• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic  – Started by Admiral Bejaune , Feb 24 2010 05:14 AM

#76 Phred

Phred
  • Tweet-meister

Member: 1037

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:05 PM

View PostCaptain Becker, on 08 April 2010 - 01:26 PM, said:

Those "Stripes are iron rings or something wich holded the mast together, The mast wasnt usually in 1 piece, iron "rings" holded it together. I cannot transelate the anserw how the mast were maked, but i guess someone knows how they were maked, in sweden they used that technique so i say: Keep those black bricks on the mast, it adds a relistic looks at me

Captain Becker
Captain Becker, the bottom portion of the masts for these frigates come from the cores of four tall pine trees.  The iron rings are what hold the four sections of mast together.  The tree cores made these masts very tough.  I do not believe any of the six original frigates ever lost more than a top mast.

View PostPerfectionist, on 10 April 2010 - 10:31 AM, said:

and it's still enormous for a frigate!
That is why these frigates were considered "Super-Frigates".  Their actual dimensions for length and beam were close to the same dimensions as a 74-gun ship of the line.  These Frigates typically also carried about 400 crew.  If I remember correctly from my reading, I believe they would have enough crew to fire full-broadsides from both sides of the ship.

View PostAdmiral Bejaune, on 11 April 2010 - 12:00 AM, said:

No Just long guns.. No carronades.  The Uss President's, as well as the Constitutions first armament did not have carronades, but just all long guns.  The long guns on the spar decks where replaced with carronade later on.  So I am making her armament like it was when it was first built. (That is also why her headrails are not like the current Constitutions headrails, and her stern has a bit more ornate look.  The headrails and stern design changed later in her career.)
I am glad to see that you are making the original design of the ship and its armament. :thumbup:
I like the way your figurehead looks.  IMO, I would use a brown or gray/blay for the hands and face though.
Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Pirates don't hunt for treasure.  They bury it- I mean we bury it.  - Captain Kirk

Posted Image

#77 Captain charleston

Captain charleston

Member: 11467

Posted 24 September 2010 - 02:48 AM

thats gonna be one big ship!

#78 plokoon 4 life!

plokoon 4 life!

Member: 11922

Posted 25 September 2010 - 05:25 AM

View PostAdmiral Bejaune, on 23 September 2010 - 02:01 PM, said:

No. Sang Royale has not been demolished.  Expect an update on the USS President soon.

YAY! the ultimate inspiration for the ultimate MOC :pir_laugh2:
Posted Image

#79 Admiral Bejaune

Admiral Bejaune
  • Guitar god!

Member: 1964

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:17 AM

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I have updated the President.  I have been busy with other things and have not had the time to work on it.  I have started to add her sails! I have many more to sails make and tons more running rigging to add, but here is how the ship looks now.  Oh and Sang Royale is alive and well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

She should be finished soon and I will give her a proper Post.

Admiral Bejaune
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Introduce a little Anarchy, Upset the Established Order, and Everything becomes chaos!"

"Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all." -Edward Teach

“Lego from BrickLink comes in small plastic bags....... So Does Drugs.” -Captain GreenHair

#80 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Pirate Pig

Member: 8823

Posted 15 November 2010 - 03:23 PM

Great to see her under full sails :pir-classic: And Sang Royale is still there and alive :pir-wub:
Great update, i would like to see more close up shots about the deck, mast, ridding etc. Great job overall.

Captain Becker
My LEGO collection

"An Admiral a day, keeps the Doctor away" General Skalldyr in ToR II

Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey Bluecoats FTW
Thank you Jebediahs

#81 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:16 PM

Looks great with those sails! And it's good to see that you're still building on your ships.
I like the sails of the president more than the ones of the Sang Royale, with more vertical lines (and a few horizontal ones).
Good job, I can't wait to see the final result!
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#82 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Member of the stwnfbjs Club

Member: 822

Posted 16 November 2010 - 11:07 AM

The President looks simply amazing. I has a perfect line and I just love the simple white/black color scheme. The angled side window of the cabin looks also great, so do the black and white masts. If I'm correct this will be the first US frigate made with LEGO on standard hull pieces that is worthy of the name "brickshipmodel". This belongs in the gallery of the very best brickshipmodels ever constructed (and that's not a very long list!).

