Admiral Croissant

New Update French frigate 'Vesta'

!Latest Update on page 2!

I think the next update will be the last one. I only have to do the masts and rigging. (link to the previous update: Click Here

I've also changed the name of the ship for the third (and last) time because an eagle was to difficult to make as a figurehead :pir-classic:

It's now called 'Vesta' after a roman godess.

Anyway, here are the pic's:

First an overall look:

dsc04245.jpg

This is the crow's nest of the main mast, maybe I'm going to adjust it a little bit but I'm rather satisfied with it.

dsc04246.jpg

Me, standing on the bow of the ship

dsc04247.jpg

The figurehead, Captain Blackmoor is working on a decal for it.

dsc04249.jpg

The stern, finally it has a name on it :pir-classic:

dsc04250.jpg

The steering wheel and some other things:

dsc04252.jpg

The side of the ship, with closed gunports:

dsc04253.jpg

Finally, some members of my crew. These are French marines (I think :pir-sweet: )

dsc04263.jpg

And some officers, decals by Captain Blackmoor

dsc04264.jpg

That was it. ...huh? what's that? looks like a floating croissant shop!

dsc04256.jpg

Looks like the first customers have arrived already!

dsc04262.jpg

That was it, More images on my Brickshelf and C&C welcome.

Edited by Admiral Croissant

Nice ship. I especially like the color scheme for the sides (the red stripe is a nice touch) and the decks.

This ship is looking great! And almost finished to battle against the entire redcoat fleet!

But I'm not to sure about 'yellow' masts :pir-sceptic:

This Bluecoat ship looks nice - I love ships in black with yellow stripes,

or are they yellow ships with black stripes? It´s the same as with zebras,

you don´t know if they are black with white stripes or white with black

stripes... But back to the ship, I also like the form of it with a wide bow.

And the figurehead looks good too, hopefully it will keep the evil spirits

away from your ship. :pir_laugh2:

Regards//

Admiral Red-Hair

Absolutely amazing update Admiral! She is a beauty! (not the godess, the ship, or perhaps the godess is a pretty one too :pir_laugh2: )

The colours are great, and the red stripe looks great on her. The small curve in the hull turned out great, figurehead and stern are just amazing. :pir-cry_happy:

I wish you alll the best with the rigging, and perhaps I can help you a hand on her soon!

It's great to see you have your own croissant shop, so my cabin remains free from crumbles from now on. :pir_laugh2:

Oh and before we forget!

blogged.png

Soon!

Wow, absolutely stunning work Admiral! :thumbup:

I love how you made the ''corvijnagelbanken'', sorry i don't know the English term.

I'm not too sure about the yellow masts either, i think black, brown or maybe even white could look nicer.

I see that your steering wheel has space for a rope, will you add that?

This is looking great!

And I really like the new name, it has a real nice ring to it.

Looking forward to your next update. :pir-classic:

So the yellow masts are not such a good idea... the Victory has them as well, but indeed with Lego it somehow doesn't work as good as in real.

Maybe I will switch them into brown ones, but they are more expensive (at least the parts for the middle mast section) So then I have to earn some more money first :pir-sweet:

And @ Smurfhair: Yes I'm indeed going to add ropes there :pir-classic:

Thanks for all the comments so far!

I'm not sure, but perhaps after doing some basic rigging (nothing complicated already) with dark rope, the yellow masts might look a bit darker.

But it's never too late to try brown masts as well. See what turns out best.

I'm not sure, but perhaps after doing some basic rigging (nothing complicated already) with dark rope, the yellow masts might look a bit darker.

But it's never too late to try brown masts as well. See what turns out best.

Yep, I agree.

And you still need to make all the yards.

Those will change the appereance as well.

And personally, as a Victory fan :pir-tongue: , I like the yellow color scheme.

Here is a link to a photo of a HMS Victory model using a similar yellow color for mast elements:

Linky to photo

Kind regards,

Teddy

Well the yellow on the Victory isn't as bright as normal Lego yellow, I think tan would look better in that case...

Just my 2 cents. :pir-wink:

Oh and people might expect a windmill when they see the new title. :pir_laugh2:

Well the yellow on the Victory isn't as bright as normal Lego yellow, I think tan would look better in that case...

Just my 2 cents. :pir-wink:

Oh and people might expect a windmill when they see the new title. :pir_laugh2:

Yes, you are right about the colors being different.

