WesternOutlaw

ARTICLE: Tale of Two Lighthouses

avsaltyseadog.jpg

Gather around all ya scurvy sea go’en fans, tonight by the dark waters of Dock 13, I’m go’en to tell you a Tale of Two Lighthouses. My story begins at a light known as Dolphin Point. Some might call ‘er pink, but don’t let the color fool ya, for she could at one time withstand some of the most formidable of storms. With four foolish, fun figs, more along the lines of vacationers, one had a hobby near and dear to my heart, for when the sardine cans were run’n low, he could grill a mean mackerel. The old stone light had a twisting staircase leading up to the fresnel lense, and a classic-style telescope could spy a ship in the roughest of nearby waters. During better weather, a small sailing vessel could be found circling the sand covered shores with a friendly Flipper chasing behind; but that’s not to say that the vacationers should have left off their brightly yellow colored life vests. Music from a printed cassette radio played Surf’n USA that day, under the shade of an inviting palm. Polly the Parrot even whistled the tune as the ladies set the table in preparation for the catch of the day. None of them suspected the perfect storm that would soon devastate Dolphin Point and the rest of Classic Town.

gallery_174_77_118651.jpg

Thirteen (13) years would pass, an unlucky number, before a new lighthouse would be erected at twice the cost, this one built by the U.S. Coast Guard bearing it’s new bright orange signature color. The ground surrounding the light would be built up to protect the tower from the roughest of waves, and the classic telescope of Dolphin Point replaced by a new electrical radar system. One keeper now watches as a silly surfer can be seen in the distance. An additional light beacon nearby the dock warns unsuspecting ships of the added danger due to squalls in the area. A mid-sized coastal cutter manned by one pilot and diver patrols as an extra precaution, but a grey shark has made the nearby waters his new feeding ground. How long until the next perfect storm? Only you can decide the fate of the LEGO Lighthouse after reading this tale, a Tale of Two Lighthouses.

gallery_174_77_8055.jpg

Pink is cute - but coast guard is COOL ! :grin:

I have built two of those - the remaining one sits in the bathroom for my son to play with and the CG ship !

If I was into classic - the older one would be for me - but I'm not - so make it white and orange for me - at least they'll save me from drowning while the other might save a place for a facial and hair-do ! :grin:

I'm a conformist! everyone ! :sweet:

I like the Coast Guard one better, just because a pink lighthouse is just wussy :tongue:

I think we need a proper light house, maybe red or brown, with rocky edges with a dock and a ghost :thumbup:

Edited by prateek

Great presentation you've made here TheBrickster! The tale was very fun to read. :thumbup:

The Paradisa lighthouse has a very interesting design (I won't mention the colours since pink is not really my cup of tea) and it could be a good basis for a new official lighthouse from TLG.

The 7739 is the first set I bought after exiting dark ages and it still holds a special place in my heart. :cry_happy: Although that the structure included is not a proper lighthouse

(it's more of a watch/control tower) it still has the "lighthouse look" and impression. I really like it, despite the fact that it's mostly made of big pieces.

A new official lighthouse with a Power Functions light brick would have been great! :wub:

P.S

Give us more Nautica sets TLG!!! :sing:

Pink is cute - but coast guard is COOL ! :grin:

I seem to remember the Paradisia collection in the stores, but the pink was a huge turn-off. Now I would love to get my hands on Dolphin Point. :wub:

I think we need a proper light house, maybe red or brown, with rocky edges with a dock and a ghost :thumbup:

That's a great thought. I've always been a fan of lighthouses, and a traditional lighthouse similar to those in Legoland, but in minifig scale would be nice. I love the ghost idea as well.

Great presentation you've made here TheBrickster! The tale was very fun to read.

Thanks! :classic: Glad you enjoyed it. I noticed that it only got a few responses, so I appreciate the feedback.

A PF light brick would be a nice addition to a new LEGO lighthouse. Nautical may not be as popular as traditional City themes, but I'm sure we'll see it return again in some shape or form.

That was very intertaining Brickster! :thumbup::sweet:

I really enjoyed reading it.

Man the nerve of that coast guard, sticking a huge ugly lighthouse with state of the art technology in it, they just killed that lovely place... :tongue: Nah! :laugh:

Both are cool sets. :wub:

CommanderFox

Man the nerve of that coast guard, sticking a huge ugly lighthouse with state of the art technology in it, they just killed that lovely place... :tongue: Nah!

I almost tend to agree with you, although the Coast Guard set isn't bad.

Your comment reminds me of a visit to this lighthouse in Santa Barbara. It's now a pizza restaurant:

lighthousepizza.jpg

I really like the pink one (set). The problem with it, it's pink :tongue: . If it was another color, I think it would make for a nice little Lighthouse set.