MOC: Junkers Ju 88

11 replies to this topic

#1 VMLN8R

VMLN8R

Member: 7017

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:03 PM

Posted Image
Hi everyone,

I’d like to share my latest creation: the Junkers Ju 88. It’s a Luftwaffe airplane that had many roles. According to wikipedia it was used as a: Dive bomber/Tactical bomber/Night fighter/Torpedo bomber/Heavy fighter - phew!

The idea for making this plane in Lego came to me after recently re-reading Roald Dahl’s autobiography Going Solo. There’s a great chapter where he encounters six Ju 88s in his Hurricane. I sure wouldn’t want to encounter one (especially not with a Hurricane): three pairs of eyes per plane plus front and rear gunners. For those who’ve read the book, I’ll start with a modified picture in the style of photographs in the book:

Posted Image

I decided it’d be nice to try and build it using only parts from the IJ set 7198 Fighter Plane attack. It was fun to try and make something with a limited palette. This sort of dictated a building a “Lego Ju-88” rather than a “Ju 88 made using Lego.” Does this make any sense? The main flaw it that it seats only two people: A pilot and a front gunner – perhaps I’ll try to rebuild this again in the future with Indy’s dad controlling the rear machineguns :tongue:

Unmodified version of the first pic, showing my favourite view, front on, attack mode:

Posted Image

Further images:

Posted Image

Posted Image

There are plenty more images in higher resolution in my brickshelf folder where I may upload an Ldraw model if anyone is interested and I’m able to get my head around using Ldraw!

Thanks for looking, one more ‘chopped image, over and out!

Posted Image

Edited by Rufus, 29 May 2011 - 03:12 PM.
Indexed

#2 CallMePie

CallMePie

• DAMN Heroica badass

Member: 7199

Posted 08 February 2010 - 11:08 PM

Just a good ol' fashion fighter. Easily matches the official ones. I like that it has some of both colors.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Atramor Gibbin, Level 34 Regulator in Sandy's Heroica RPG
Miderun, Level 5 Barbarian in Sandy's Heroica RPG

#3 samuraiturtle

samuraiturtle

Member: 9090

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:47 AM

View PostVMLN8R, on Feb 8 2010, 06:03 PM, said:

Posted Image
At first I thought you threw the plane, until I seen the original picture.   :blush:  Over all a nice plane.   :thumbup:

#4 VMLN8R

VMLN8R

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:00 AM

View Postsamuraiturtle, on Feb 9 2010, 09:47 PM, said:

At first I thought you threw the plane, until I seen the original picture.   :blush:  Over all a nice plane.   :thumbup:

:tongue: I'd never do that, I've become quite fond of it. Actually a sloping section of the garden had been marked off with string so I placed the plane on a convenient corner. Thanks for the comments both samuraiturtle and er, CallMePie. Your sig is funny!

#5 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Doing the Chicken Dance

Member: 7997

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

Very nicely done 'VMLN8R' very nice indeed ! :thumbup:
You have followed the lines of a Ju88 just about spot on !
Love the in fight picture - so cool ! :grin:
Keep on bricking 'VMLN8R' keep on bricking ! :classic:

#6 Andre1983nl

Andre1983nl

Member: 6117

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

:thumbup:  Nice!  Planes for a Stuka?
Forever "Legoland" Lego! Last year 1989.

Posted Image

I have the 6286!

#7 VMLN8R

VMLN8R

Posted 13 February 2010 - 03:36 AM

Thanks for the nice comments guys :classic:

Andre, I had heard of Stukas but never seen a picture of one. After googling I think it will be do-able, using pieces from 7198. I think it'd be cool to see how many planes can be made from the one set but first I'd like to archive this one by making a 3D model. As soon as I figure that out I'll give it a try, looks like a nice challenge!

#8 Legostein

Legostein

• I'm a million!

Member: 1505

Posted 14 February 2010 - 04:21 PM

Hello!

This is already pretty nice. :classic: However the front looks really flat. I could imagine that the following piece would give it a much more realistic look. :classic:

Posted Image
Image taken from BrickLink.

Cheers,

~ Christopher
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

#9 VMLN8R

VMLN8R

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:31 AM

View PostLegostein, on Feb 15 2010, 05:21 AM, said:

Hello!

This is already pretty nice. :classic: However the front looks really flat. I could imagine that the following piece would give it a much more realistic look. :classic:

Posted Image
Image taken from BrickLink.

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Thanks Christopher :classic: Given enough time and money I would certainly like to build a bigger and more realistic version with landing gear, flaps, etc.

#10 Fires-storm

Fires-storm

• Modern Wright Brother

Member: 9182

Posted 06 March 2010 - 04:02 PM

Hello, definitely a beautiful model of this plane, you captured pretty much every detail on it! I love how this thing turned out, it looks truly amazing, keep bricking :thumbup:
If you cannot win the battle, win the war.

#11 VMLN8R

VMLN8R

Posted 22 January 2011 - 03:18 AM

Finally got around to uploading an LDD model I made in August. Of course you'll only need bricks from the Indiana Jones set 7198.

Posted Image

Download here.

#12 KielDaMan

KielDaMan

Member: 5203

Posted 22 January 2011 - 06:53 AM

Very nice WWII airplane VLMN8R, thank you for sharing your LDD Model! I took the liberty to include the LXF in the Index. :wink:

NEW! Legends of Chima Review: 70008 - Gorzan's Gorilla Striker

Posted Image

Currently playing as the Sheriff Kenneth Emanuel in Tamamono's Silver City Mafia

My Eurobricks Page / My flickr / My MOCpages

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users