Sign in to follow this  
Sisco

What is the funniest things you have heard said about Lego?

I was adding the ARC-170 to my sets on Brickset, and thought I'd look at the reviews.

I saw something pretty funny, here:

lego this is plastic not gold...

What is the funniest thing You've heard said about Lego?

I was adding the ARC-170 to my sets on Brickset, and thought I'd look at the reviews.

Me carrying 500$ worth of Lego home for MY collection after a big 50% off sale and a lady saying "Aw, some little boy is getting spoiled this christmas!"

That little boy is 33 years old, lady!

Probably when my (Idiot) uncle tried to convince me that turbo car chase was bigger than the volcano base! :wacko: My uncle truly is an idiot. Also the two quotes in my sig too. :laugh:

I say this is funny but it may only be funny in a British way, and I suppose the delivery of said line was also very important:

I purchased The Lego Book from a shop in Cornwall, it was an independent bookseller so the staff know their books/are quite intelligent etc. As I was buying it the lovely lady on the desk warned "It's not really for children you know," when I replied that wasn't a problem because it was for me, Lego is my hobby she replied in a rather amused voice "You loon!" especialy after I made an estimate on how much I had...

As I said, it was funnier in person and it also has to be said that when an educated member of the English calls you a loon it is practiacly a compliment :tongue:.

My lovely Aunty also said something un-intendedly funny too. I was showing my Uncle The Lego Book when they came to dinner the other week and while he got very excited to see all the sets he had had (HE HAD THE BLOOMIN' YELLOW CASTLE!!! AND SOLD IT!!!) my Aunty said she was never that interested by Lego, it took too long to build (she is ever so lovely, I cannot stress enough) and there wasn't enough people... Well, after my little brother stopped giggling they suggested I bring my collection down, all 366 + in mixed parts and made figures. We all had a great time making figures of each other (especialy my uncle upon discovering a blonde hair piece -aunty is blond- and my selection of bearded figure heads...) and it was very funny.

Humour is so subjective..

Basically the same as as one of the earlier replies...I am buying one Technic set in a store, and lady "Hope that this toy is not too much complicated for a kid you are buying this for", I said "I thing he will handle it!"

Or my favorite: when I told one person about how much parts I have, he was like : "Hey, Lego, is that when you use these blocks and you can make a tree and small car?"

I was cleaning and painting a the "U" shaped table you can see in my sig below. It was at my place of business in the shop area. A customer was watching me and ask what it was for. I explained it was for our LEGO collection at home. She said "wow, it is so big, you'll never fill all that space with Lego". I smiled

Not funny to her but then I explained how it will take up half our collection while laughing she realized it wasn't just a hobby but a obsession.

Along similar line as other members have already experienced, when I go to the cashier at the store to pay for the Lego, cashier asks "Would you like a gift receipt for that?"

Second thing I find somewhat funny, but mostly annoying (to the point it makes me want to scream at them), is when someone refers to more than one piece of Lego as "legos". First they pluralize it, then they lower case it too.

Edited by j3tang

I get a lot of the "gift receipt" question too. I think the cashiers are trained to ask that question no matter what you buy.

Funny thing, I heard is "Lego is for kids".

When I went to Walmart and got a Snowtrooper BP the cashier said " Would you like the one year plan with that?" :laugh: Seriously? I simply told her no. Great topic BTW! :thumbup:

when someone called them 'LEGOS' :hmpf_bad:

i looked them in the eye, laughed at them then asked them to leave.

Edited by legolooney

Made my day!

Some of my fellow FOL friends say Legos, and it's gotten to the point where I think I must just be desensitized to it. :tongue:

A large majority of Americans call them Legos. I have a Lego block, you have a Lego block. Together we have some Legos. It is not going away.

A large majority of Americans call them Legos. I have a Lego block, you have a Lego block. Together we have some Legos. It is not going away.

On craigslist I found I get much better results when I use the keyword LEGOS over LEGO.

