Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

The Legend Of Porthgwarra

4434601699_aa978f713a.jpg

Many Years ago, Nell, a young barmaiden at the Red Horse Inn, fell in love with a sailor named William whose ship came into port one day. Her parents disapproved of him and the two lovers were forbidden to ever meet again. The night before the sailor was due to leave on his ship, the pair managed one last meeting by the rocks on the beach. They vowed that they would be true to one another forever and, living or dead, they would one day meet again. The young sailor left port the next day and no news came from him for many months. Nell, growing more melancholy every day, watched for his ship from Hella Point under the old tree, which later became know as Nell's Point. Eventually, she became quite mad and did little else but lament the loss of her lover. One moonlit night, an old woman sitting up on the clifftop saw Nell walk down onto the beach and sit on a rock that was partially surrounded by water. The tide began to rise but Nell continued to gaze out to sea. The old woman, seeing the danger the girl was in, decided to go down and warn her of the dangerous rising water. When she arrived down on the beach, the old woman was surprised to see a sailor beside the young girl with his arm round her. Believing Nell to be safe, the old woman sat down to watch the couple, and she noticed a think mist forming. But the lovers did not move and, with increasing concern, the old woman called out to them. Neither of the lovers heeded her warning. The old woman started over to them, but to her astonishment the lovers suddenly appeared to float off over the sea and vanish into the mist. Nell was never ever seen again, and word came the next day that William's ship had gone down in a storm the night before with the loss of all life. The ghost of Nell and William are frequently seen on misty moonlit nights, and are considered by local sailors as an omen of disaster, and no one from Porthgwarra dares head out to sea on such nights.

4434600151_14648b3224.jpg

4434548099_a2c07a528d.jpg

4435323328_7db7c1908e.jpg

4435318768_5a6dc35d45.jpg

4435294252_3b4e7b8218.jpg

4435329878_b2e52ecb48.jpg

4435317128_8d5385360c.jpg

For more and larger pics vistit my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/45244184@N04/

Myths & Legends Part 2 'Mary Jane' coming soon.

I might try and put together a 'night scene' with Nell and the old woman down on the rocks. I'll see what i can do :pir-classic:

Great job Derfel! :thumbup: I love all of it, the green building looks great. You have so many round 1x1's that it's ridiculous :pir-oh3: , and I like the fact that it's linked to a story.

I might try and put together a 'night scene' with Nell and the old woman down on the rocks. I'll see what i can do :pir-classic:

That would be great. I think a lot of people would want to see more of the MOC when they see a ghost image on the frontpage.

blogged.png

Seriously, nice story and a fantastic MOC. Good work.

The story was familiar to me because on one of our Dutch islands there is quite famous story that's almost the same.

A wich is always robbing things that come ashore after a ship has sunk. One day she finds her son and she dies out of misery.

She was never seen again but at night people still hear her screaming.

I'm not worthy!! I'm not worthy!! My jaw dropped to the floor when i saw this. Such amazing detail, it just blows my mind. Can't wait to see the next one.

:jollyroger:

That would be great. I think a lot of people would want to see more of the MOC when they see a ghost image on the frontpage.

blogged.png

Seriously, nice story and a fantastic MOC. Good work.

The story was familiar to me because on one of our Dutch islands there is quite famous story that's almost the same.

A wich is always robbing things that come ashore after a ship has sunk. One day she finds her son and she dies out of misery.

She was never seen again but at night people still hear her screaming.

Thanks for the blog, legends often borrow from other legends and thats how they evolve, but theres usually a truth or real incident that starts it all off. Yes, a ghost would be cool, might be tricky to pull off in a good way though. I'll have to try it out.

What an astonishing creation Derfel Cardarn! I'm in love with the corner house, one of the best buildings I've ever seen! :pir-wub:

As for the rest, it is just awesome. The beach, the street and the overall feel are just epic. :thumbup:

I'm really looking forward to the next part!

Amazingly detailed work again DC! Love the background story. I love all the detailed buildings and the shoreline and figures are nicely done as well. The green building itself is equivalent to a Cafe Corner, so there is just loads of building on this beauty to enjoy! Who is the character standing between yours and Sly's figs?

I am inspired to have a go at a coastline myself soon. Cheers!

'Adventure !' - Flapjack (Cartoon Network) :pir-laugh:

AWESOME MOC 'Derfel', dam good ! :pir-cry_happy:

Mega action and mega detail ..........so this what happen to your W.I.P. eh ?

It's almost beyond words ! :pir-cry_happy:

Beautiful is another I guess I could use to describe this !

Excellent work and I'm a conformist! ...........oh can't wait for part two !! :pir-sweet:

wow Wow Wow Wwwwwwooooowwwwwww WOW wow.... wow. I'm having a hard time coming to words :pir-blush:

WOW

:pir_yoda:

Edit:

It's almost beyond words !

It is...

Edited by the_green_avenger

Beautiful work!