I'm looking forward seeing many more pictures and close-ups once you have finished this beauty. For sure this deserves a new thread (and frontpage post) when that time has come!

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#83 Admiral Bejaune

Admiral Bejaune
  • Guitar god!

Posted 17 November 2010 - 06:24 AM

View PostAdmiral Croissant, on 15 November 2010 - 08:16 PM, said:

Looks great with those sails! And it's good to see that you're still building on your ships.
I like the sails of the president more than the ones of the Sang Royale, with more vertical lines (and a few horizontal ones).
Good job, I can't wait to see the final result!

Im glad you like my sails.  I have looked at a few sail plans and your wonderful frigate and her sails as a guildline for my sails on the President. So thank you for that.  I plan on rebuilding Sang Royale and redoing her rigging and update her sails in the near future (not a complete rebuild just some details, but a complete rerigging).

View PostBonaparte, on 16 November 2010 - 11:07 AM, said:

The President looks simply amazing. I has a perfect line and I just love the simple white/black color scheme. The angled side window of the cabin looks also great, so do the black and white masts. If I'm correct this will be the first US frigate made with LEGO on standard hull pieces that is worthy of the name "brickshipmodel". This belongs in the gallery of the very best brickshipmodels ever constructed (and that's not a very long list!).
I'm looking forward seeing many more pictures and close-ups once you have finished this beauty. For sure this deserves a new thread (and frontpage post) when that time has come!

Thank you for that great feedback. I am happy to read that a builder such as yourself finds my ship Brickshipmodel worthy!  And I will have many detail shots of this model when she is complete. So keep a eye out for it.

Thanks again for all the comments and feedback

-Admiral Bejaune

"Introduce a little Anarchy, Upset the Established Order, and Everything becomes chaos!"

"Only the devil and I know the whereabouts of my treasure, and the one of us who lives the longest should take it all." -Edward Teach

“Lego from BrickLink comes in small plastic bags....... So Does Drugs.” -Captain GreenHair

#84 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat
  • Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 18 November 2010 - 06:17 PM

This is turning into a real beauty, the sails, rigging and line look great!  :thumbup:
Hope I am allowed to make a few remarks:

-The window of the gallery looks a bit too much angled, it might look better if it were a bit more straight.
-I'm missing a 3d headrail and the vertical supports on it.
-Some of the rigging looks somewhat loose, but I guess you will fix that?

Can't wait to see her under full sail!
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#85 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Pirate Pig

Member: 8823

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:57 PM

View PostCaptain Green Hair, on 18 November 2010 - 06:17 PM, said:

-The window of the gallery looks a bit too much angled, it might look better if it were a bit more straight.

Oh yes, it is maby a bit too angeled, but at me it fits on the ship quite good. I have always been wondering how you guys make those angeled windows :pir-tongue:  Anyway, i think at the window could be a bit more straight indeed.

Captain Becker
My LEGO collection

"An Admiral a day, keeps the Doctor away" General Skalldyr in ToR II

Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey Bluecoats FTW
Thank you Jebediahs

#86 Admiral Bejaune

Admiral Bejaune
  • Guitar god!

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:03 PM

@Greenhair: The loose rigging will be tightened once the yards are in place with the sails on them. If they were as tight as they should be I couldn't get the yard arms on, so I'll tighten them once they are, and I'll play around with the stern.  
Thanks!

Admiral Bejaune

#87 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:01 PM

She is becoming a beauty Mister Béjaune. Lovely sight so from the distance. :pir-cry_happy:
The sails are a nice eye catcher already, and it will be even better is she's fully rigged.
Captain Greenhair already provided feedback on the ship from this angle, I do not really have something to add.
But I would die for some close up shots! :pir-sweet:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#88 Admiral Bejaune

Admiral Bejaune
  • Guitar god!

