TOWN: Stapleton

14 replies to this topic

#1 Bob

Bob

• Existential Iffy-ness

Member: 3487

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:35 PM

Posted Image Layout

Recently, I hosted a mafia game on Eurobricks, called Prohibition Mafia. I called it Stapleton, mostly because I was sitting next to a box from Staples while making the game.
Anyway, I went out and bought the Grand Emporium yesterday, and spent most of last night building it. Most of the time, I just rearrange the buildings around, and call it a brand new city. However, this time, every building was deconstructed, and rebuilt so it would be modular. I still need to make a few more parts purchases, though, until I can claim that it is finished. I also need a train. Here are a few pictures:
Posted Image
An overview, from the harbor.
Posted Image
One side of the street.
Posted Image
It was either a train set up, or a monument. You can see which one I picked.
Posted Image
Another Overview.
Posted Image
I still need two more pure blue baseplates, however. The pirate-island ones aren't working out too much anymore. Since last time, I've updated the harbor, made most of the city modular, and increased the size of the Town Hall, by throwing the original town hall and courthouse together. I'm a bit pleased with the result.

Comments and questions?

Edited by Phred, 13 January 2012 - 04:26 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Click the Spock to see the guided tour through Lexington, my city.
Fleet Admiral Bob from Excalibur TNG: Mafia School!

Boris Benson in Jamesn's Red Menace Mafia!

Brickshelf

#2 Rapseflaps

Rapseflaps

• Rapsy needs to refresh his mind with a fresh new title!

Member: 7009

Posted 07 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

I quite like your town. The double road with the little park between the modular buildings is a great idea and makes the buildings look less like they dwarf everything around them.

But please, for the love of God, lay off that "sharpen image" button next time.  :oh3:
My Sets  |  My Town Project  |   LEGO Stuff at Flickr

Reviews:
4012 Wave Cops  |  6689 Post Station*  |  6563 Gator Landing  |  6661 Mobile TV Studio*  |  6357 Stunt 'Copter N' Truck*  |  6355 Derby Trotter*  |  6264 Forbidden Cove  |  6983 Ice Station Odyssey**  |  6394 Metro Park & Service Tower*/**
* Blogged on Classic-Town.net!
** Front-paged on Eurobricks.com!

#3 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 07 March 2010 - 09:54 PM

Looks great 'Bob The Constructionman' - can he build it ? :laugh:
Yes, he can ! :grin:
The road arrangement is cool - there is lots of action too ! (what's a city or town without something going on eh ?)
Your town rectangle (not square) is nice too !
See you were a lucky one - that retail chain called 'SHOP' are popping up everywhere aren't they ? :wink:
Great work and keep on bricking 'Bob The Constructionman' keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#4 Bob

Bob

• Existential Iffy-ness

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:19 PM

View PostRapseflaps, on Mar 7 2010, 01:49 PM, said:

I quite like your town. The double road with the little park between the modular buildings is a great idea and makes the buildings look less like they dwarf everything around them.
Thanks! The park was a last minute entry.

View PostRapseflaps, on Mar 7 2010, 01:49 PM, said:

But please, for the love of God, lay off that "sharpen image" button next time.  :oh3:
It does look rather bad, I must have dialed it up too much.

View Postlightningtiger, on Mar 7 2010, 04:54 PM, said:

The road arrangement is cool - there is lots of action too ! (what's a city or town without something going on eh ?)
Thanks!

Brickshelf

#5 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:00 AM

Nice town! I really like that park down the middle, and GE looks real nice too. Is that a hospital in the second picture?

#6 Bob

Bob

• Existential Iffy-ness

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:00 PM

Posted Image Layout

Updates:
Posted Image
I enlarged the harbor, the port, and the train system. However, as you may notice, there is a huge wide open space at the harbor. Any suggestions? I also need one more blue baseplate.
Posted Image
I was thinking populated it was larger crates, maybe an under construction boat, or a harbor office.
Posted Image
I didn't go to any kids-club meeting thing, I got the key chain, removed it, and painted over it. It looks good as new.
Posted Image
The weathered hospital next to the market. I tore down my large supermarket, and rebuilt the hospital, that plane you see flying around, and I made a smaller market.
Posted Image
Anyone have any ideas for a train? I might possibly wait for the rumored Public Transport Set, or I might wait or the Passenger Train that is coming out. Either that, or I'll just build my own. I'm leaning towards the last one, though.  
Posted Image
Stapleton's Flag, flying on city hall. I intend on moving it to the city square, on a flagpole.

