Tutorial: Downloading LEGO set instructions from LEGO's website

11 replies to this topic

Poll: Was this topic helpful? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Even a little?

1. Yes (17 votes [89.47%])

Percentage of vote: 89.47%

2. No (2 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:35 PM

I am making this quick tutorial to demonstrate how you can get high quality PDF back up's of your favorite LEGO set instructions at absolutely no charge!  Thanks TLG!!

Forgive all the pictures but I want to make sure there are no questions.

Step 1: Find a LEGO set in which you really want or may even need the instructions for.
I choose
Posted Image
7256 Anakins Episode 3 Starfighter.

Step 2: Go to www.LEGO.com

No picture is really needed here. :tongue:

Step 3: Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the link titled "Customer Service"

Posted Image

Step 4: Click on the link titled "Building Instructions"

Posted Image

Step 4: From here, you can now choose to either enter a set number,a keyword, or search by brand.  By brand they mean, catebories like Agents, or Star Wars, or Spongebob, so basically you can narrow your search down quite a bit, if you don't have a set number.  I'm going to search by set number since I have it.

Posted Image

Step 5: Since it was an exact match, it only brings up one set.  Go ahead and click on the set name, just one click is needed, not two.

Posted Image

Step 6:  If you click on that link where the arrow points you to, it will bring up the picture below.  Once it is looking like the picture below you'll see the download link.  Your going to want to use your mouse and RIGHT click that little image.

Posted Image

Step 7: Once you right click the downlaod image, you should see this.  You want to choose "save target as"

Posted Image

Step 8: This will bring up a save box.  I recomend choosing the desktop so it's real easy to find, and then you can change the name if you want, a good canidate would be 7256.pdf  Remember to keep the .pdf at the end of the name or it won't save it correctly.  Once you have choosen where to save it and what you want it to be named, click save.

Posted Image

Step 9: Sit back and relax for a minute or two depending on your internet speed, you should see this box and you can watch your progress and eagerly await your free st of instructions.

Posted Image

Once it is complete you can either click open, or just close this dialog box and then go to your desktop and your instructions will be waiting.

Thanks for reading, I hope it helped you.

#2 Inconspicuous

Inconspicuous

• RA Anniversary HP reviewer

Member: 6188

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for the quick tutorial, Big Cam. I don't need to download instructions very often, but when I do, my process will be greatly simplified. I think many others will benefit too.

Good job!  :thumbup:

Flickr~Brickshelf~Bricklink Store~Sale/Trade Topic
Check out my ABOUT ME page for more links!

#3 soc399

soc399

Member: 5223

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:49 PM

I've downloaded instructions like this before but never thought of backing up instructions for my whole collection.  Was your tutorial prompted by this topic?

#4 Darth Legolas

Darth Legolas

• Oh boy vomit brick!

Member: 4695

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:55 PM

Interesting set choice. :tongue: This topic will be bustling about in no time!
...I have a Death Star...

#5 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

View Postsoc399, on Dec 31 2009, 03:49 PM, said:

I've downloaded instructions like this before but never thought of backing up instructions for my whole collection.  Was your tutorial prompted by this topic?
No actually it was prompted becasue of this thread.

#6 CommanderFox

CommanderFox

• Can't remember his own name

Member: 5406

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for the tutorial Big Cam! :thumbup:
Ive never needed to download any instructions before, but Ill be sure to check back here to see how its done when I do need to one day.
Thanks alot Big Cam! :sweet:

CommanderFox
My Brickshelf!. The Brick Hope.
Anime and Manga fan, feel free to discuss anything anime on my profile :)
                                          CommanderFox playing as Ollivander Dippet for Gryffindor in Harry Potter Wizards Duel!
Posted ImagePosted Image - Kiwi Bricks

#7 RileyC

RileyC

• >-- Stupid Cupid --> <3

Member: 5251

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:32 AM

This is a great tutorial even though I dont need it myself it will sure help people that do.

Thanks Big Cam

Formerly gone by the name of "Roncanator"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Playing as Yasuko a Model in Yakusa Family Mafia
Played as Rickety Cannon a Town Nerd in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum II: Fraulein Bloodbrick Mafia
Played as Ruxana a Town Pilot in Baritones 3 Mafia
Played as Roweena Karnata a Town Guard General turned Dark One in The Coming Darkness Mafystery
Played as Cookie Custer an Insane from Spider Ward in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum Mafia
Played as Ron Canter a Town Folk turned Noodles Family in Eurodina Mafia
Played as Todd "Bulltoad" Bulstrode an Innocent from Slytherin in Hogwarts Mafia
Played as Ron Callister a Sane Pilot in Dystopia Mafia
Played as Ron Toreil an Honoured soldier in Imperial Soldier's Mafia

#8 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:41 AM

Ah, folks the downloads section doesn't have any CITY sets on it - they are not there for pdf download at all !
Only sets after 2005 in the CITY range can be viewed (but not in pdf) in the Lego City part of Lego.com, I hope it comes back soon.

#9 Milan

Milan

Member: 6465

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

I do not use it, but very nice from you to make this tutorial.
Posted Image   Posted Image    Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image    Posted Image
Website  Facebook  YouTube   Flickr    Brickshelf     Mocpages

#10 Astrote713

Astrote713

Member: 21623

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

This will help a lot. Wish I had known about it sooner!

#11 Pingles

Pingles

Member: 16363

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:16 PM

I only keep the pdfs.  I do not keep paper copies.  Every set I buy I copy the pdfs and back them up.
"I'm in it for the build."

#12 gratefulnat

gratefulnat

Member: 6384

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for making this known, Big Cam.
I've been using it for years, and it really is a great resource for instructions (over 2,5 GB downloaded so far).

Not everything is available, but for those of you who are SW freaks like me, every single set released since 1999 is there to be downloaded.

One minor gripe, the quality of the resolution is not what it used to be when TLG first made this available. But it's still another great customer service they offer which many other companys wouldn't or don't. So a big thanks to TLG!
"I have every sympathy with the american who was so horrified by what he had read about the effects of smoking that he gave up reading." - H.S. Strauss
Brickset haves, brickset wants

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users