Jump to content


RustedRat


8 replies to this topic

#1 Perterz

Perterz

    Posts: 315
    Joined: 15-April 09
    Member: 5815
    Country: Belgium

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

Posted Image
Good day all,

After my first large scale car I've build a second one, another rod.

There's not much to say about this creation, a rough 800 pieces found their way into this.
The main experiment was to create some rusted bits and pieces through the bodywork and engine,
I've tried to accomplish this goal by using Reddish Brown parts, I intented to use this color mixed with some Dark Orange but I had to scrap the last one since the parts I need do not exist in that color or were to expensive!

I'm really happy with the result, I love Rat Rods and hope to build/drive one someday in my life.

I hope you enjoy the MOC as much as I do, if I only could eliminate the dust  :cry_sad:
O yeah note that the 2 yellow Technic connectors will be replaced by black ones, the 2 trans medium blue dishes I used as lights will be replaced by trans yellow ones.


Posted Image


FLICKr


Kevin

Edited by Rufus, 02 July 2011 - 03:43 PM.
Indexed


#2 L-space

L-space

    Posts: 945
    Joined: 25-November 08
    Member: 4504
    Country: the Netherlands

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:13 PM

Excellent work Perterz.  :thumbup:

The overall look certainly screams ratrod to me.

Small comment: I would change the wheels. front wheels to the rear and more narrow wheels on front.
Other then that it is just perfect.
the Turtle moves...

clicky:

Posted Image
L-space | Brickshelf | Brickset | flickr


#3 Perterz

Perterz

    Posts: 315
    Joined: 15-April 09
    Member: 5815
    Country: Belgium

Posted 24 February 2010 - 04:47 PM

View PostL-space, on Feb 23 2010, 04:13 PM, said:

Excellent work Perterz.  :thumbup:

The overall look certainly screams ratrod to me.

Small comment: I would change the wheels. front wheels to the rear and more narrow wheels on front.
Other then that it is just perfect.

Thanks man! Yes I feel the same, front wheels are to wide. The day LEGO produces the wheel that would fit the best in Black is the day those wheels will be added to the MOC..


Sidenote:
Did I post this in the wrong forum?!

Kevin.

Edited by Perterz, 24 February 2010 - 05:03 PM.


#4 Perterz

Perterz

    Posts: 315
    Joined: 15-April 09
    Member: 5815
    Country: Belgium

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:19 PM

As promised, the Trans Yellow dishes and Black connectors are added to finish the car  :classic:

Posted Image

#5 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1456
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 05 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

The yellow headlights are definitely an improvement. I can understand the issue with the tyres. the ones with a fairly large diameter tend to also be very wide.

There is an alternative to the front wheels you've used on this one though.

I took a picture of some of the different tyre sizes LEGO makes a while ago.
Posted Image

If I'm not mistaken, the type you've used in the front is shown on the bottom row, 2nd from left. The one above it in the picture (bricklink) has the same diameter, but is narrower. You can get similarly styled rims for the wider tyres as well (bricklink) (not shown in my picture) so that you can have matching rims on the front and rear wheels.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#6 Perterz

Perterz

    Posts: 315
    Joined: 15-April 09
    Member: 5815
    Country: Belgium

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:25 PM

View PostRalph_S, on Mar 5 2010, 05:58 PM, said:

The yellow headlights are definitely an improvement. I can understand the issue with the tyres. the ones with a fairly large diameter tend to also be very wide.

There is an alternative to the front wheels you've used on this one though.

I took a picture of some of the different tyre sizes LEGO makes a while ago.
*snip*

If I'm not mistaken, the type you've used in the front is shown on the bottom row, 2nd from left. The one above it in the picture (bricklink) has the same diameter, but is narrower. You can get similarly styled rims for the wider tyres as well (bricklink) (not shown in my picture) so that you can have matching rims on the front and rear wheels.

Cheers,
Ralph

I've used the bottom row second from the right at the front, I'm looking for these in black for the front.
Those are the narrow version of the rim I used currently but it doesn't exist in black  :sceptic:
I'm looking into your picture for other rims, thanks!

Kevin

#7 Fires-storm

Fires-storm

  • Modern Wright Brother


    Posts: 807
    Joined: 20-January 10
    Member: 9182
    Country: United States

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:02 AM

Wow, a truly stunning moc, looks pretty much exactly like a Ratrod! I love all the detail you worked in, down to the ehadgear hood ornament. Great job, and keep bricking :thumbup:
If you cannot win the battle, win the war.

#8 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1456
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:03 AM

View PostPerterz, on Mar 7 2010, 12:25 AM, said:

I've used the bottom row second from the right at the front, I'm looking for these in black for the front.
Those are the narrow version of the rim I used currently but it doesn't exist in black  :sceptic:
I'm looking into your picture for other rims, thanks!

Kevin

You're welcome. For me building a LEGO car usually starts with finding the right wheel. I'd love to have some of the ones you linked to in black. I could do with a few more greay ones, too actually. I think I have two of them right now.

Have you considered the older style model team wheels? Even though they were never available in sets, some of them are for sale on bricklink (I happen to have bought two of them only last week). With the matching tyre they'll give you the same diameter.

BTW, I realise that I completely forgot to compliment you on the actual MOC. It looks suitably ratty and has some really neat details such as the little teeth under the radiator.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#9 Perterz

Perterz

    Posts: 315
    Joined: 15-April 09
    Member: 5815
    Country: Belgium

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

View PostFires-storm, on Mar 7 2010, 01:02 AM, said:

Wow, a truly stunning moc, looks pretty much exactly like a Ratrod! I love all the detail you worked in, down to the ehadgear hood ornament. Great job, and keep bricking :thumbup:

Thanks, glad you like it!

'Ralph_S' said:

You're welcome. For me building a LEGO car usually starts with finding the right wheel. I'd love to have some of the ones you linked to in black. I could do with a few more greay ones, too actually. I think I have two of them right now.

Yes me too! I have a bunch of white ones tho..

'Ralph_S' said:

Have you considered the older style model team wheels? Even though they were never available in sets, some of them are for sale on bricklink (I happen to have bought two of them only last week). With the matching tyre they'll give you the same diameter.

These indeed are pretty interesting, their design is growing on me and having different widths is very welcome!

'Ralph_S' said:

BTW, I realise that I completely forgot to compliment you on the actual MOC. It looks suitably ratty and has some really neat details such as the little teeth under the radiator.

Cheers,
Ralph

No problem, thanks for the words and help!

Kevin



Reply to this topic



  


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users