Sign in to follow this  
Derfel Cadarn

Medieval Life: St. Cadoc's Church

indexed.gif

Well, after a nice long Xmas and New Years break, I decided to start building again. I thought i would try my hand at the castle theme and so might as well start work on my Camelot project. This is one of the small churches that will be in the outer village which im going to build first before I tackle the main castle and inner village. The church is built modular so i can attach the other scenes around it. But this is just the first step and this project is going to take some time :cry_sad: , plus i still have pirate mocs to finish!!! Oh well, better get building :cry_happy: Enjoy.

4284038123_9afbd2c9f6.jpg

4284052427_c4bdc53d7c.jpg

4284057541_27a154f425.jpg

4284066645_95414f139a.jpg

4284806828_fe072d5b7f.jpg

4284800322_a25fc2ae75.jpg

4284808670_a5bb6e4d78.jpg

Stunning, simply stunning.

The walls are make out of single studs, that's amazing!!!

Your walls and cobble stone roads are very impressive.

Also your stain glassed windows and that wooden door with the black metal brackets. Brilliant!! :thumbup:

Just one word: gorgeous! :cry_happy: The design is really great, that large amount of 1x1 round plates makes it wonderfully detailed. BRAVO! :thumbup:

Sweet looking MOC, as usual!

I love the subtle details, which come out after staring at it for a little bit, including the grave stones (my favorite) and the little pond in the front right corner. Beautiful work!

Beautiful, really impressive! The building is terrific, but I'm also quite taken with the naturally flowing and curving lansdcape. How is it done, is the hill completely filled with LEGO bricks or do you work out some sort of scaffolding? This is actually a question to anybody who builds raised landscapes like this!

Thanks for the comments :classic:

Beautiful, really impressive! The building is terrific, but I'm also quite taken with the naturally flowing and curving lansdcape. How is it done, is the hill completely filled with LEGO bricks or do you work out some sort of scaffolding? This is actually a question to anybody who builds raised landscapes like this!

I built the landscape by building a 7 high 46x46 brick square in the center which i rested the baseplates with the church on. Then i built the landscape all around. The allowed me to have a 7 stud height to play around with while building the outer landscape. I wanted the church to look like it was on a sort of hill. The square structure in the middle is made up of pillars of 2x2 that are spaced 6 studs appart, then there are 8x2 bricks that rest on top and connect each pillar together, like scaffolding, and the same technique was used under the rest of the landscape but at the different heights needed.

Instantly recognizable as a Derfel Cardarn with the use of hundreds of those 1 x 1 round plates. Really impressive church and the finishing of the landscape around the church (among others that low wall) is amazing.

I built the landscape by building a 7 high 46x46 brick square in the center which i rested the baseplates with the church on. Then i built the landscape all around. The allowed me to have a 7 stud height to play around with while building the outer landscape. I wanted the church to look like it was on a sort of hill. The square structure in the middle is made up of pillars of 2x2 that are spaced 6 studs appart, then there are 8x2 bricks that rest on top and connect each pillar together, like scaffolding, and the same technique was used under the rest of the landscape but at the different heights needed.

Thanks for the insight into your building methods, much appreciated! Looking forward to more of your work!

Cheers

I have always wondered do you have all of your MOCs built at the same time or do you use the pieces from old ones to make new ones?

OMG what AWESOME stonework and leadlighting - what a MOC ! :sweet::grin::laugh:

Total beauty in brick 'Derfel Cardarn' ! :sweet::grin::laugh:

I'm a conformist! !!! :laugh:

Simply beautiful Derfel Cardarn! Amazing work! :thumbup:

I love the stone work on the church, the landscape is just perfect and so is the cobblestone road! :cry_happy:

I can mumble hours about this MOC. :tongue: It's just... an epic build of epic proportions!

You've mentioned something about your Camelot project, which means there is even more to come!

This is awesome, if this is how your monastary looks, I'm very eager to see your castle/citadel.

What sort of architectural cues are you aiming for your castle to be like? More high fantasy, more late Medieval, or are you going for a Romanesque/Dark Age Mason work?

Wow! This is just amazing. How long did this magnificent creation take you to build? While the church is superb, I love the "trail up the hill" with the splendid lanscaping and hidden details. The base is also quite nice with the use of the different shields. The stain glass windows are also a beautiful touch. Have you built an interior yet?

Very impressive and most deserving of a front-page! :thumbup:

Wow! This is just fantastic! The brickwork, the foliage, the fence, the path, it all looks very nice! Wonderful MOC sir, I look forward to seeing more of your talent! :thumbup:

~Peace

YaaaaaaY!!!! Brilliant work as always Luke!

I have been so looking forward to seeing the start of this project of yours. And what a way to start! :thumbup:

Absolutely amazing. My jaw drops every time at the amount of detail you fit cram into your MOCS.

Can't wait to see more... Camelot village and the Castle! :wub:

The mention of this being modular has me anticipating what you have in store for us next! You've mentioned an inner and outer village; hinted at multiple churches and of course a castle as a centrepiece. Do you plan on building all of these things and then joining the modules together or are you going to use the bricks from this wonderful MOC in your next effort? The project that you've described sounds daunting, but if it's possible it would be absolutely incredible. The level of detail in your work is phenomenal. I can only imagine how amazing an entire village complete with a castle would be.

Great stuff.

I'm alreadt pretty late. Everything good has been said about this.

But screw that :)

I LOVE your building technique - really love it. The church wall with plants growing up all the way to the roof is excellent.

And the landscape is really beautiful too. You have a very special building technique, it's really recognizable. Incredible stuff

:wub: I've fallen in love... Next to Pirates, I'm all Castle.. (not LEGO castle but...) Would LOVE closer/bigger detailed pics! is there a flickr page?