I love the beach with scattered rocks and the three different tones of sea water.

Also, I liked the curvature on that building in the corner. Nice technique!

Derfel, I am amazed at the frequency, size and consistency of your output!

Do you have all your MOCs built? or do you take them apart to build new ones every time?

Yes, a ghost would be cool, might be tricky to pull off in a good way though. I'll have to try it out.

Do you have any idea when you can have it finished (if you can make it anyway)?

I would like to know it so I can see if I can wait for it to place it in the frontpage article.

Do you have any idea when you can have it finished (if you can make it anyway)?

I would like to know it so I can see if I can wait for it to place it in the frontpage article.

I havn't really got the time as of yet to set up a really good ghostly picture, but i did make a quick attempt at one. Ive deliberatly made the couple on the rock look blurry, as most real pics of ghosts are never clear :pir_laugh2: This is the couple on the rock with the old woman in the background.

4438753831_15a5921ce3.jpg

And another one of the same shot, but with a bit more colour and weird effects on the ghosts. I think i prefer the first.

4438755579_d2e0059361.jpg

Thanks

Thanks for all the great comments everyone :pir-classic:

Amazingly detailed work again DC! Love the background story. I love all the detailed buildings and the shoreline and figures are nicely done as well. The green building itself is equivalent to a Cafe Corner, so there is just loads of building on this beauty to enjoy! Who is the character standing between yours and Sly's figs?

I am inspired to have a go at a coastline myself soon. Cheers!

Cheers mate! I wanted the corner building to stand out as a sort of centerpiece, which is why i went for the rarer colours and a chance to use those Emerald Night pieces. The fig between mine and sly's figs is just a particular pirate fig who appears in everyone of my land based mocs, he travels a lot :pir_laugh2:

Beautiful work!

I love the beach with scattered rocks and the three different tones of sea water.

Also, I liked the curvature on that building in the corner. Nice technique!

Derfel, I am amazed at the frequency, size and consistency of your output!

Do you have all your MOCs built? or do you take them apart to build new ones every time?

Thanks, its a bit of both really, some I keep assembled , others i pretty much take down straight after photographing. I did have quite a few assembled for my coastline, but ive realised that some of them look dated next to my newer ones, so im now rebuilding the whole coastline anew. This moc will be kept assembled and im going to rework, rebuild and update the others to tone in with this one with more details and more varied landscapes. This one is the only one that can be veiwed from any angle, as i built front and back on all house, which the other mos lacked, plus id like to take them to a show which means i need them looking nie from any view.

Thanks again, heres one last 'old' effect pic i tried out.

4438814081_ffe4d372d1.jpg

I really think you should. I am going to sound rude but I think your story is silly since you don't have any pictures of it in your MOC. The MOC is beyond awesome, but I wish your characters in the story would have been in the MOC. There are so many little scenes in this MOC that you could have included in the story but instead you talk about 2 women who aren't in the MOC at all.

Sorry, that just really bugged me, on to the MOC, it's amazing, like all your creations. The cobblestone work, the buildings and your foliage is perfect like your other MOC's. You really have a perfect handle on these Pirate theme MOC's. I like your incorporation of some EB members, are they plotting behind that building?

I really think you should. I am going to sound rude but I think your story is silly since you don't have any pictures of it in your MOC. The MOC is beyond awesome, but I wish your characters in the story would have been in the MOC. There are so many little scenes in this MOC that you could have included in the story but instead you talk about 2 women who aren't in the MOC at all.

Sorry, that just really bugged me, on to the MOC, it's amazing, like all your creations. The cobblestone work, the buildings and your foliage is perfect like your other MOC's. You really have a perfect handle on these Pirate theme MOC's. I like your incorporation of some EB members, are they plotting behind that building?

I was wondering when someone was going to pick up on that :pir_laugh2: . Yes you are right, I wasnt really sure how I was going to do it because I built the village to be set after the story happened so its known as a legend by the locals. But i did think at the same time that it did need the characters from the story in there. I did make the tree on the clifftop(Nell's Point), and the rock and pub that she was aquainted with, but no characters themselves. I have taken a pic of the ghostly couple on the rock with the old woman looking on, which i posted the other day. I think the pic is a few posts back.

Thanks for your comment and well pointed out! Its my bad, i should have put the picture in when i originally posted :pir-classic:

A hearrrrrty pirate congratulations on yet another outstanding MOC! I love the attention to detail, the incorporation of mythology and legends of nautical lore, and particularly the exceptional layout of the seafaring town. Color scheme is great, all the clever little additions are great...heck, everything on this is great!

Kudos!

I very much look forward to your next Pirate MOC.

This is the second MOC ive viewed of yours and im stunned! This has to be the best work ive ever seen, amazing detail and originality with the parts usage. Love the cobbled flooring, and the green building is remarkable! :)

Yet another superb creation! I thoroughly enjoy finding all of the little details. Well done!

- Swab