Well, the funniest revelation I ever had about Lego was that Ogel was Lego spelled backwards! Tsk tsk, Lego naming a villain after themselves. :tongue:

Although, I just found out that Octan was Lego's own gas company. I always though that Octan was some European oil owner that I never heard of! :blush:

Well, the funniest revelation I ever had about Lego was that Ogel was Lego spelled backwards! Tsk tsk, Lego naming a villain after themselves. :tongue:

Not too surprising, considering the PPPR (Price Per Piece Rate) of some of the new sets.. :hmpf_bad::laugh:

I know, its such a shame :cry_sad: , i hear Americans on youtube calling them LEGOs and the press always say LEGOS when they write about an event of any kind.

never mind .... :sad:

I know, its such a shame :cry_sad: , i hear Americans on youtube calling them LEGOs and the press always say LEGOS when they write about an event of any kind.

never mind .... :sad:

Well that's not as bad. :tongue: One time I was looking through my grandma's scrapbook from Disney world and found the portion from the Lego store and found in horror that she spelled it like "legoes"

It wasn't even capitalized! :sick: I literally crossed it out and wrote "LEGO" in every spot she misspelled it.

Edited by computerbug

Funniest thing i've heard-must have been -when i bought a clone battlepack and vendor asked is this for a gift or do you use these yourself (well not exactly what she said since she didn't speak english) I just laughed and said :"you don't have to wrap them if that is what you mean" :tongue: How you can exactly "use" the lego- at least in finnish that sounded funny....

Ummm... sorry.... but as a foreign person i don't understand the problem- should we talk about "the LEGO" then -when talking in plural form :sceptic: i see nothing wrong with using word "LEGOS" it is just the plural form....

Ummm... sorry.... but as a foreign person i don't understand the problem- should we talk about "the LEGO" then -when talking in plural form :sceptic: i see nothing wrong with using word "LEGOS" it is just the plural form....

LEGO is supposed to be used as an attributive noun. LEGO is the brand, not any tangible item, and is used to describe a noun, such as LEGO piece, LEGO element, LEGO set, LEGO brick, and so on. You wouldn't say "LEGOS" because that implies LEGO is a physical object that there can be a piece of. It's the brick, set, factory, headquarters, and so on that are the physical items; LEGO is just the brand of these items.

The correct plural is Lego Bricks, or Lego Pieces, etc. However I tend to use the word Lego much like you use the word sheep or fish. "I have lots of Lego", does not sound bad in any way. Legos suggests pasta sauce to me though!

To me, the difference between "Lego pieces/bricks" and "Legos" (NEVER uncapitalized, though) is the same as the difference between, say, "Hang on a sec" and "BRB". I'll use the second one, sure, but ONLY when I'm in a time-critical situation. Otherwise, I'll just say it the long way and be happy about it. What I don't understand, though, is the stigma in the AFOL community against using the word. It's just a word...

As for funny comments, I don't tend to get those often; rather, I enjoy the look on people's faces when I tell them I still enjoy them, or when I'm at the checkout line with some sets. It's always a fun activity to watch their facial reactions. XD

~Trexxen

It's just a word...

If I was to be technical, I would say it is not a word at all. :)

People use BRB and "Sec" etc as a form of contraction or time saver. Legos is actually LONGER than the word Lego, so its use has no real purpose other than people being grammatically incorrect. Much like Sheeps or Deers

Another one for me is when people call Kiwi Fruit "Kiwi" ... A Kiwi is a small flightless bird that you most definately do NOT eat with a spoon.

Errr anyway, back on topic. Another funny thing someone said to me, after telling them I collect lego the other day is "Oh. Lego aye, I used to collect that when I was a child too!"

Grr!

Edited by Callum

Another one for me is when people call Kiwi Fruit "Kiwi" ... A Kiwi is a small flightless bird that you most definately do NOT eat with a spoon.

Ha its so true. :laugh: Or a spife for that matter.

On-topic: I once had a store clerk ask me what the lego I was buying was for. I replied it was for me and she just stood there with a strange look on her face.

...I just found out that Octan was Lego's own gas company. I always though that Octan was some European oil owner that I never heard of! :blush:

Me too, sort of. When I was smaller, I though Octan was a real company and LEGO had some sort of license! :S

Amusing topic.

I have one that comes to mind:

I'm in a work meeting, and there's a lady that works in a different department. We're talking about LEGO before the meeting starts because she has a 10/11 year-old son that loves LEGO. She always gives me updates on what he's building and has even brought in one of his little cars to show me. So we're talking LEGO and someone else asks her, "are you into LEGO"? She answers, "No, but I'm the conduit between (me) and my 10-year old son". It was funny at the time.

Well, similar to some of you, when I once bought a used set from a guy, he e-mailed me and wrote something like "I hope your little son will be happy". I don't have any children BTW. :classic: But I didn't feel like explaining it to him. :classic: