Torax

Moonbase/The Soldiers' Fort Standard

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hello.

I have a quick question/idea.

I've read these articles on slassic space.com and ForbiddenCove.com about some modules. "Standards"... They occur in two themes that I know of.

They seem really esciting and fun to build, but I am no huge fan of either theme.

There is Moonbase modules for space and The Soldiers' Fort Standard for Pirates (There might be more.)

Which brings me to my question;

Is there a standard for building Star Wars themed module MOCs? (Or for other themes.)

Is that what the Eurobricks Star Wars Community Build is?

Should I create my own standard?

Would people use it?

Would the modules make Deathstar corridors, The Palace of Theed, a Battlefield, or maybe the 'streets' of Coruscant?

Update

Vote here!

Please discuss.

Regards,

Torax

Edited by KimT

I just build with no plan or standard, maybe that's why I keep trying to impress others.

Yes but by standard I mean something people could build for fun, and then put together so all the small modules make something large.

But of course it it also really fun just to build it and upload photos of it to the internet for everyone to see. (Not get together and put the modules together.)

Basically, a standard so the MOCs fit together.

Do I make sense to everyone?

(I barely make sense to myself.)

Oh, well I build also to build some of the stories [AKA Dance with the Devil in Other Lego Themes] to excite my readers. Oh I'm still a bit confused what you meant. Explain please

You're thinking something like the classic-space.com moonbase standards?

3078261020_1148beb7e2_o.jpg

3078261050_df20bcb480_o.jpg

3078261158_bd9fce6833.jpg

(pictures borrowed from classic-space.com)

The Eurobricks Star Wars Community Build is a modular build with a standard.

The modules are all part of the interior of a Venator, but I wouldn't say it's exactly the same.

The Moonbase-standard is great for meeting at events and then joining all the modules each person brings along.

Putting all the Venator modules together wouldn't make a Venator - I like the project though :thumbup:

Perhaps we should make a standard for Star Wars Moonbase modules?

We could use the great standard from classic-space.com and then tweak it a bit?

Perhaps have different colours for different fractions?

Tan for Sandpeople (yes I know they live in huts, but a Sanpeople Moonbase people!? :grin:)

White/black for the Empire

Tan/white/red for Rebels

Or something like that?

We could make the corridors wider and taller?

It's all up to you guys.

Personally I think it'd be awesome to have EB Star Wars Moonbase modules at different events and cons around the world.

That would be a really cool project, especially a sand people one. The enclave on KOTOR would be a good example. A empire or rebel one would be really good too.

Well sounds like you’ve hit community gold. I would recommend that this community create a “Create the SWU Standard” thread in which people can post their MOC recommendations for and SWU standard(s). Then the EB community could vote on which makes the most sense/looks best/etc. And run with it. Unless someone can find an already set forth SWU Standard.

Also I would recommend that people involved in other forums copy and paste the original question into their communities with intent that persons from those communities could join EuroBricks (if not already members here) to help in the creation and voting of the standard. The quicker the EuroBricks staff move on this the more likely that this forum and the creator of the final EB SWU “standard” would have as becoming not only the EB standard but the larger community’s standard.

Like someone already said we would need standards for mainly buildings. Anything else would require slight changes to the “standard” for that specific project. 16x16 or 32x32 plates would make sense. The standard should be the larger of the two with the option to build ¼ standards similar to the Microscale City standard.

Details that should be thought about should be:

Wall thickness (and shape if any)

Placement of doors and hatches

Height of walls or floors (I.E. one standard floor being 8 studs tall.)

Color sequencing (I.E. Black & Dark Grey = Imperial, White and Red or Tan = Rebel, etc.)

Good Luck and Godspeed

A Star Wars Universe standard when it comes to modular building on 48 x 48 baseplates sounds awesome.

Keep posting your thoughts people and I'll sum it all up in a few days and try to make a single and comprehensive topic for us to gather ideas for such a thing.

I have a few thoughts already.

Are we talking bases? as in Endor Bunkers, random planet bases and such?

