wards during chroming and now you can see the part that did not make the chrome cut.

Is it better than the magnet fig?
Posted Image
Most of us probably made a point to get a magnet since it was an easy way to get a chrome storm trooper, if we only knew what was coming.

Comparison 1:
Posted Image
The legs got the same treatment on both figs.  This is good news.

Comparison 2:
Posted Image
Again the exact same spots are missing chrome.  Besides these similarities, I actually think they are the same fig.  The printing on the back of the polybag fig (smaller gun) is a little more accurate, but not by much.

Totals:

Design: 10/10 It's a chrome storm trooper, what else could be done.

Parts:10/10 You may not get much, but most of us didn't pay for it either.

Build: 10/10 This was really easy to build

Minifigs: 10/10 Come on, of course this is a ten, he's chrome and a storm trooper, case closed.

Playability: 10/10 Good old LEGO works with all LEGO, plus he's chrome.

Price: 10/10 FREE!!!!, or $2.99 which is a steal compared to the $9.99 magnet.

Total: 60/60 A perfect score.  OK, Honestly these ratings can't really be applied here because it's not a set, but for the price or lack there of, I love this fig.  I did get more than one but I'm not going to reveal how many because I love this fig, and unfortunately I did not get as many as I'd like so I won't be selling any.  Even though they have already tripled in price on bricklink.

#2 Rufus

Rufus

• Schnell! Schnell! Kartoffelkopf!

Member: 6705

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

Mmmmmm, shiny shiny!  These have yet to hit the UK, but my magnet - interestingly - has one leg that is chromed on the inside and one that isn't.

Great mini-review, Big Cam!  :thumbup:  Is that your reflection in the Stormie's helmet? :wink:

#3 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:55 PM

Thanks 'Big Cam' for a detailed review of this very COOL minifig - Man wouldn't mind have a few of these in my collection (including one to be MISB - ch-ching $$$ :grin: ).
It looks well chromed of course no chrome where the parts with move like head and legs, the coating would wear off big time !
Keep on bricking everyone and may the force be with you ! :yoda:

#4 Blondie-Wan

Blondie-Wan

• Honest as Abe

Member: 5831

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:11 PM

View PostBig Cam, on Mar 18 2010, 05:39 PM, said:

Even though they have already tripled in price on bricklink.

Holy cats, they started at "free" but now they're three times that already?!?  :cry_happy:

:wink:

I've picked up a couple of these myself. I'd like to get a couple more, but money is so horribly tight for me (as usual) that I may not be able to, even getting battlepacks. We'll see, though.

That said, while this is quite nifty if somewhat pointless, what I really want is a chrome gold Threepio. That's a fig that really ought to be in a regular set; alas, since TLG offered it as a special limited-edition thing, it's probably considered "off limits" for incorporation into a regular set, and the 10,000 copies really aren't enough for everyone who'd like one, surely.

I never did manage to get one (that I know of - it's possible I have one somewhere in one of the few unopened sets I have from the promo period, but I know my odds aren't good), and there's just no way I can justify paying the kinds of prices they're going for on eBay.  :cry_sad:

#5 Brickus

Brickus

Member: 6717

Posted 18 March 2010 - 10:48 PM

Good review, unfortunately I cannot get this set as it is not available here.

#6 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 18 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

Great review!
To solve the chroming problem, they could've just chromed the arms and legs before assembling the fig :sceptic:
I want this fig! :sing:

Edited by prateek, 18 March 2010 - 11:28 PM.

#7 DLangRI

DLangRI

Member: 8630

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:58 AM

Mine stands as a statue with a stormtrooper review under the scruntinizing watch of Palpatine. I wish the Toys r Us's in the Rhode Island area hadn't sold out so quickly (By the 14th, they were all gone :( ).

#8 RileyC

RileyC

• >-- Stupid Cupid --> <3

Member: 5251

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:43 AM

Im real glad I bought one from Ebay quick cause i reckon these will go really quickly just like they did from toys r us. Great review! I mustve been really hard to photograph this beauty but you did a really good job.

