How do you keep track of your collection?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 desultor

desultor

Member: 6251

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:35 PM

Hey everybody, I read in the "how much is your collection worth" thread that a few folks track their sets on Peeron. Are there any others? What do you think is the best site for this? How do you inventory or catalog your sets and parts? Excel spreadsheet? Paper napkins? Thanks!

PS, if this is worth a poll please feel free to make it so, oh wonderous website wizards!

#2 Dfenz

Dfenz

Member: 1419

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:48 PM

View Postdesultor, on Dec 13 2009, 11:35 PM, said:

Hey everybody, I read in the "how much is your collection worth" thread that a few folks track their sets on Peeron. Are there any others? What do you think is the best site for this? How do you inventory or catalog your sets and parts? Excel spreadsheet? Paper napkins? Thanks!

PS, if this is worth a poll please feel free to make it so, oh wonderous website wizards!

I use Brickset.
Posted Image Brick.ie - The Irish Association for Adult Fans of Lego

#3 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 13 December 2009 - 11:51 PM

View PostDfenz, on Dec 13 2009, 05:48 PM, said:

I use Brickset.
Most people use Brickset, but I've seen people keeping their records on Windows Excel. As for myself, I keep track in my head, since I don't have a lot of sets.

Edited by prateek, 13 December 2009 - 11:51 PM.

#4 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Gimp

Member: 4757

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:02 AM

Brickset. However I also have nearly all of my instructions orgainsed by theme... I do have a bit I can't track as it was a mixed lot. I soon hope to have a method of keeping track of it though.

There are no red lights in a car chase!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 Ricecracker

Ricecracker

• Stormed Out

Member: 2221

Posted 14 December 2009 - 12:33 AM

I use Brickset for sets I know I own. I also print out my Bricklink orders and keep those separate. Whenever I buy a set, I keep the receipt, and I also have my instruction booklets tucked away.

#6 Davey

Davey

• Dry Humper

Member: 6272

Posted 14 December 2009 - 03:53 AM

I use multiple methods...mainly because I am anal retentive about having back-ups for insurance purposes and I still haven't decided which method I like best.  I started out by just having a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that listed all of the sets I own.  As good as that was, it was lacking things like the ability to show what parts I owned and keep an accurate current price.  From there, I joined LUGNET and uploaded my setlist to there.  Again, this was about the same as the spreadsheet, just online.  Not much of an improvement.  The next step was to join Peeron.com and port my setlist from LUGNET to there.  At this point, I had a good way to see what pieces I owned, but it still wasn't as user friendly as I would like.  For one thing...I had to be online to update it.  Finally, I found the Brickstore program which seems to be serving my needs right now.  It allows me to use it online or offline.  In addition, I can add sets or individual parts, I can import orders from Bricklink, and I can get a current 'worth' based on Bricklink pricing.  I would suggest you look at all of these solutions, but in the end...I think Brickstore is the best out there right now...IMHO.

Lugnet

Peeron

Brickstore

Good luck!

-Dave

Posted Image
My Setlist // Dave's MOCPage // Stacy's MOCPage // ToT-LUG Photostream // Brickshelf Gallery // Our Blog

============================================================

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"

"And you don't want to be here in the future...so you say the present is just a pleasant...interruption to the past."

#7 Piranha

Piranha

• Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:39 AM

Brickset Mainly

However I am making my own for personal reference a Rare/Special Parts List, Includes price I paid, how many I own and what parts I don't have.

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

#8 Rick

Rick

• Subtle like a hammer

Member: 5261

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:59 AM

Peeron for sets
BrickStore (which uses Bricklink data) for my bulk parts

#9 rriggs

rriggs

Member: 3307

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

I use Excel.  I have a spreadsheet that lists all the sets, the number os pieces, number of minifigs, etc.  It also has the price info (RRP, eBay avg, Bricklink).  For the older sets it also catalogues missing pieces and substitutions I have had to make.

Cheers

Rog
"I bet Einstein turned himself all kinds of colours before he invented the lightbulb"

#10 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

Brickset for conviniece but I have all of my instructions in a binder in plastic sleeves.

#11 Holodoc

Holodoc

• Has finally seen the box

Member: 1094

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:49 PM

I keep track of my parts with an excel sheet:
Posted Image

It's a lot of work, and I'm really behind of being actual right now. :hmpf:
But I always have a small list at the end of the spreadsheet what sets have still to be worked on.

On the other hand I can always see what parts I can use for MOCs and I have a list/diagram of what color I have in what quantity. (Really interesting I have to say! - Maybe I show a pic of that later on)

For sets I use both, Peeron and Brickset.
Even more interested in LEGO bricks & parts? Read Tim Johnson's (aka Caperberry) blog: Posted Image
New and very cool Posted Image: LEGO Physics (by kleinraum42)! Posted Image (Click on the photo and vote!)

#12 Davey

Davey

• Dry Humper

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:51 PM

View PostHolodoc, on Dec 14 2009, 08:49 AM, said:

I keep track of my parts with an excel sheet:

It's a lot of work, and I'm really behind of being actual right now. :hmpf:
But I always have a small list at the end of the spreadsheet what sets have still to be worked on.

On the other hand I can always see what parts I can use for MOCs and I have a list/diagram of what color I have in what quantity. (Really interesting I have to say! - Maybe I show a pic of that later on)

For sets I use both, Peeron and Brickset.

Holodoc:

You might want to consider the Brickstore program.  I think it would fit your needs pretty well based on what your spreadsheet looks like.

-Dave
My Setlist // Dave's MOCPage // Stacy's MOCPage // ToT-LUG Photostream // Brickshelf Gallery // Our Blog

"What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"

"And you don't want to be here in the future...so you say the present is just a pleasant...interruption to the past."