If so, then are they to be raised - as the moonbase standard?

How wide do we want the corridors, or is that not to be restricted?

What's the requirements/standards for adjoining modules - how do they connect?

Just a few thoughts.

Base would be fine. No wait...A Jedi Enclave like the one on Dantooine maybe. Wouldn't have to be elevated, corridors should be a certain standard size, major paths could be a bit wider. They could connect with the 2x1 bricks with a center hole, more or less depending on the height, and connected with the Technic pins.

Example:

Normal and large Corridors are eight studs tall

Normal corridors are six (6) studs wide

Large corridors are eight (8) studs wide

These are just ideas, someone can expand the ideas.

You're thinking something like the classic-space.com moonbase standards?

The Eurobricks Star Wars Community Build is a modular build with a standard.

The modules are all part of the interior of a Venator, but I wouldn't say it's exactly the same.

The Moonbase-standard is great for meeting at events and then joining all the modules each person brings along.

Putting all the Venator modules together wouldn't make a Venator - I like the project though :thumbup:

Perhaps we should make a standard for Star Wars Moonbase modules?

We could use the great standard from classic-space.com and then tweak it a bit?

Tan for Sandpeople (yes I know they live in huts, but a Sanpeople Moonbase people!? :grin: )

Tan/white/red for Rebels

Or something like that?

We could make the corridors wider and taller?

It's all up to you guys.

Personally I think it'd be awesome to have EB Star Wars Moonbase modules at different events and cons around the world.

I think you read my thoughts there, this is exactly what I was talking about.

With you permission, KimT and with a small name change of this topic, I would gladly lead our forces to the ultimate SW Base!

From BrickWiki (thanks tedbeard for link):

A modular building standard is a set of guidelines allowing multiple builders to join models together in a larger display, usually at a public event such as a train show or Fest. Modular building standards have been created both by LEGO itself (ie. Modular Houses) and by fans (ie. Classic Castle City standard).

Advantages

One of the main advantages of modular building standards is that several AFOLs with collections of widely varying sizes can all contribute to make a city, landscape or battle scene of enormous size.

Limitations

Each standard imposes restrictions of one kind or another to allow for connections of one MOC to another to create a seamless (or nearly seamless) whole.

And we might make different factions.

As KimT said... (also quoted above)

Tan for Sandpeople (yes I know they live in huts, but a Sanpeople Moonbase people!? :grin: )

Tan/white/red for Rebels

But I think Black/Dark Grey/Grey would be more fit for the Empire.

Maybe some PT? There could be White for the Republic and Tan/White or Blue/White for the CIS.

Oh and maybe a Rebel Hoth base? White of course, with corridors and a hangar! (Hangar made up from several modules).

IMO, it should be on a 32x32 baseplate, or maybe even smaller, such as 16x16.

Should I make a poll to this, or start a new topic?

Can't wait!

Edited by Torax

I just patched something together....

It is a rough start of what is to be the Star Wars Standard! (Hopefully.)

Here it is:

LEGO Star Wars Standards

By The EuroBricks Community

Written By Torax

Hoth Rebel Base Standard

Size: 32x32 studs

Terrain: Not raised

Corridor width: 10 studs

Colour Theme: White (Snow)

Death Star Standard

Terrain: Raised

Colour Theme: Dark Grey/Dark Bluish Gray, Black, Light Gray/Light Bluish Gray (Metal/whatever the Death Star is made from! :P)

Tusken Raider Camp Standard

Terrain: Not raised

Colour Theme: Tan (Sand, Tatooine cliffs)

Notes: Tusken Raider tents may be placed anywhere in the baseplate, but there must be a ‘corridor’ 11 studs in from every corner (10 studs wide)

Republic Outpost Standard

Terrain: Both

Colour Theme: White (the ‘sterile’ environment all republic bases have)

CIS Outpost Standard

Colour Theme: Blue & White or Tan & White (The CIS colours)

Jedi Temple Standard

Colour Theme: ? Dark Grey?

Notes: Use lots of pillars!

