BrickArms Musket Prototype

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic  – Started by the enigma that is badger , Jan 26 2010 05:02 AM

#26 Scouty

Scouty
  • [not worthy of classic film title]

Member: 863

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:06 PM

View Postthe enigma that is badger, on Jan 25 2010, 11:21 PM, said:

It stresses the U-Clip a bit, but yes, you can mount a BA Bayonet from the side as well!

Cool! I wonder if it would be less stressed if it was attached in the very front, near the tip of the barrel and the ramrod. It looks like the right thickness and may brove less stress (without the bulk of the stock)?

View Postthe enigma that is badger, on Jan 25 2010, 11:21 PM, said:

For maximum versatility, Will based this accessory on a number of different muskets, notably the classic Brown Bess and the Springfield M1861.  Given the level of abstraction of the minifig accessory aesthetic, this accessory should end up being useful for any type of musket, flintlock or percussion cap.  The key detail, the hammer, is actually a detail Will is still working on, and he does currently plan on a design that would work well for any type of musket and is possible with the types of molding using to create BrickArms accessories.

Ah, I see. It's not of huge importance, but it is a very nice detail!
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#27 Brickadier General

Brickadier General

Member: 1705

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:11 PM

Awesome!  My Civil War troops have something to look forward to.  :pir-sweet:

#28 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker
  • Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

This looks excellent!  I hope you do end up producing a retail version!  I will buy loads.  Now if we could just get a large land based cannon and base that would be awesome.
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#29 TJJohn12

TJJohn12

Member: 4474

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

View PostRick, on Jan 26 2010, 02:34 PM, said:

Agreed, but this doesn't look TOO realistic to me. It's only a little more detailed than this Lego riffle. Usually Brickarms manages to strike more or less the right balance.

I'm not sure what doesn't look vastly realistic over the official rifle you referenced.  The lock is on the gun's right side, it has an exposed hammer, a rammer is mounted below the barrel, stock flare looks about right and it has a barrel band.  Speaking as someone who fired 19th century black-powder weaponry weekly for 3 years as part of my job, this model is vastly more detailed and more accurate than the official LEGO accessory.

#30 Dr. Steve

Dr. Steve

Member: 3382

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

View Postthe enigma that is badger, on Jan 26 2010, 11:19 AM, said:

If and when the BA Musket is mass produced, rest assured it will be available in the same high-quality ABS that all current BrickArms products are produced in!

Any chance you could give us a ballpark estimate as to when we might see these amazing weapons? That is IF they are in fact produced

Thanks

#31 Cakeman

Cakeman

Member: 1924

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:46 AM

Oh, this musket looks great. I think gunmetal would be the color to go, but I await the final product. It's always great to see what's cooking over at brickarms, now I'm just awaiting this and the chance to get a bunch of bayonets for my minifigs, they are all longing for that pointy tactical option.

#32 General Armendariz

General Armendariz
  • I invoke upon thee...the Curse of the Merman-General!

Member: 4056

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:56 AM

View PostDr. Steve, on Jan 26 2010, 04:38 PM, said:

Any chance you could give us a ballpark estimate as to when we might see these amazing weapons? That is IF they are in fact produced

Thanks
Usually when BA shows new Protos they dont release for a year or longer....

#33 Dr. Steve

Dr. Steve

Member: 3382

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:12 AM

View PostGeneral Armendariz, on Jan 26 2010, 07:56 PM, said:

Thanks!  That gives me plenty of time to save some $$ for a ton of these things :pir-classic:

#34 the enigma that is badger

the enigma that is badger
  • I don't make 'em, I just hype 'em!

Member: 2134

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:57 AM

View PostDr. Steve, on Jan 26 2010, 05:38 PM, said:

View PostGeneral Armendariz, on Jan 26 2010, 06:56 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I really can't comment in terms of when this accessory would be added to the BrickArms line-up (if indeed it will be at all).