One quibble though, in your totals you give it 0/10 for minifigs but I presume its meant to be 10. :classic:

Formerly gone by the name of "Roncanator"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Playing as Yasuko a Model in Yakusa Family Mafia
Played as Rickety Cannon a Town Nerd in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum II: Fraulein Bloodbrick Mafia
Played as Ruxana a Town Pilot in Baritones 3 Mafia
Played as Roweena Karnata a Town Guard General turned Dark One in The Coming Darkness Mafystery
Played as Cookie Custer an Insane from Spider Ward in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum Mafia
Played as Ron Canter a Town Folk turned Noodles Family in Eurodina Mafia
Played as Todd "Bulltoad" Bulstrode an Innocent from Slytherin in Hogwarts Mafia
Played as Ron Callister a Sane Pilot in Dystopia Mafia
Played as Ron Toreil an Honoured soldier in Imperial Soldier's Mafia

#9 samuraiturtle

samuraiturtle

Member: 9090

Posted 19 March 2010 - 05:13 AM

I got a question should I leave it in the bag or open it up?  I am thinking just leave it in the bag.   :sceptic:

And it is better than the magnet set or just the same?  That part was not too clear.   :wacko:

#10 CommanderFox

CommanderFox

• Can't remember his own name

Member: 5406

Posted 19 March 2010 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for a lovely Review Big Cam! :thumbup:
He is one lovely Stormie! :cry_happy:  :wub:  So Shiny!
I personally can't see any difference between both of them, they both look Great!
Thanks for the review!

CommanderFox
My Brickshelf!. The Brick Hope.
Anime and Manga fan, feel free to discuss anything anime on my profile :)
                                          CommanderFox playing as Ollivander Dippet for Gryffindor in Harry Potter Wizards Duel!
Posted ImagePosted Image - Kiwi Bricks

#11 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

View PostRufus, on Mar 18 2010, 02:51 PM, said:

Mmmmmm, shiny shiny!  These have yet to hit the UK, but my magnet - interestingly - has one leg that is chromed on the inside and one that isn't.

Great mini-review, Big Cam!  :thumbup:  Is that your reflection in the Stormie's helmet? :wink:
It sure is.  I took about 30 pictures total and used 13 I think.  If I was to far to one direction the whole fig would look black, it got a little annoying, but I'm happy with the ones I ended up with.

View Postsamuraiturtle, on Mar 18 2010, 10:13 PM, said:

I got a question should I leave it in the bag or open it up?  I am thinking just leave it in the bag.   :sceptic:

And it is better than the magnet set or just the same?  That part was not too clear.   :wacko:
It was more of a rhitorical question.  I believe that these are the exact same fig's.  I have 3 more magnet figs and a few more polybag figs but I don't want to open anymore.  The helmet on my magnet fig is a little loose but I've heard of that happening randomly in battle packs too, so I'm not holding that against the magnet fig.  Otherwise they really look and feel identical.

#12 DLangRI

DLangRI

Member: 8630

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:37 AM

View PostBig Cam, on Mar 19 2010, 09:30 AM, said:

The helmet on my magnet fig is a little loose but I've heard of that happening randomly in battle packs too, so I'm not holding that against the magnet fig.  Otherwise they really look and feel identical.
My magnet Chrome Trooper's helmet isn't loose.

#13 Sid

Sid

Member: 9704

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:48 AM

These look amazing. Much better than I had thought. I went to TRU tonight but sadly they had run out. I'll try again at my other local stores. Instead, the cashier offered me a red wizard lego keychain - no thanks. I'm not paying your marked up price (of $2 on a battle pack) for a keychain. Needless to say I came home empty handed.
Always two there are. No more, no less. 

