Jump to content


Mechanized Convoy


10 replies to this topic

#1 MacK

MacK

  • The DaddY MacK


    Posts: 907
    Joined: 07-April 08
    Member: 2984
    Country: Canada

Posted 28 February 2010 - 06:44 AM

Posted Image
Just some of my vehicles that are currently part of my army. Some of these I've posted already although there but there are also some newer ones here as well.
Enjoy!

I'm thinking about making this my new avatar picture, what do guy's think?
Posted Image

Overview from left to right:

- Two Light Patrol Vehicles (warthog knockoffs :tongue: )
- Lightly Armored Patrol Vehicle
- Heavy Self Propelled Artillery
- Amphibious Reconnaissance Tank
- Armored Personal Character
- Two supply trucks.

Posted Image


Ambush!

Posted Image

Off to the next battle.

Posted Image

Brickshelf

Thanks for looking C&C welcome!

Edited by Rufus, 02 July 2011 - 04:39 PM.
Indexed


#2 MacK

MacK

  • The DaddY MacK


    Posts: 907
    Joined: 07-April 08
    Member: 2984
    Country: Canada

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:14 AM

Well Gee, thanks for all the comments guys.

:hmpf_bad:

#3 prateek

prateek

  • Study hard!


    Posts: 10407
    Joined: 09-July 05
    Member: 426
    Country: Canada

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:45 AM

View PostMacK, on Mar 1 2010, 08:14 PM, said:

Well Gee, thanks for all the comments guys.

:hmpf_bad:
You're welcome. :tongue: This convoy looks really nice together. I really like that tank in the middle of the first pic, and I like how you made the turrets on top of the SUV and the warthog looking things :thumbup:

#4 MacK

MacK

  • The DaddY MacK


    Posts: 907
    Joined: 07-April 08
    Member: 2984
    Country: Canada

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:08 AM

You like the Heavy Self Propelled Artillery eh? And yes there areChinese MACK Union knock offs warthogs here :tongue: .

#5 Perterz

Perterz

    Posts: 315
    Joined: 15-April 09
    Member: 5815
    Country: Belgium

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

View PostMacK, on Mar 2 2010, 03:14 AM, said:

Well Gee, thanks for all the comments guys.

:hmpf_bad:

Well yeah, it's pretty much pointless to post any MOCs, nobody comments but a week later you see your stuff on somebody elses MOC and everybody is like 'wow original, never seen that done before'...
[/rant]

Anyway,
I like them tho, they look very well build and in proportion. The different shades of gray (?) add to the realism somehow, or is this caused by lightning?

Do you have a close-up picture  from one of the Jeeps on the left in this picture? They look funky fresh.

Quote

Posted Image


#6 MacK

MacK

  • The DaddY MacK


    Posts: 907
    Joined: 07-April 08
    Member: 2984
    Country: Canada

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:02 PM

View PostPerterz, on Mar 2 2010, 02:20 AM, said:

Well yeah, it's pretty much pointless to post any MOCs, nobody comments but a week later you see your stuff on somebody elses MOC and everybody is like 'wow original, never seen that done before'...
[/rant]

Anyway,
I like them tho, they look very well build and in proportion. The different shades of gray (?) add to the realism somehow, or is this caused by lightning?

Do you have a close-up picture  from one of the Jeeps on the left in this picture? They look funky fresh.

Yeah I've noticed the lack of comments here as well. Which is why I don't post all my mocs here any more, I found a different smaller forum to post instead. Anyways I'll put the warthog knock offs (the jeeps) on my to do list, and then I'l pm you once I get the pictures taken, m'kay?  

The different shades of grey are due to me mixing old and new grey together, which I'm glad you don't seem to mind.

#7 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1458
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:06 PM

View PostMacK, on Mar 2 2010, 03:14 AM, said:

Well Gee, thanks for all the comments guys.

:hmpf_bad:

Military MOCs tend to not get all that much attention compared to certain other themes. That applies to some of my military MOCs as well.

I did see these when you posted them, but if I don't think I have anything relevant or nice to write, I'd rather not write anything. It's not a bad collection of vehicles, but there isn't all that much that stands out to me.

I know grey is a popular colour for military MOCs, but it's not a very common colour for real military vehicles and doesn't look very realistic to me. The mix of old and new dark grey doesn't really stand out enough IMO. I'd rather see proper camouflage. That the troops wear white or blue doesn't really help either.

View PostPerterz, on Mar 2 2010, 10:20 AM, said:

Well yeah, it's pretty much pointless to post any MOCs, nobody comments but a week later you see your stuff on somebody elses MOC and everybody is like 'wow original, never seen that done before'...

People have short memories and don't see everything. I've posted MOCs that ended up on the front page and still a few months later people see something similar and go 'wow original, never seen that done before'. There are so many posts, so many MOCs and so many new posters that it's impossible to keep up with. Of course, if somebody does do something similar, that doesn't necessarily mean that they copied it from you.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#8 MacK

MacK

  • The DaddY MacK


    Posts: 907
    Joined: 07-April 08
    Member: 2984
    Country: Canada

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:24 AM

View PostRalph_S, on Mar 2 2010, 09:06 AM, said:

Military MOCs tend to not get all that much attention compared to certain other themes. That applies to some of my military MOCs as well.

I did see these when you posted them, but if I don't think I have anything relevant or nice to write, I'd rather not write anything. It's not a bad collection of vehicles, but there isn't all that much that stands out to me.

I know grey is a popular colour for military MOCs, but it's not a very common colour for real military vehicles and doesn't look very realistic to me. The mix of old and new dark grey doesn't really stand out enough IMO. I'd rather see proper camouflage. That the troops wear white or blue doesn't really help either.


