Jump to content


MOC: Dutch Police VW Golf


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1458
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

When I built my Dutch fire engine a few weeks ago to accompany my Ambulance, I felt a Police car would make a nice addition. One bricklink order and about 10 hours of building later and it's done. I was also very lucky that my share of a LUGBulk order (with The Brickish Association) landed in the mail, because it had  fairly rare parts such as orange 1x1 plates and tiles.  

Dutch police use many different kinds of vehicles. The VW Touran, a small MPV, is popular as ar larger Volvos (for traffic patrol) and hatchbacks such as the Opel Astra, Ford Focus and VW Golf. Because I rarely build hatchbacks and like VWs anyway, I chose to build the latter.  The pattern of blue, white and orange stripes is typical of marker police cars in The Netherlands. The markings are pretty much the same all through the country. Even though this is a considerably smaller model than most of the other 1/22 scale cars I've built lately, I wanted everything to open. The doors are a bit thick because of the half-stud offset I used at the top, but they do work. The hatch was fairly straightforward.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I couldn't resist taking a picture of my Dutch police VW Golf with a typical American counterpart.
Posted Image

As usual, more pictures are on flickr.

During much of last week I was writing and having discussions about building MOCs more than actually building some. It was good to put some bricks together again  :sweet:

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#2 Dennimator

Dennimator

  • Not so bright... light yellow


    Posts: 1460
    Joined: 12-July 08
    Member: 3510
    Country: Sweden

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:15 PM

Nice! Simple, yet straightforward. It looks really good yet fairly basic, but I bet you just hid away the complicated connections which tend to be in most (if not all) of your MOCs. For example the "inverted" cheese slopes (which TLG really need to do inverted, with a stud up) at the wheels, or the front grille.
Hiding the complicated solutions are often tricky, but as I said, you managed very well. Great work! :thumbup:
Where did you get that 1 x 2 "112" tile? I´ve never seen it before...

#3 L-space

L-space

    Posts: 988
    Joined: 25-November 08
    Member: 4504
    Country: the Netherlands

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

View PostDennimator, on Jan 16 2010, 09:15 PM, said:

Where did you get that 1 x 2 "112" tile? I´ve never seen it before...
That's custom for sure.

Great work again Ralph.

Now it looks better then in my rearview mirror.  :laugh:

Keep it up.  :thumbup:
the Turtle moves...

clicky:

Posted Image
L-space | Brickshelf | Brickset | flickr


#4 MetroiD

MetroiD

  • Lost in the forest of life


    Posts: 2661
    Joined: 22-February 09
    Member: 5374
    Country: Bulgaria

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

What a great MOC, Ralph! Make sure you check out Classic-Town.net tomorrow morning :)
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1458
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:37 PM

View PostDennimator, on Jan 16 2010, 10:15 PM, said:

Nice! Simple, yet straightforward. It looks really good yet fairly basic, but I bet you just hid away the complicated connections which tend to be in most (if not all) of your MOCs. For example the "inverted" cheese slopes (which TLG really need to do inverted, with a stud up) at the wheels, or the front grille.
Hiding the complicated solutions are often tricky, but as I said, you managed very well. Great work! :thumbup:
Where did you get that 1 x 2 "112" tile? I´ve never seen it before...
Thanks. There is some pretty weird stuff going on under the bonnet, indeed. I'd normally use 45 degree inverted slopes for front fenders like these, but they wouldn't fit in the colour pattern. The only solution I could figure out was mounting cheese slopes upside down. They are held on with 1x2 plates that are attached to 1x8 technic plates, a very useful element for building inverted. Most of the trickery went into building the front -headlights, bumper, grille. The most difficult part about the whole car, however, was getting the proportions more-or-less right. I;ve been building a lot of large American sedans lately and they're rather different than a European hatchback.

View PostL-space, on Jan 16 2010, 10:32 PM, said:

That's custom for sure.

Great work again Ralph.

Now it looks better then in my rearview mirror.  :laugh:

Keep it up.  :thumbup:
The tile simply has a sticker on it. If only LEGO would make tiles with the emergency telephone number for The Netherlands  :wub:  
Seeing one of these in your rearview mirror probably isn't good news indeed.