That said, what Gen. Armendariz said is fairly accurate in regards to the fact the process of taking a design from prototype to mass produced accessory that's available on the BrickArms website; it's a long, labor-intensive process that can take many months, if not over a year, for Will to develop a new production mold that's filled with finalized designs.

As I can give you guys updates, I'll be sure to!
"I watched him die all night. It was a long, slow thing and he fought it all the way. He never whimpered and he never quit. He took all the time he had as though he loved life very much. Every second of it...even the pain. Then, he was dead."

Flickr

#35 RileyC

RileyC
  • >-- Stupid Cupid --> <3

Member: 5251

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:33 AM

Im not much of a pirate fan but that is amazing! :pir-wub: You will be selling heaps of these

Formerly gone by the name of "Roncanator"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Playing as Yasuko a Model in Yakusa Family Mafia
Played as Rickety Cannon a Town Nerd in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum II: Fraulein Bloodbrick Mafia
Played as Ruxana a Town Pilot in Baritones 3 Mafia
Played as Roweena Karnata a Town Guard General turned Dark One in The Coming Darkness Mafystery
Played as Cookie Custer an Insane from Spider Ward in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum Mafia
Played as Ron Canter a Town Folk turned Noodles Family in Eurodina Mafia
Played as Todd "Bulltoad" Bulstrode an Innocent from Slytherin in Hogwarts Mafia
Played as Ron Callister a Sane Pilot in Dystopia Mafia
Played as Ron Toreil an Honoured soldier in Imperial Soldier's Mafia

#36 funkybrick

funkybrick

Member: 8854

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

View PostRick, on Jan 26 2010, 08:34 PM, said:

Agreed, but this doesn't look TOO realistic to me. It's only a little more detailed than this Lego riffle. Usually Brickarms manages to strike more or less the right balance.

Meh, it's too detailed for mefor some reasons:
1. The surface isn't smooth, but there are (overdetailed  :pir_laugh2: ) ornaments.
2. Generally, there are too many details... the detailed BA weapons doesn't fit to the less detailed LEGOish body very well... and by the way, Rick, you cannot compare the weapon you linked with the BA prototype:this rifle is the actual equivalent.
3. LEGO figs aren't tin soldiers! Metal isn't very adequate I think...

What do you think?

#37 Rick

Rick
  • Wants to be important too! (but already is)

Member: 5261

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

1. I tend to agree, although this kind of detailing is still fine for me, it shouldn't get any more detailed. Then it would look out of place. It's all a matter of personal opinion.
2. Sure, I was just pointing out that some minifig accessories are more detailed than others and some are almost as detailed as Brickarms' accessories.
3. As was said before, the prototype is metal, the actual production run will be plastic.

4. I like what you did to your avatar  :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Rick, 27 January 2010 - 02:23 PM.

#38 martinsuper

martinsuper
  • Black Sheep

Member: 5443

Posted 27 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

I feel this is more of a rifle, as what we already have from LEGO looks more like a musket.

-martinsuper

#39 funkybrick

funkybrick

Member: 8854

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

Mmh... let's see how it looks in plastic :D
I must admit that I can imagine it to be quite cool in plastic :pir-classic:
Thanks!  :pir_laugh2:

#40 Jack Bricker

Jack Bricker

Member: 8047

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

My Imperial Guards are really getting tired of that blunderbuss.  They want a really rifle. :pir_laugh2:   Can't wait for this to come out.  Brickarms has done a fabulous job on this one.  Now if somebody would just come out with a more realistic flintlock pistol. :pir-sweet:

#41 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Pirate Pig

Member: 8823

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:46 PM

i want some for my self too and they look guite real too  :pir-classic:  rifles for my army too please  :pir_laugh2:  

:jollyroger: Captain Becker :jollyroger:
My LEGO collection

"An Admiral a day, keeps the Doctor away" General Skalldyr in ToR II

Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey Bluecoats FTW
Thank you Jebediahs

#42 Legokilt

Legokilt

Member: 3864

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:22 PM

Excellent.  I will definitely be getting a bunch of these.  Though, not to split hairs it is a percussion gun (not in military usage until the mid 1820's), not a flintlock.  I am still very excited about these.