Edited by Torax

Why go with 32 x 32 when a standard baseplate is 48 x 48 ?

To me, 48x48 studs is pretty big, and hard to MOC on without it looking bare.

Maybe not everyone feels this way, so it could be changed.

We should make a poll topic.

With your permission?

Go ahead.

Feel free to create new topics as needed.

This one could be kept as a discussion topic.

I can always merge vote topics that have been done into this one a later point for reference.

"Go Go Go!"

May I recommend this book, Star Wars Complete Locations, This is an amazing resource with detailed cross sectional images of many well known movie locations. I was planning on using it for MOCing in the future. I suggest you try and tackle it one location at a time though.

Good luck. :thumbup:

Let's be careful not to start describing what a specific module should be. This can take a lot of creativity out of the project.

I agree wth KimT on the baseplates though. Go big or go home! 48x48 would be a great size to incorporate lots of detail.

I think the 48x48 is too large I think that's TLG's XL plate.

Building 32x32 allows for simple quadrants too. There's lots of sets that have 16x16 plates. As far as connecting sections I recommend you and that to the poll. Including height of bricks to each floor. For example top and bottom layers (if each floor is 8 studs tall layer 1 and layer 8 have studs.) Have 2x1 bricks with hole, one or two studs in from corners on all corners. That’s 8 per layer or 16 connection points in a standard 32x32 plate.

Besides for all of you that support the 48x48. If you just double 48 you have 96 which is 3x 32. So really 32x32 is the best. Becasue if you want, you can use (4) 48x48's that are equal to (9) 32x32's.

Also I posted a sample over the Voting thread for this topic.

Kim should/can these 2 threads be merged to keep things easiler/all in one thread? Thanks

Edited by Rook

If I understand the goal is to define standard modules. And so that modules can connect them.

According to the poll done by tonax, every member can not make creation of 48x48 studs.

I think we should think of motivated members who do not have many bricks.

I made some plans to explain my idea.

Clic to enlarge.

cube-standard-module-sw-v.jpg

I think that leaving the possibility of different size MOC. But with multiples of 16. (16x16, 16x32, 32x32, 48x48 etc ....) and the same goes for height.

Themselves which allows for 9 connection zones.

Here is an example of modules connected to each other :

Clic to enlarge.

modules-exemple-001-v.jpg

Clic to enlarge.

modules-exemple-002-v.jpg

Tell me if I'm wrong. because google translations are sometimes strange. :tongue:

Excellent argument for keeping it smaller. The nice about making 16x16 to is they still fit with 32x32 model. (4) 16x16's equal (1) 32x32. So 4 builders with (1) 16x16 each could be put together to form a standard model. Here's an excellent example of that:

Micro City Standard

http://www.reasonablyclever.com/lego/conte...dday/index.html

http://twinlug.com/micropolis-micro-city-standard/

micropolismodulebase-300x225.jpg

However 16x16 is not a lot space to work with. But it could/would work well as you must basic standard.

Edited by Rook

I think the 48x48 is too large I think that's TLG's XL plate.

Building 32x32 allows for simple quadrants too. There's lots of sets that have 16x16 plates. As far as connecting sections I recommend you and that to the poll. Including height of bricks to each floor. For example top and bottom layers (if each floor is 8 studs tall layer 1 and layer 8 have studs.) Have 2x1 bricks with hole, one or two studs in from corners on all corners. That’s 8 per layer or 16 connection points in a standard 32x32 plate.

Besides for all of you that support the 48x48. If you just double 48 you have 96 which is 3x 32. So really 32x32 is the best. Becasue if you want, you can use (4) 48x48's that are equal to (9) 32x32's.

Also I posted a sample over the Voting thread for this topic.

Kim should/can these 2 threads be merged to keep things easiler/all in one thread? Thanks

I agree with everything in this post, really.

16x16 is great, because then anyone can make a larger module by connecting 4 or more 16x16 baseplates. (To all of you who want 48x48, just connect nine 16x16 in a square.)

And yes, KimT, please merge the two topics.

I should have started the poll in this one instead...