View PostTheOtters, on Jan 16 2010, 10:33 PM, said:

What a great MOC, Ralph! Make sure you check out Classic-Town.net tomorrow morning :)
Thank you. I'm glad you like it.  :blush:

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#6 Rick

Rick

  • Where's My Ostrich?


    Posts: 8560
    Joined: 11-February 09
    Member: 5261
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:46 AM

True Ralph style again, complete with the craziest half-stud offsets everywhere. You managed to capture the striping pretty accurately again. Well done.

#7 simonwillems

simonwillems

  • Technic Campaigner


    Posts: 1351
    Joined: 08-December 06
    Member: 1116
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

Prachtig!

You are now officially my favorite MOC'er on this forum, and I even missed the Firetruck and Ambulance which, like this policecar, couldn't be more accurate than they are now.
Where I live in Amsterdam this is the standard policecar and I see them racing by every day. They are standard VW Golfs but with a stronger plated chassis and raised wheels to negociate with curbs and all of the small bridges.
It has been a long time dream of mine to construct a good looking Dutch policecar one day (I only ever constructed a policemotorcycle that I am quite happy with), now I know that it can be done!

For people to realise how good this model resembles the real thing, here's a picture of a real car:

Posted Image

#8 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1458
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:30 PM

View PostRick, on Jan 17 2010, 11:46 AM, said:

True Ralph style again, complete with the craziest half-stud offsets everywhere. You managed to capture the striping pretty accurately again. Well done.

There are a fair few half-stud offsets here, indeed  :blush: . The real car is much wider near the bottom than near the top and the side panels are gently curved. Getting all of that to hold together with the stripes running through it was a nice puzzle. I do think I'm really running into the limitations of making the stripes this way, though. They are a bit ragged and they are bigger than the stripes on the real vehicles so I can fit less of them on the side. For the fire engine and the ambulance this wasn't really an issue, because they have lots of stripes anyway, but for this smaller car the number of stripes I can fit might be a bit too low.




View Postsimonwillems, on Jan 17 2010, 01:03 PM, said:

Prachtig!

You are now officially my favorite MOC'er on this forum, and I even missed the Firetruck and Ambulance which, like this policecar, couldn't be more accurate than they are now.
Where I live in Amsterdam this is the standard policecar and I see them racing by every day. They are standard VW Golfs but with a stronger plated chassis and raised wheels to negociate with curbs and all of the small bridges.
It has been a long time dream of mine to construct a good looking Dutch policecar one day (I only ever constructed a policemotorcycle that I am quite happy with), now I know that it can be done!

For people to realise how good this model resembles the real thing, here's a picture of a real car:
Thanks for finding a reference pic and for your very nice comments. I did try to model a Golf V like this one, although I did opt for a slightly different light bar. I tied to make a light bar like the one in your picture, but transparent tiles stuck onto a white plate looked a bit rubbish. Fortunately I found a picture of a car with a black lightbar.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#9 Wouwie

Wouwie

  • Thank you for proven services to Classic-Pirates.com.


    Posts: 1082
    Joined: 16-August 07
    Member: 1890
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 18 January 2010 - 01:01 PM

It's like 10 times better than I had ever thought it would be. :wub: All the functionality, all the little details...Everything on it is great!
1 thing, would it be possible to remove the the the front row of white plates on the hood and replace them with tiles, so you could make it a specific Police Corps? Like on the reference picture. Or is the engine to big for that?

Wouwie.
The real truth:
Posted Image

#10 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1458
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

View PostWouwie, on Jan 18 2010, 02:01 PM, said:

It's like 10 times better than I had ever thought it would be. :wub: All the functionality, all the little details...Everything on it is great!
1 thing, would it be possible to remove the the the front row of white plates on the hood and replace them with tiles, so you could make it a specific Police Corps? Like on the reference picture. Or is the engine to big for that?

Wouwie.