#43 the enigma that is badger

Posted 28 January 2010 - 06:23 PM

View Postfunkybrick, on Jan 27 2010, 08:17 AM, said:

3. LEGO figs aren't tin soldiers! Metal isn't very adequate I think...
Just to be clear, Will does not plan to produce or market any solid metal BrickArms accessories.  This was just a fun test of the the capability of a 3D printer to create a solid metal object from one of Will's designs.  Only a very, very small number were made, and when Will has the time to revisit this design and cut his own prototype mold, it will be injected with the same high-quality ABS plastic that all BrickArms accessories are!

View Postbengun, on Jan 27 2010, 02:06 PM, said:

Now if somebody would just come out with a more realistic flintlock pistol. :pir-sweet:
One accessory at a time!  :wink:

Still, it is truly great this new prototype is getting the reaction is has, and when Will has the time to start designing and prototyping again (not likely for at least awhile with all the orders that have poured in since Will reopened BrickArms after the holidays!), one or two more Pirate items are certainly possibilities.  We'll have to see!
"I watched him die all night. It was a long, slow thing and he fought it all the way. He never whimpered and he never quit. He took all the time he had as though he loved life very much. Every second of it...even the pain. Then, he was dead."

Flickr

#44 Commander Red Hat

Commander Red Hat
  • Leader of the Redcoats!

Member: 1914

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:52 AM

This looks great, I'll surely get a bunch if they come out!  :thumbup:
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#45 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

That is great! :pir-wub:  I would for sure buy some of them.
Though I think I would like brown plastic ones more since that is more lego-like and because the biggest part of real muskets is brown as well (isn't it? :pir-classic: )
But it still looks fantastic :pir-sweet:
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#46 lego fox

lego fox

Member: 3888

Posted 15 February 2010 - 03:07 AM

I love it!  Thers never enough weapons to go arownd.  Ill Take as meny as my truck will hold.  Now all we need is some Blunderbuss's, Cutlesses, Pistals, and cannons.  Then We will be redy to control the seas once agen.

I do wish I know how thay make there products.  Thay must have an injection molding machine and a rapid prototiper or sumthing.

#47 Abaddon127

Abaddon127

Member: 6143

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

I fully love this design.  I don't personally own any Brickarms, but I would buy large quantities of this one.  I would also like to second the idea for a matching BA flintlock style pistol without the ridiculous blunderbuss muzzle.

#48 CommanderFox

CommanderFox
  • Can't remember his own name

Member: 5406

Posted 26 February 2010 - 09:41 AM

Thats one lovely Musket! :pir-wub:
Thanks for showing Badger! :thumbup:

CommanderFox
My Brickshelf!. The Brick Hope.
Anime and Manga fan, feel free to discuss anything anime on my profile :)
                                          CommanderFox playing as Ollivander Dippet for Gryffindor in Harry Potter Wizards Duel!
Posted ImagePosted Image - Kiwi Bricks

#49 the enigma that is badger

Posted 10 August 2010 - 07:27 AM

Giving this thread a bump as Will has created a prototype mold using an updated design for the BrickArms Musket!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Notice the new detailing in the hammer of the Musket!  Still, it is still a work in progress, and any and all constructive feedback you have will be great appreciated and taken into consideration!

Flickr

#50 Captain Becker

Captain Becker
  • Pirate Pig

Member: 8823

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:31 PM

That is beatiful, even at it isnt finished yet :pir-cry_happy:  Now i really want those for my army :pir_laugh2:  Thanks for sharing these new pics

Captain Becker
My LEGO collection

"An Admiral a day, keeps the Doctor away" General Skalldyr in ToR II

Posted Image Posted Image <---- Thank you so much joey Bluecoats FTW
Thank you Jebediahs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links