But tan is even further away from the original color, which is more to the orange-yellow side of the spectrum.

Personally, I quite like Lego yellow for the details as it is a vibrant color.

Which I find pleasing in real life. In photos it's always difficult to judge.

I expect it to look better with the yards and the rigging on there as well, as it will camouflage the yellow parts to some extend.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Yes, you are right about the colors being different.

But tan is even further away from the original color, which is more to the orange-yellow side of the spectrum.

Personally, I quite like Lego yellow for the details as it is a vibrant color.

Which I find pleasing in real life. In photos it's always difficult to judge.

I expect it to look better with the yards and the rigging on there as well, as it will camouflage the yellow parts to some extend.

Kind regards,

Teddy

Yes I think I will first make one yellow mast with rigging and sails, and if it looks awful I can always change it into brown.

I have also changed the mast a little by adding a few black round bricks in it (instead of plates), and it looks better already.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

There are many parts of this ship which I absolute like a lot:

- The stern looks just great and very original

- Everything on the deck looks superb, the corvijnagelbanken, the wheel, ...

- I like the masts a lot, the alternation of black and yellow I like a lot and is actually a very realistic touch.

- I also like the fact that from the first platform in the mast, the upper mast is not immediately above the one below. That's how it was also done for real ships and I've not seen that been done much on LEGO ships. For stability reasons of the masts I've stayed away from doing it like that, but I'm curious to see it with rigging and to know if the rigging can support the masts like this.

As constructive criticism I'd suggest to add a bit more curve in the side of the ship. Now the lines in the sides are all very horizontal which is accentuate even more by the straight red line going from bow to stern. I think this part needs some updating still.

I was just wondering about the color scheme. It looks really nice but, didn't France have different color scheme than England? I had always thought that france was white and black or red and black and that england was black and yellow. Please correct me if I am wrong. I was just wondering because I am going to be building a frigate my self real soon and I would like to know for that reason. P.S. I really like how you did the window galleries. That was really creative. :pir-classic:

I was just wondering about the color scheme. It looks really nice but, didn't France have different color scheme than England? I had always thought that france was white and black or red and black and that england was black and yellow. Please correct me if I am wrong. I was just wondering because I am going to be building a frigate my self real soon and I would like to know for that reason. P.S. I really like how you did the window galleries. That was really creative. :pir-classic:

Well a lot of French ships had a black and white colourscheme, but in fact the captains were the ones who decided the colourscheme so black and yellow was also possible. There were a lot of different colourschemes.

It wasn't until after the napoleonic time that navies really had prescriptions about it. And Nelson just liked black and yellow so that's why a lot of British ships had that colour :pir-classic:

More about this can be found here: Click Here

And thanks about the galleries :pir-sweet:

Nice start the hull is cool and the sterm on the bag is lovly, mast are good too, but the hull could be a it curved :pir-classic: it would give a bit more realistic lokat me. Keep it up, i cant wait to see when its finished

Work is coming along nicely and since there hasn't been a lot going on on this forum lately, I decided to give a small update again :pir-classic:

As always, first an overall-look:

dsc04429.jpg

The first sail:

dsc04430.jpg

I'm also going to ad studding sails, so here are the yards for them (I forgot to flip it):

dsc04431.jpg

This one is for Captain GreenHair:

dsc04432.jpg

The captain's cabin:

dsc04434.jpg

Figurehead:

dsc04435.jpg

And finally the mast cap (in Dutch: ezelshoofd=donkey head :pir-tongue: )

dsc04441.jpg

Thats excellent, love the sail (singular but still looks good). I think my favorite part though has to be the name-plate, excellent way to get that decorative scroll look, mind if I borrow that?? Cant wait to see it in full sail!

:jollyroger: Dread Pirate Wesley

All right, The really insanely amazing parts of this moc...

1. sails!!!!!!!!!

2. sterncastle interior!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. figure head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. rigging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. the overall ship!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great work! Absolutely splended, You won't be seeing any bad commants from me!

Hope the rest of the rigging and sails end up as amazing as the rest of the ship!

:pir_yoda:

Wow, thats looking really stunning. I love the colours of the masts, the cabin interior looks great and your rigging looks really good here(i prefer black string to the lighter colours that others use). I look forward to seeing this completed.

Wow admiral, she is starting to look stunning! :thumbup:

Excellent work on the studding sails and mast extensions.

In the picture you made for me I can not see that actually move the rudder?