Sign in to follow this  
Big Cam

Tutorial: Downloading LEGO set instructions from LEGO's website

Was this topic helpful?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Even a little?

• Yes
    • No

I am making this quick tutorial to demonstrate how you can get high quality PDF back up's of your favorite LEGO set instructions at absolutely no charge! Thanks TLG!!

Forgive all the pictures but I want to make sure there are no questions.

Step 1: Find a LEGO set in which you really want or may even need the instructions for.

I choose

7256-1.gif

7256 Anakins Episode 3 Starfighter.

Step 2: Go to www.LEGO.com

No picture is really needed here. :tongue:

Step 3: Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the link titled "Customer Service"

4231472109_45800d6e90_o.jpg

Step 4: Click on the link titled "Building Instructions"

4232240106_36edbfa024_o.jpg

Step 4: From here, you can now choose to either enter a set number,a keyword, or search by brand. By brand they mean, catebories like Agents, or Star Wars, or Spongebob, so basically you can narrow your search down quite a bit, if you don't have a set number. I'm going to search by set number since I have it.

4231472153_a14ed5b70f_o.jpg

Step 5: Since it was an exact match, it only brings up one set. Go ahead and click on the set name, just one click is needed, not two.

4232240216_22cbd1c5c5_o.jpg

Step 6: If you click on that link where the arrow points you to, it will bring up the picture below. Once it is looking like the picture below you'll see the download link. Your going to want to use your mouse and RIGHT click that little image.

4231472263_d7b621e680_o.jpg

Step 7: Once you right click the downlaod image, you should see this. You want to choose "save target as"

4232240270_fb82cc6f92_o.jpg

Step 8: This will bring up a save box. I recomend choosing the desktop so it's real easy to find, and then you can change the name if you want, a good canidate would be 7256.pdf Remember to keep the .pdf at the end of the name or it won't save it correctly. Once you have choosen where to save it and what you want it to be named, click save.

4231472533_b364ee3765_o.jpg

Step 9: Sit back and relax for a minute or two depending on your internet speed, you should see this box and you can watch your progress and eagerly await your free st of instructions.

4232240524_2a6e5b01cb_o.jpg

Once it is complete you can either click open, or just close this dialog box and then go to your desktop and your instructions will be waiting.

Thanks for reading, I hope it helped you.

Thanks for the quick tutorial, Big Cam. I don't need to download instructions very often, but when I do, my process will be greatly simplified. I think many others will benefit too.

Good job! :thumbup:

I've downloaded instructions like this before but never thought of backing up instructions for my whole collection. Was your tutorial prompted by this topic?

I've downloaded instructions like this before but never thought of backing up instructions for my whole collection. Was your tutorial prompted by this topic?

No actually it was prompted becasue of this thread.

Thanks for the tutorial Big Cam! :thumbup:

Ive never needed to download any instructions before, but Ill be sure to check back here to see how its done when I do need to one day.

Thanks alot Big Cam! :sweet:

CommanderFox

This is a great tutorial even though I dont need it myself it will sure help people that do.

Thanks Big Cam

Ah, folks the downloads section doesn't have any CITY sets on it - they are not there for pdf download at all !

Only sets after 2005 in the CITY range can be viewed (but not in pdf) in the Lego City part of Lego.com, I hope it comes back soon.

Thanks for making this known, Big Cam.

I've been using it for years, and it really is a great resource for instructions (over 2,5 GB downloaded so far).

Not everything is available, but for those of you who are SW freaks like me, every single set released since 1999 is there to be downloaded.

One minor gripe, the quality of the resolution is not what it used to be when TLG first made this available. But it's still another great customer service they offer which many other companys wouldn't or don't. So a big thanks to TLG!