Thanks. I would have loved to have have a row of tiles, but there's no way of fitting it without a comprehensive redesign of the whole front of the car :hmpf_bad: The engine isn't the issue, but the half stud offsets at the sides and the SNOT work that holds on the front bumper, headlights, radiator and the cheese slopes used on the mudguards are. One thing I did modify since I took the pictures was swap a few white plates for orange ones on the first row of plates.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#11 Perterz

Perterz

    Posts: 327
    Joined: 15-April 09
    Member: 5815
    Country: Belgium

Posted 18 January 2010 - 02:33 PM

Wow this is amazing, so detailed!

I'm really loving the graphic work, must have been a pain to create yet a challenge is always good :)

Are you a Legoland designer? Your work always reminds me to my trip to Danmark past summer.

:thumbup:
WIP: remote controlled Heavy Terrain Flatbed Pick-Up Truck
Progress: 25%

#12 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1458
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 18 January 2010 - 03:05 PM

View PostPerterz, on Jan 18 2010, 03:33 PM, said:

Wow this is amazing, so detailed!

I'm really loving the graphic work, must have been a pain to create yet a challenge is always good :)

Are you a Legoland designer? Your work always reminds me to my trip to Danmark past summer.

:thumbup:
Thanks. I'm flattered by you wondering whether I work for LEGOLand. I don't work for them, but I really like the way they build their car models. I bought a copy of a book about ten years ago called 'The Ultimate LEGO Book' (I've got a version in Dutch) that has a lot of pictures of models built for the various LEGOLand parks in it and those were a huge inspiration for my own car building. I'm glad it shows  :sweet:

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#13 Legostein

Legostein

  • I'm a million!


    Posts: 1890
    Joined: 06-April 07
    Member: 1505
    Country: Germany

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:06 PM

Hello!

Whenever I see the cars of yours, I am impressed with the side patterns like the stripes of your emergency vehicles. I think it's great how you imitate the lines without stickers. Use the brick to get as close as possible. And you've done it perfectly again here. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher
Posted Image http://www.deckdesigns.de - Bricks, Building & Beyond Posted Image

#14 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1458
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:04 AM

View PostLegostein, on Jan 18 2010, 09:06 PM, said:

Hello!

Whenever I see the cars of yours, I am impressed with the side patterns like the stripes of your emergency vehicles. I think it's great how you imitate the lines without stickers. Use the brick to get as close as possible. And you've done it perfectly again here. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Thank you. I did consider using tape to make the diagonal stripes on this car and the ambulance and fire engine that preceded it and still use the odd sticker now and then (including a few on this model), but I indeed felt that if I could make it look decent with bricks, I should give that a try. I am glad you like the result.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist

#15 djo

djo

    Posts: 336
    Joined: 18-November 08
    Member: 4414
    Country: Indonesia

Posted 19 January 2010 - 10:15 AM

this is a great creation.
nice details and shape.
i like all 5 doors and front hood can be opened.
rear side view is my favorite.
nice interior too.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#16 the Inventor

the Inventor

  • Lures the Redcoat staff to ToR's boiling point!


    Posts: 446
    Joined: 10-June 09
    Member: 6351
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 19 January 2010 - 05:21 PM

Great MOC, Ralph_S  :thumbup:

You have created a really great dutch police car.
I like that you made the stripes with bricks, instead of with stickers.  :classic:


the Inventor

#17 Ralph_S

Ralph_S

  • Dwarf My Maersk!


    Posts: 1458
    Joined: 28-April 05
    Member: 309
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:19 PM

View Postdjo, on Jan 19 2010, 11:15 AM, said:

this is a great creation.
nice details and shape.
i like all 5 doors and front hood can be opened.
rear side view is my favorite.
nice interior too.
Thanks. The cars from LEGOLand are a massive inspiration, but it doesn't make sense for them to have functionality. I, however, love making opening doors and such on my cars and if the doors open, they should have a decent interior. It makes the build more complicated, but also more fun. I'm glad you like it.

View Postthe Inventor, on Jan 19 2010, 06:21 PM, said:

Great MOC, Ralph_S  :thumbup:

You have created a really great dutch police car.
I like that you made the stripes with bricks, instead of with stickers.  :classic:


the Inventor
Thanks. Building them was a nice little puzzle.

Cheers,
Ralph
For LEGO jets, cars, and trucks, please check out:
http://www.flickr.co...os/madphysicist




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users