Sign in to follow this  
xenologer

Nova Wasp

indexed.gif

I think most will agree, the best ExoForce alternate model belongs to Stealth Hunter 7700: the Stealth Wasp

However the Stealth Wasp has one major flaw, the construction is incredibly fragile. Any attempts to pick it up and 'Swoosh!' will result in the cockpit falling right off, its only held on by 4 studs....

This I could not stand for, we must have SWOOSHING!

Nova Wasp is the result.

Represents the next generation in Exo Force Wasp series fighter craft. Completely restructured for strength, while maintaining similar (but not exact) look and feel of the original Stealth Wasp. (nova means new in Latin)

Nova Wasp uses only parts from set 7700.

pict0208.jpg

the standard 'Wasp' pose

pict0210.jpg

new tail design, note the visible booster engine, lack of dorsal fins

pict0207.jpg

wings and fins folded for landing and storage, in this form I can put it in my bag and carry it around with no falling apart

pict0217.jpg

'hover mode' -those arent just wings, theyre Electrostatic Propulsion surfaces (as modern UFOs are believed to use)

pict0212.jpg

Nova features an upgraded cockpit, with legroom and controls. just behind the cockpit you can see an auxiliary manuvering thruster sticking out

pict0213.jpg

Here you can get a taste of the structural overhaul.

the main body no longer has movable 'waist' or 'neck' joints, for strength

note the technic beam crossbracing, the beam extends below the body to double as a landing support(no more using guns as legs like the Stealth)

also, each side of the cockpit is held on by: 2 SNOT brackets, and a technic friction pin(it fits through the hole in the black rounded piece)

pict0218.jpg

Brickshelf

that's pretty nice :oD

so what do you think this wasp of yours is supposed to do in the universe?

does it have any landing gear?

what's the use of these 2 white blades? i'd probably replace them by something to house cameras or whatever...

there is one major flaw, tho... (here it comes, yoda :P ) i see a cockpit, but what about the interior of the cockpit? it looks kinda primitive

Its a fighter/scout like the original Stealth Wasp

The landing gear are non-retractable, can't see in most photos(I think one in my brickshelf might show it) but two technic beams, and that 'hinge' piece that was on the back of Stealth Hunter support the body on the ground when the fins and side guns are folded out of the way.

The blades are just tailfins. They're positioned in the path of the rear engine exhaust would be, so I think they help with directing thrust and stabalization.

Yeah, cockpit could use some nice controls, at the moment all I can really do is make little control sticks(the gray things attached to the windscreen); since there weren't any nice control panels in the set.

Thats got to by my one big complaint about the Exo Force theme, none of the mech's have any nice printed computer panel pieces.

I guess we could assume that on Nova Wasp, the technic pin sticking out behind the headrest is actually some kind of brain scanner, and lets the pilot fly just by thinking.

I think most will agree, the best ExoForce alternate model belongs to Stealth Hunter 7700: the Stealth Wasp

However the Stealth Wasp has one major flaw, the construction is incredibly fragile. Any attempts to pick it up and 'Swoosh!' will result in the cockpit falling right off, its only held on by 4 studs....

This I could not stand for, we must have SWOOSHING!

Nova Wasp is the result.

Represents the next generation in Exo Force Wasp series fighter craft. Completely restructured for strength, while maintaining similar (but not exact) look and feel of the original Stealth Wasp. (nova means new in Latin)

Nova Wasp uses only parts from set 7700.

Pics removed by Apo for those with the slower PCs... ;)

Brickshelf

Nice!!

I don't agree with it being the best alternative model.

I like the hoverbike that Uplink can turn into.

And the combined Human machine is pretty cool.

Regardless, great model.

yep, the alternate model for the uplink is great. it's seems i'm not the only one who likes the alternate models more than the release models. the alternate bike for the Phantom set is a lot better as well...

Well... this may sound a little odd, but I'm going to post my own opinions on this ship. Its been a day or two since I made it, and I guess I'm seeing it differently... and there's stuff that bugs me now.

I'm allowed to be mean with the criticism since I made it, you guys be nice still, k?

The canopy windscreen is too weak. It's only held on by 2 studs and the hinge it's attached to (the 'nosecone') is also held on by only 2 studs

The under belly guns can't aim straight forward, they are always pointed down at the ground by about 10 degrees because the cockpit blocks them.

The 'head' is FAT! in fact it dominates the whole shape. Its basically a pod with wings, a tadpole. The tail and engine really look too small to push that head around.

sometimes I look at it, and it looks cool, then the next minute it just looks fat and heavy. -the shape is just too questionable

(Nova's head is actually a little larger than Stealth's)

Im thinking of re-doing it. shave down the sides and redistribute the bricks to make a more solid tail.

Really like the guns and sensors in the nose, but I dont see how I'm going to make a stronger windscreen hinge with those taking up so much room....

Not sure if it's still going to be a 'Wasp' after that kind of change

what do you think are the defining characteristics of Wasp series fighters?