• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Watchman

Watchman

Member: 9712

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:25 AM

Posted Image

Hi.

This is my first post, so please forgive any stupidity on my part (and lack of avatar etc).

Although I really love the Emerald Night (still in it's box mind you), I was wondering about rebuilding it as a 4-4-0 or 4-6-0 model loco (just for a bit of variety).

Does anyone know any examples of this ?  or pitfalls that may be encoutered attempting it (i.e. rarity of dark green bricks limiting options) ?

Thanks

#2 Matt Dawson

Matt Dawson

Member: 7007

Posted 26 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

No, there's been no examples (excpet for a Monorail example, but i don't think that's what you mean..)

Personally (but without any experience of owning the set):

It should be pretty easy to rebuild the Emerald Night into a 'Atlantic' 4-4-2, as all that would be required would be a shortening of the boiler and removing the blind driver - it would probably look like a larger version of this:
Posted Image.

Conversion to a 4-6-0 would mean that you would have a large overhang at the rear end, unless you SERIOUSLY shorten the boiler/firebox. The closest thing to this would be a GWR 4-6-0 (castle below). Please note that the firebox on the EN is quite wide for Lego Train standards, and that a 4-6-0 would mean a reduction in width for the firebox.
Posted Image

An easier conversion might be to a 2-6-2 formation, such as the LNER V2, which would require an overall shortening of the boiler/smokebox and reduction is front bogie to leadign wheelset:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Want to see more photos? See my Flikr!
Posted Image

#3 Sir E Fullner

Sir E Fullner

• The Admiral's croissants smell delicious!

Member: 7307

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:03 PM

View PostWatchman, on Feb 26 2010, 01:25 AM, said:

Hi.

This is my first post, so please forgive any stupidity on my part (and lack of avatar etc).

Although I really love the Emerald Night (still in it's box mind you), I was wondering about rebuilding it as a 4-4-0 or 4-6-0 model loco (just for a bit of variety).

Does anyone know any examples of this ?  or pitfalls that may be encoutered attempting it (i.e. rarity of dark green bricks limiting options) ?

Thanks

I, too have tried to make different arrangements on my Emerald Night. I've done a 2-6-2, 4-6-0, and 4-4-2.
My favorite one was the 4-6-0, also the 2-6-2 (Looked like GREEN ARROW).  :classic:  :thumbup:

My MOCPage The Hon. Sir Ett. Fullner, esq, EoB, KEB My Brickshelf

Eat yer spinach, kiddies! However, don't forget the fish.
Posted Image

#4 Watchman

Watchman

Member: 9712

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:25 PM

Thanks Matt - yeah, I'd kind of been thinking along these lines ... guess it's time to crack open the box and get experimenting ?!

Attached File  schools_class.jpg   14.07K   86 downloads

efullner - any chance we could see some pictures of your experiments ?!  They sound good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users