Comments, Suggestions or Questions?

Brickshelf

#7 Col. Brik

Col. Brik

Member: 4374

Posted 13 March 2010 - 03:15 PM

Nice City! As for your large harbor area might you try a few large warehouses, a guard shack, fences, make it a secure harbor area? Then you could slip some mobsters in one warehouse for the cops to mess with..

#8 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:54 AM

Comming alone nicely 'Bob The Constructionman'  :sweet: - but I'm a little worried about the overhead railway - it's supports don't look strong enough to take a train at a higher speed than a crawl. Plus the platform, a bit dangerous with no guard rails to stop falls - Oops ! :devil:
Keep on bricking ! :sweet:

#9 Bob

Bob

• Existential Iffy-ness

Posted 14 March 2010 - 02:04 AM

View Postlightningtiger, on Mar 13 2010, 08:54 PM, said:

Comming alone nicely 'Bob The Constructionman'  :sweet: - but I'm a little worried about the overhead railway - it's supports don't look strong enough to take a train at a higher speed than a crawl. Plus the platform, a bit dangerous with no guard rails to stop falls - Oops ! :devil:
Keep on bricking ! :sweet:
Don't worry, that won't be the train platform. It's only a placeholder. I intend to add a small ticket booth, and some guard rails.

By the way, thanks for the Warehouse suggestion Col.Brik! I'll get to work right away on that.

Brickshelf

#10 awesomebrick

awesomebrick

Member: 9908

Posted 14 March 2010 - 10:50 AM

That's a really nice town you got there!
The modulars fit in nicely :thumbup:
very nice job :classic:
Posted Image
Thank's joey! Posted Image Posted Image

#11 The Player Nº1

The Player Nº1

Member: 9578

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:19 AM

I'd like to have a town like yours.
Congratulations.
Greetings

#12 brickme

brickme

• Dead Messenger

Member: 6489

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:06 PM

Good job so far! :thumbup:  Wait... Yep there's good ol' me and JCC. Never new the girl kid had red hair though. But the pics were all in black and white so oh well. Anyway have you considered adding a office supply store?
"A lie is a lie. Just because they write it down and call it history doesn't make it the truth. We live in a world where seeing is not believing, and everything you know is wrong." -Woods
Playing as Louis Harrison, a Police Officer in Bob's Red Scare Mystery.

#13 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:30 PM

For the harbor, make a warehouse or something.

#14 Bob

Bob

• Existential Iffy-ness

Posted 16 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

View Postawesomebrick, on Mar 14 2010, 06:50 AM, said:

That's a really nice town you got there!
The modulars fit in nicely :thumbup:
very nice job :classic:
Thanks! I tried to blend in the modulars as best as I could, sadly, that meant the other "Small Town" buildings had to be reborn into larger modules.

View PostThe Player Nº1, on Mar 14 2010, 07:19 AM, said:

I'd like to have a town like yours.
Congratulations.
Greetings
Thanks!

View Postbrickme, on Mar 14 2010, 04:06 PM, said:

Good job so far! :thumbup:  Wait... Yep there's good ol' me and JCC. Never new the girl kid had red hair though. But the pics were all in black and white so oh well. Anyway have you considered adding a office supply store?
I liked the look of the Prohibition Characters so much, I kept most of them. Thanks!

Brickshelf

#15 Eilif

Eilif

• Eco-friendly cheapskate

Member: 2913

Posted 16 March 2010 - 11:08 PM

Nice town Bob. As you know, I'm a particular fan of seaside towns, and this one is quite charming.  I like the long curving driveway and the neat boulevard it creates.  A few suggestions for improvement, most of which have to do with the harbor end of things.

-As you said, buy some blue baseplates to fill out your harbor. for the first time in about 15 years, LEGO is selling blue baseplates separately. At 5 bucks (BL used to sell them for 14) they are a steal. Get them now before LEGO decides to nix them.

-The roofs and facades of the buildings nearest the harbor and the cargo ship itself could use some detailing. The trouble with displaying the CC series buildings is that you then need to up-detail your own to match.

-The doc is a bit plain. A cargo crane, wearhouse, trucks, boathouse, or any number of other naval industrial structures could fill that space.  It's extra nice if you can make it seem like they all interact with one another. i.e. cargo goes from boat, to crane, to wearhouse, to truck or train... That's a good way to create a sense of action and continuity.

-A couple of fences and a simple awning would bring new life to the train platform.

keep up the good work!
Visit scenic Brickington
Article: How to get LEGO for a Penny Per Piece
Member, Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users