Visit my Bricklink Store

#14 Alice

Alice

• Queen of the Shadows

Member: 2227

Posted 20 March 2010 - 03:27 AM

I went to my Toys R' Us on Monday 3/15 and they were already out of these.  The employee I talked to said that they only got about 60 and it is quite a busy store.  I had a friend look for me on Tuesday at a store in a different city and they were also already out.  TRU didn't get many of these, so if you got one or several, you were pretty lucky.  

samuraiturtle, you should definitely leave it in the polybag as it is an exclusive collector's minifig.  That is what I would do.  With any play, the chrome will most likely chip off.  The TRU minifig is a lot more rare than the magnet and the polybag is part of that rarity.
"We accept the love we think we deserve."

#15 Blondie-Wan

Blondie-Wan

• Honest as Abe

Member: 5831

Posted 20 March 2010 - 04:18 PM

View PostBlondie-Wan, on Mar 18 2010, 05:11 PM, said:

Holy cats, they started at "free" but now they're three times that already?!?  :cry_happy:

:wink:

I've picked up a couple of these myself. I'd like to get a couple more, but money is so horribly tight for me (as usual) that I may not be able to, even getting battlepacks. We'll see, though.

That said, while this is quite nifty if somewhat pointless, what I really want is a chrome gold Threepio. That's a fig that really ought to be in a regular set; alas, since TLG offered it as a special limited-edition thing, it's probably considered "off limits" for incorporation into a regular set, and the 10,000 copies really aren't enough for everyone who'd like one, surely.

I never did manage to get one (that I know of - it's possible I have one somewhere in one of the few unopened sets I have from the promo period, but I know my odds aren't good), and there's just no way I can justify paying the kinds of prices they're going for on eBay.  :cry_sad:

It turned out I had a little more money than I thought, so I went back to get at least one more, since I do want multiples of the battlepacks anyway. Since I thought these might be good trading fodder, though, I really wanted a whole bunch, and of course I can always get the battlepacks slightly cheaper other places... so I decided to just buy some. As the promotion lets one get a free one for every LEGO Star Wars purchase of $12 or so ($11.99, to be precise) or more, and these themselves are LEGO Star Wars items that could also be purchased outright for $2.99 each, I asked if I could simply buy a few and get one more free, and indeed I could! I initially thought I might have to buy five, since that would put the purchase over $11.99, but they let me buy just four to get a freebie (either they didn't care about the three cents between $11.96 and $11.99, or they include the added sales tax as part of the purchase amount), so I paid for four more and got a fifth free, bringing my total up to seven. Huzzah!  :cry_happy:  Hopefully they'll help me acquire one or two of the other sets and such that I've missed over the years.  :cry_sad:

I was a little surprised my TRU even still had them as late as yesterday; perhaps LEGO Star Wars just isn't as hot in my area as in others.

Edited by Blondie-Wan, 20 March 2010 - 04:19 PM.

#16 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

View PostRoncanator, on Mar 18 2010, 11:43 PM, said:

Im real glad I bought one from Ebay quick cause i reckon these will go really quickly just like they did from toys r us. Great review! I mustve been really hard to photograph this beauty but you did a really good job.

One quibble though, in your totals you give it 0/10 for minifigs but I presume its meant to be 10. :classic:
Whoops, thanks for catching that.

Review updated.

#17 KimT

KimT

• Retired Backdoor Sneaky Sith

Member: 101

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:07 PM

Great review BigCam.
I wish they'd made this available here in Denmark...
Though I did purchase more than one of the magnets when they were available. :grin:
A shame that this one is actually as pricey as the magnet on BL, when it's been sold so much cheaper.

If anyone got a hold of a lot of these and would like to sell them for future contests here on EB, then shoot me a pm and we'll work something out.
When in doubt on how to do things - Check the Tutorial Index
Star Wars Forum Pool on flickr

"Onwards Men! Victory IS at hand" - Famous last words
"How can this possibly go wrong?" -Also Famous last words

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users