Posted 23 June 2011 - 06:20 AM

Hello everyone. It has been a while since I have posted progress on the Uss President. Ive had a busy past few months.  She is near completion... Only a few more rigging strings and a few details to the deck and she is all finished.  Here are a few teaser photos to hold you over.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ill give her a proper thread when 100 percent complete.

-Admiral Bejuane.

Edited by Admiral Bejaune, 23 June 2011 - 06:40 AM.

#89 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 23 June 2011 - 09:29 AM

Awesome! The sails have a nice colour and especially the last shot looks extremely realistic :thumbup:
I was only wondering, is the pennant in the right colours?
Anyway, I can't wait to see the final result (which deserves a new thread IMO :pir-classic: ).
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#90 Aalak

Aalak

Member: 5949

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:43 PM

Wow. She's a real beauty... The sails look really great! Can't wait to see more of her! The Stern looks simple with the ornaments but really great! Hope to see more closeups,soon!

#91 Darth Yogi

Darth Yogi
  • im from no-caps country

Member: 11065

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:22 PM

Wow, this is one of my favorite ships I've ever seen.  I love the sails, and can't wait for the details.  I just started a ship with a similar color scheme, and will definitely be using your great ship as inspiration.

Great job :thumbup:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image  Posted Image  
The Rabbit( MCW Contest entry)...........................Arrival on Tatooine...................................................Bail Organa's Airspeeder........................................Le Sans Fin

Flickr

#92 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

An amazing vessel, you have outdone yourself Admiral! Especially those sails, just plain excellent! I can't wait for the final thread, with some detailed pictures! :pir-wub:

Soon another beauty will sail the seas! :thumbup:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#93 Sebeus I

Sebeus I
  • Winner of the Third Tournament of Retribution!

Member: 3891

Posted 25 June 2011 - 11:43 AM

She's looking good allright, sails and rigging are very nice, I suppose those are worth the effort :S
Keep it up.

#94 Lord Derfel Cadarn

Lord Derfel Cadarn
  • Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.

Member: 5528

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:59 PM

This looks seriously good! As others have said, the sails look great as all the other details. Nice work on the rigging, I'm currently rigging my two ships and it's a pain! Great pics of the ship with some good old 'tallica in the background! I look forward to seeing her completed.
Posted Image     Posted Image                                                                          
                                    Lord Of The Dark Isle                 
                                                      My Flickr

#95 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo
  • god for 10

Member: 1816

Posted 27 September 2011 - 12:53 AM

Almost time for an update Admiral? :pir-classic:

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au

#96 Ratshot

Ratshot
  • Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:54 AM

View PostCaptain Zuloo, on 27 September 2011 - 12:53 AM, said:

Almost time for an update Admiral? :pir-classic:
Agreed, it would be nice to see one!

:pir-classic:

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#97 Bonaparte

Bonaparte
  • Member of the stwnfbjs Club

Member: 822

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

How is this project progressing dear Admiral? I'd be most interested to see an update.

Want to find out more about our Reviewers Academy? Just click the logo.

Posted Image

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

#98 Admiral Bejaune

Admiral Bejaune
  • Guitar god!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

View PostBonaparte, on 15 April 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

How is this project progressing dear Admiral? I'd be most interested to see an update.

She has been complete for a while now... She was at Brickfair 2012 along with Sang Royale... I just have not the time right now to take proper photos of her. I can, however take lower quality photos with no backdrop to hold everybody over while I set up for better ones... The bump of this thread has inspired me to give her a proper thread... Ill be working on that to post this week.  Here are a few photos (not mine) from Brickfair and with me behind my ships... To see more flickr search "Brickfair AL".
Best photo I found of the President from Brickfair!  CLICK HERE!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Admiral Bejaune, 17 April 2012 - 04:10 AM.

#99 chrisellis

chrisellis

Member: 28022

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

glad you appreciated the photos I took. I was told you are the best ship builder

#100 Admiral Bejaune

Admiral Bejaune
  • Guitar god!

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

View Postchrisellis, on 17 April 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

glad you appreciated the photos I took. I was told you are the best ship builder

Thanks for taking the great photos at brickfair. Hope you dont mind that I used them.  Welcome to eurobricks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links