Jump to content


1762 Port Kingston


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic  – Started by Nate , Nov 28 2009 06:44 PM

#1 Nate

Nate

    Posts: 26
    Joined: 26-September 08
    Member: 4003

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:44 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wanted to note something about the date. It's not supposed to be sticking out like it is..
it started sliding out while photographing it and I didn't notice it

I put together I slide show for this entry. You can see it here on Youtube

Brickshelf

Edited by Erdbeereis, 16 December 2009 - 06:25 AM.

Posted Image Blog Flickr MOCpages Brickshelf
Yes, I am THE NateKing

#2 MetroiD

MetroiD
  • Lost in the forest of life


    Posts: 2661
    Joined: 22-February 09
    Member: 5374
    Country: Bulgaria

Posted 28 November 2009 - 07:52 PM

Another wonderful last-minute entry (OK, not exactly last-minute, but you get the point:D)!

Lovely buildings Nate - the one on the left reminds of the Market Street, albeit in Colonial times - nice throwback :) The addition of a ship there makes the whole scene look alive, and she's a pretty one too! A merchantman perhaps? I really would have liked to see her sails, but I guess that's useless seing as she's docked. While I'm still on the ship - I'm not really sure about her stern's construction, it looks a tad bit too edgy. Perhaps you could try a SNOT solution to that problem?

As to the buildings - the blue one is definitely my favourite. That particular architectural style fits so well with those times, I wonder why no one had thought of integrating it before! Lovely idea :) The government building also looks nice, but I think you should have some more details over the flags to liven it up a little. Great way to depict the year that peace came to Kingston - although I'm not really sure why that plate+tiles piece between 7 and 6 is sticking out like that... Was this necessary in order to get the numbers right? It's not a huge problem, but it's still noticable.

I enjoyed seeing the buildings' interior - thanks for providing us with pics of that as well! I love the bar and the shop, they look quite authentic. I'd suggest adding some more furniture / plants to the government building though - it looks a bit empty right now... despite the red carpet :]

Finally - the quay. While the street looks very nice and lively, I think that the quay could have used some more details here and there. A couple of pirates unloading crates or chests, some rats checking on the comings and goings... It's just that this strip of your MOC somehow looks too lonely, especially with the ship gone, so I think a few details wouldn't go amiss.

And finally - I think your main picture should show your ship's bow instead of her stern... Not least of all because the bow is not as bulky and if you have any scenes going on along the quay, that would provide the viewer with a better way of actually seeing them.

Good luck in this category as well Nate :)
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Nate

Nate

    Posts: 26
    Joined: 26-September 08
    Member: 4003

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:02 PM

Thank you for all your complements!

That piece that is sticking out in the date (which I latered added under the pictures) wasn't supposed to be like that. it started sliding out while moving it and didn't notice it until later. I knew I need to add more detailing to the white building but wasn't sure what I should do to it so I decided to leave as is and make to look more castleish. I wanted to have more figures on the street but I ran out of the pirate torsos and really didn't have any others that worth fit that era of time. I do have a picture of the front of the ship with the town. I just liked the one I chose for some reason though. lol

I think I covered all of your questions. lol

Edit: And once Brickshelf is back up you'll have over 100 pictures to browse of this MOC

Edited by Nate, 28 November 2009 - 08:04 PM.

Posted Image Blog Flickr MOCpages Brickshelf
Yes, I am THE NateKing

#4 Bricknave

Bricknave
  • LEGO Fan Personality Test Creator


    Posts: 230
    Joined: 25-September 09
    Member: 7577

Posted 28 November 2009 - 08:58 PM

Great job!  I think that this is a very detailed MOC!  I really like the Mermaid that you put on the side of the ship, very clever.  :pir-classic:
However, I have a few suggestions:
*The water shouldn't be 100% blue.  Some more detail should be added to it, whether it would be transparent blue slopes to represent waves, or some white tiles around the wooden beams of the dock to represent foam.
*If you are able to get lots of tan and brown tiles just in time for the deadline, I suggest adding them to the dock and the floors of the buildings.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

My website, home of my quizzes and MOCs!