Cheers,
Ralph

Well thanks for the comment Ralph S. I know that grey isn't the most realistic of military colours, but until Lego widely produces a suitable shade of dull dark green/olive in mass colours they'll have to stay that way.

Being that you are one of the better military builders out there what would you suggest I do to make these "stand out" more?

#9 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1458
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:54 AM

View PostMacK, on Mar 3 2010, 07:24 AM, said:

Well thanks for the comment Ralph S. I know that grey isn't the most realistic of military colours, but until Lego widely produces a suitable shade of dull dark green/olive in mass colours they'll have to stay that way.

Being that you are one of the better military builders out there what would you suggest I do to make these "stand out" more?

Thanks.
I generally don't build minifig scale military vehicles and it isn't easy to give you advice on this, but I'll try.
I understand that the rarity of more realistic colours is why a lot of people go for grey, but I think that there are colours that are fairly widely available that make for a more realistic look.

Old dark grey is already quite brown/ drab so it's not a bad colour to use. If you mix it with black and pay attention to making creating a proper camouflage pattern I think you'll end up with something nice. Building camouflage takes some getting used to, but I wrote some pointers a few months ago.

I'm currently working on a few military vehicles (on a large scale). They have two different schemes. I'm building a tan truck and have opted for a woodland scheme on an APC, a mix of black, brown and dark green. The parts selection I have in dark green is pretty poor (mainly basic brick and some slopes, very few plates), but my combining it with the other two colours in which I have a much larger variety means I can use it. I'd rather use the limited amount of pieces I have in rarer colours to build one vehicle that looks really good than building a large number of MOCs that are a bit so-so.


The trucks are too obviously based on the designs LEGO use for trucks in the city line and consequently they look too civilian to me. Real-world military trucks sometimes are based on civilian vehicles, but they'll usually have increased ground clearance and bigger wheels and tyres. I also think the black and yellow markings on one of them look very much out of place. Some of the details on the vehicles seem a bit random, such as the red transparent elements you've got here and there. The armoured vehicles could all do with more ground clearance as well. I know people rave about Halo, but to me the warthog doesn't look too convincing as a military vehicle. It's supposed to be some sort of fast attack/reconnaissance vehicle, but your models look too big for that, certainly compared to the other vehicles.

Please don't get me wrong: these vehicles aren't bad, but I see a so many other minifig scale army vehicles on the flickr military group, including some by very experienced builders (Aleksander Stein and Magnus Lauglo for instance) that it takes a lot for a vehicle to stand out.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#10 Fires-storm

Fires-storm

  • Modern Wright Brother


    Posts: 807
    Joined: 20-January 10
    Member: 9182
    Country: United States

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

You know, Ralph_s is right that there are a few things you could do to improve these, but over all, these gave me joy to look at, I liked the design features and all the details you gave to each vehicle. I also loved the little scale battle you made, and the entire thing in convoy position was a nice touch. All in all, I believe they are very good, and even though the color scheme isn't true to modern day, they gave me a nice sort of Sci-fi feel that I enjoy! Nice work! :thumbup:
If you cannot win the battle, win the war.

#11 MacK

MacK

  • The DaddY MacK


    Posts: 907
    Joined: 07-April 08
    Member: 2984
    Country: Canada

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

View PostRalph_S, on Mar 4 2010, 04:54 AM, said:

Thanks.
I generally don't build minifig scale military vehicles and it isn't easy to give you advice on this, but I'll try.
I understand that the rarity of more realistic colours is why a lot of people go for grey, but I think that there are colours that are fairly widely available that make for a more realistic look.

Old dark grey is already quite brown/ drab so it's not a bad colour to use. If you mix it with black and pay attention to making creating a proper camouflage pattern I think you'll end up with something nice. Building camouflage takes some getting used to, but I wrote some pointers a few months ago.

I'm currently working on a few military vehicles (on a large scale). They have two different schemes. I'm building a tan truck and have opted for a woodland scheme on an APC, a mix of black, brown and dark green. The parts selection I have in dark green is pretty poor (mainly basic brick and some slopes, very few plates), but my combining it with the other two colours in which I have a much larger variety means I can use it. I'd rather use the limited amount of pieces I have in rarer colours to build one vehicle that looks really good than building a large number of MOCs that are a bit so-so.


The trucks are too obviously based on the designs LEGO use for trucks in the city line and consequently they look too civilian to me. Real-world military trucks sometimes are based on civilian vehicles, but they'll usually have increased ground clearance and bigger wheels and tyres. I also think the black and yellow markings on one of them look very much out of place. Some of the details on the vehicles seem a bit random, such as the red transparent elements you've got here and there. The armoured vehicles could all do with more ground clearance as well. I know people rave about Halo, but to me the warthog doesn't look too convincing as a military vehicle. It's supposed to be some sort of fast attack/reconnaissance vehicle, but your models look too big for that, certainly compared to the other vehicles.

Please don't get me wrong: these vehicles aren't bad, but I see a so many other minifig scale army vehicles on the flickr military group, including some by very experienced builders (Aleksander Stein and Magnus Lauglo for instance) that it takes a lot for a vehicle to stand out.

Cheers,
Ralph

Well thank you for taking the time to give me some helpful pointers Ralph. I can see where you're coming from and will try to make a camo vehicle of my own next, using some of your advice. :classic:


View PostFires-storm, on Mar 6 2010, 08:46 AM, said:

You know, Ralph_s is right that there are a few things you could do to improve these, but over all, these gave me joy to look at, I liked the design features and all the details you gave to each vehicle. I also loved the little scale battle you made, and the entire thing in convoy position was a nice touch. All in all, I believe they are very good, and even though the color scheme isn't true to modern day, they gave me a nice sort of Sci-fi feel that I enjoy! Nice work! :thumbup:

Thank you I'm glad you enjoyed viewing them :sweet: .



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users