8 replies to this topic

#1 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:10 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was just wondering if any of you fellow train fans are into train artwork -paintings, drawings, or even real-life images?

I discovered a new train artist (new to me) who does a lot of steam train art.  His name is Ted Blaylock.  I found a great image by him over the weekend for my home office/computer room.  I'd love to decorate the room with train artwork.

For those of you into train art, do they inspire you to build LEGO Trains?

#2 Captain Zuloo

Captain Zuloo

• god for 10

Member: 1816

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:26 AM

<ramble>I would definately say that photographs are a great source of inspiration for my building. I think there is a difference between photos and art though. I don't think you could really get details and things from paintings as they may not be completely accurate, but then again some paintings are accurate, and you might not even want a completely accurate train anyway. Sure, some photography could be classified as art, but how many details of a train are you going to get from a silhouette in the sunset or something? I think it is a bit too broad of a question to ask if I use paintings etc. as inspiration for MOCs, I think I just use any sort of media depending on if I like the look of it or not.</ramble>

EDIT: I just saw the image in your post TheBrickster, and I suppose that is a different matter, that image could certainly inspire a diorama.

Posted Image

Brick Expo 2011 - Australia's BIGGEST LEGO Expo!
www.brickexpo.com.au

#3 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 02 January 2010 - 05:47 AM

View PostCaptain Zuloo, on Jan 1 2010, 09:26 PM, said:

EDIT: I just saw the image in your post TheBrickster, and I suppose that is a different matter, that image could certainly inspire a diorama.
Yes - I mainly meant paintings, but I'm sure other types of art, as well as mechanical drawings of locomotives could provide a lot of inspiration as well.

#4 peterab

peterab

• Whacking witch hunter

Member: 6893

Posted 02 January 2010 - 06:42 AM

View PostTheBrickster, on Jan 2 2010, 04:47 PM, said:

Yes - I mainly meant paintings, but I'm sure other types of art, as well as mechanical drawings of locomotives could provide a lot of inspiration as well.

I'm currently using a book of technical drawings, along with photos, and refering to other builders Mocs to build a German steam train. Paintings not so much, as they tend to romantisize things too much and as Cpt Zuloo points out the details are insufficient for prototype work.

#5 Davey

Davey

• Dry Humper

Member: 6272

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:00 AM

I have a number of 'coffee table books' on trains that I repeatedly look to when building.  I also use a lot of internet photo sites that contain train images.  I can't say I have ever turned to a painting, such as the one you posted, for inspiration but it's an interesting idea...especially for the development of a diorama.  Good thought there!

-Dave
My Setlist // Dave's MOCPage // Stacy's MOCPage // ToT-LUG Photostream // Brickshelf Gallery // Our Blog

============================================================

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

============================================================

"What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"

"And you don't want to be here in the future...so you say the present is just a pleasant...interruption to the past."

#6 Captain Green Hair

Captain Green Hair

• Captain Fart Air

Member: 1914

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:22 AM

Paintings in general do not show a lot of detail, but they do show the feel and energy of the moment.
I love paintings for what they are, a view of that moment, nobody remembers detail out the back of their head right?
So yes, paintings are inspiring, to get the mood, the remembrance of a moment or to get the feel of a diorama.
But as for building, I rather rely on pictures and technical drawings.
Why do you need TLC to make sets for you, all you really need is parts...be creative!

The build a frigate tutorail!

New members please read the guidelines.
If you have any trouble in posting, deeplinking etc, please consult the
tutorials, or the help
section.
My Flickr

#7 Brickstarrunner

Brickstarrunner

Member: 7596

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:47 PM

HA   :laugh: !!!

I actually have a 1,000 peice puzzle (Never completed it though :grin: ). Its not a steam train though, but a yellow and silver Rio Grande #5771 with one engine, a B-unit, and three coaches. It is running on top of a low stone bridge perched above a rushing river with some sort of fisherman-cowboy-guy in the foreground and in the backround the beautiful Sierra Mountains. The backround looks like the one in your picture, minus all the fog and snow.

Although this stuff might be tricky to recreate in LEGO form though. I am probably guessing that the train and (if you have one) foreground would be minifig scale while the backround is microscale.

PS: I am trying to find the picture on the web and post it.

Edited by Brickstarrunner, 17 January 2010 - 11:48 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
"Can people hear it on...eh...SPOOFY?"

- Dan Avidan, Game Grumps (Shovel Knight: The Blizzard of '96 - PART 13)

#8 MightySlickPancake

MightySlickPancake

Member: 3672

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:21 PM

Its not really the paintings i find interesting it more the adverts that used to be all over Britian for all those fast steam services, for example:
http://gatf.files.wo...f...w=470&h=592
http://www.travelpos...lways-379-p.jpg
http://www.cvphm.org...se/Dscn6358.jpg
http://www.culture24...9/v0_master.jpg

thanks cb
was crabboy329 now MIGHTYSLICKPANCAKE! returning from a eurobricks darkage.

Check out my Team Fortress 2 Moc, my Green lantern moc or my brickshelf

#9 Sir E Fullner

Sir E Fullner

• The Admiral's croissants smell delicious!

Member: 7307

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

View PostTheBrickster, on Jan 1 2010, 11:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was just wondering if any of you fellow train fans are into train artwork -paintings, drawings, or even real-life images?

I discovered a new train artist (new to me) who does a lot of steam train art.  His name is Ted Blaylock.  I found a great image by him over the weekend for my home office/computer room.  I'd love to decorate the room with train artwork.

For those of you into train art, do they inspire you to build LEGO Trains?

I have two Ted Blaylock pictures beside my bed in my room. One is of a RG&S train puffing through some snow. And the other is that very same picture.

Edited by efullner, 03 August 2010 - 10:57 PM.

My MOCPage The Hon. Sir Ett. Fullner, esq, EoB, KEB My Brickshelf

Eat yer spinach, kiddies! However, don't forget the fish.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users