#13 drdavewatford

drdavewatford

• Give him LEGO

Member: 5149

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

Thanks, guys - interesting discussion for me as I always struggle to keep track of my spare parts and sets.

It sounds as if Brickstore might be best for this overall.

Is it possible to import lists of sets and loose parts into Brickstore ? I have a setlist on both Brickset and Peeron, and a list of loose parts in Peeron, and couldn't bear to enter all this info again from scratch.... I would however love to have all the info (including the cost/value of parts and sets) in one place.

Cheers,

Dr. D.
Some reviews on Gimme LEGO:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Love LEGO ? Visit my blog at http://www.gimmelego.blogspot.com

#14 AFOL SF

AFOL SF

Member: 2362

Posted 14 December 2009 - 05:37 PM

I'm probably one of the few who doesn't keep track of my Lego collection. I never thought about it and now it's too much work to do so. It's not the best of solutions but I just keep track of what I have in my head (for now)...

#15 The Green Brick Giant

The Green Brick Giant

Member: 5270

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:09 PM

I don't.  :laugh:

I try with Brickset, but it says I only have something like 150,000 pieces and 300ish mini figures.  I counted the pieces in sets I got a few years in 2001 I think and I had 58,000 in them alone.  I counted my minifigures around then too and I had close to 400.  So they are off and I'm off.

#16 Peppermint_M

Peppermint_M

• Gimp

Member: 4757

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

Urgh, for insurance purposes I have a lot of databases to create.. One for books (some are not rare per se, just rather hard to find these days), Action Figures (at £20 a pop, I would love to be reimbursed if they were every destroyed), Lego, Zoids, DVDs.. it doesn't bear thinking about  :tongue:

There are no red lights in a car chase!

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 CP5670

CP5670

• In search of litmus paper

Member: 2646

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

I use an Excel spreadsheet containing my set list and some basic information on each one (prices I paid, piece counts, etc.), but I'm not too happy with that as I have no way to check the quantity of a particular piece in my collection. I'll need to try out that Brickstore program.

#18 Rick

Rick

• Subtle like a hammer

Member: 5261

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

View PostCP5670, on Dec 14 2009, 07:53 PM, said:

I have no way to check the quantity of a particular piece in my collection. I'll need to try out that Brickstore program.
Peeron also does that. The website can be a little slow, which can be annoying when you have to add lots of sets.

Brickstore is made for managing a Bricklink store, and because you sell either sets or pieces there, you add either the sets or the pieces in a set. You could of course create two files: one listing all the sets and another listing all pieces. That's why I only use it for bulk bricks. Peeron has the advantage that you can add sets and still check how many of a piece you have, but as I said: it can be slooooow from time to time.

#19 CP5670

CP5670

• In search of litmus paper

Member: 2646

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:19 PM

View PostRick, on Dec 14 2009, 02:59 PM, said:

Peeron also does that. The website can be a little slow, which can be annoying when you have to add lots of sets.

Brickstore is made for managing a Bricklink store, and because you sell either sets or pieces there, you add either the sets or the pieces in a set. You could of course create two files: one listing all the sets and another listing all pieces. That's why I only use it for bulk bricks. Peeron has the advantage that you can add sets and still check how many of a piece you have, but as I said: it can be slooooow from time to time.

I started adding my sets into Peeron once, but it was taking a very long time as you said. I got through 40 or 50 of them (out of 300-odd) before giving up on it. :tongue: I also can't add my Bricklink orders on there, which are becoming an increasingly bigger part of my collection.

#20 RileyC

RileyC

• >-- Stupid Cupid --> <3

Member: 5251

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

I used brick set and I think I also have them on peeron because I wanted to see ow much my collection was worth. Its worth a lot more than it says because lego is very expensive in New Zealand.

Formerly gone by the name of "Roncanator"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Playing as Yasuko a Model in Yakusa Family Mafia
Played as Rickety Cannon a Town Nerd in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum II: Fraulein Bloodbrick Mafia
Played as Ruxana a Town Pilot in Baritones 3 Mafia
Played as Roweena Karnata a Town Guard General turned Dark One in The Coming Darkness Mafystery
Played as Cookie Custer an Insane from Spider Ward in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum Mafia
Played as Ron Canter a Town Folk turned Noodles Family in Eurodina Mafia
Played as Todd "Bulltoad" Bulstrode an Innocent from Slytherin in Hogwarts Mafia
Played as Ron Callister a Sane Pilot in Dystopia Mafia
Played as Ron Toreil an Honoured soldier in Imperial Soldier's Mafia

#21 Sergiu

Sergiu

Member: 8192

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:16 AM

I usually keep track of my sets in my head because I have just a few large sets, but sometimes I use Brickset.

#22 metalgearsolid

metalgearsolid

Member: 8457

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:14 PM

Brickstore is great. Started using after reading about it on this thread so thanks guys!  :classic:

Was using brickset previously (and still maintain the sets list there), but guess it's brickstore from now on so I can track loose parts too.
Visit my Lego blog: A Modular Life

#23 desultor

desultor

Member: 6251

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for the comments folks, and for the recommendation Cyclone! Brickstore seems to be the current champ (though it doesn't yet have the popular vote). I'll give it a go.

#24 Davey

Davey

• Dry Humper

Posted 27 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

Glad I could help everyone!   :classic:

-Dave

Posted Image

#25 dr_spock

dr_spock

• Ex-News Scout scouting for new themes

Member: 8775

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:58 AM

Currently I use an Excel spreadsheet.  I don't have that many sets and pieces yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users