Sign in to follow this  
Tinn-man

MOC: M.O.W. Speeder

traintech1.jpg

This is probably one of my favorite trains of all time. These M.O.W speeders were mainly used for carrying workers and materials from one stretch of rail to another.

Here's a picture of a Lionel model of a rail speeder: (picture from Classic Toy Trains)

4261622746_809aec8832.jpg

And here is mine:

4261570160_c4a6b84dcd.jpg

It is built on a 9-volt motor, so it does run. And I would have to say that it was one of the most complicated builds that I have ever done. Here's a picture of the inside:

4260809421_37db55ceff.jpg

Comparison to the lionel version:

4260811061_eca2f19b4a.jpg

Size comparison to the BNSF locomotive:

4260812553_3218995126.jpg

And finally, a small scene with a couple of workers:

4261546318_ebb4971598.jpg

More pictures here.

C&C are welcome. :thumbup:

Good try at it, the speeder does look simple one way, but to do in Lego just like the other, well that's another story.

Could I recommend some colour to it, also does it carry tools on board or does it haul a carriage behind it carrying tools and equipment ?

In any case, good work 'Tinn-man' ! :sweet:

Interesting build. Never seen these type of wagons before.

Looking at the inside I see that you used a lot of technique to build this thing, I must say that the comparison to the original is difficult because the original contains a lot more windows. Yours, don't get me wrong, looks more like a driving vault.

Anyhow, it looks cool with the workers in front and you even managed to motorise it :thumbup:

This is really a unique creation and train Tinn-man. I've never seen one of these rail cars before. I think you've done an excellent job at constructing it in LEGO, and I like how you've pictured it with the Lionel version and BNSF for comparison. Do you plan to add any custom decals?

Front-paged! :thumbup:

Very accurate looking, I think this would really look at home in a big train board setup.

It's an interesting looking ugly duckling. You can easily enter it for the Ugly train contest over on Flickr.

I agree with Aawsum though, one of the stand-out features of the original is the all-around windows which you haven't captured.

So thumbs up for looks, thumbs down for likeness.

Very good work Tinn-man. I think the work you did looks very well done. Your MOC is a nice change from the posts of locomotives. Well done!

Model On!!

Thanks for the feedback everybody. I was originally going to put more windows in the sides, but it left too much of a gap in the front of the locomotive, and I thought that it would look better without them.

Oh, and to answer your question, Lightningtiger, this locomotive would usually carry all of it's tools/supplies on board, and it travels by itself, so it does not pull any cars. Here's a website completely devoted to speeders, if you want more info: http://www.railspeeders.com/ There are different type of speeders on there, too. Most of them are not fully enclosed like this one is.

do you have the Santa Fe Super Chief and cars? I think they'd look nice with your MOC, pics with it would be nice too!