#5 Nate

Nate

    Posts: 26
    Joined: 26-September 08
    Member: 4003

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:16 PM

View PostBricknave, on Nov 28 2009, 02:58 PM, said:

Great job!  I think that this is a very detailed MOC!  I really like the Mermaid that you put on the side of the ship, very clever.  :pir-classic:
However, I have a few suggestions:
*The water shouldn't be 100% blue.  Some more detail should be added to it, whether it would be transparent blue slopes to represent waves, or some white tiles around the wooden beams of the dock to represent foam.
*If you are able to get lots of tan and brown tiles just in time for the deadline, I suggest adding them to the dock and the floors of the buildings.

I appreciate all of your suggestions! but I'm not very good at doing water and since I went with the studs up it'd be hard to put white around the wooden posts. waves I could do.. but we'll just say it's a calm day =P I actually didn't want smooth floors in the buildings. Most everyone is doing that now and I wanted to keep it "old fashioned lego" lol but I really do like your suggestions =]
Posted Image Blog Flickr MOCpages Brickshelf
Yes, I am THE NateKing

#6 Derfel Cadarn

Derfel Cadarn
  • Lives in a pumpkin eat pumpkin world.


    Posts: 1396
    Joined: 10-March 09
    Member: 5528
    Country: United Kingdom

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

Another nice large entry. The port looks great with some nice details and i do like the fact that you've added an interior to the houses, which gives the moc more depth. The ship is a nice addition and compliments the port quite well. It looks like a very nice ship with some neat ideas. Great work sir!
Posted Image Posted Image   
Lord Of The Dark Isle
  My Flickr

#7 Nate

Nate

    Posts: 26
    Joined: 26-September 08
    Member: 4003

Posted 29 November 2009 - 05:17 AM

View PostDerfel Cardarn, on Nov 28 2009, 03:40 PM, said:

Another nice large entry. The port looks great with some nice details and i do like the fact that you've added an interior to the houses, which gives the moc more depth. The ship is a nice addition and compliments the port quite well. It looks like a very nice ship with some neat ideas. Great work sir!

Thank you very much! =]
Posted Image Blog Flickr MOCpages Brickshelf
Yes, I am THE NateKing

#8 MetroiD

MetroiD
  • Lost in the forest of life


    Posts: 2661
    Joined: 22-February 09
    Member: 5374
    Country: Bulgaria

Posted 29 November 2009 - 01:59 PM

View PostNate, on Nov 28 2009, 09:02 PM, said:

I wanted to have more figures on the street but I ran out of the pirate torsos and really didn't have any others that worth fit that era of time.
Ah, I see. Well, in any case, the street looks just fine to me - I was merely suggesting adding something - anything - to the quay, and that doesn't necessarily have to include people :)

As to the white building, it does look very fine and castle-ish, so you've definitely achieved what you were going for! I was thinking that you could have added some kind of lighting to its front facade, nothing too fancy - a couple of torches for example could work quite nicely there.

Once again - kudos for this wonderful MOC (the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of Sid Meier's Colonization!) and good luck with both of your entries :)
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Nate

Nate

    Posts: 26
    Joined: 26-September 08
    Member: 4003

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:16 PM

View PostTheOtters, on Nov 29 2009, 07:59 AM, said:

Ah, I see. Well, in any case, the street looks just fine to me - I was merely suggesting adding something - anything - to the quay, and that doesn't necessarily have to include people :)

As to the white building, it does look very fine and castle-ish, so you've definitely achieved what you were going for! I was thinking that you could have added some kind of lighting to its front facade, nothing too fancy - a couple of torches for example could work quite nicely there.

Once again - kudos for this wonderful MOC (the more I look at it, the more it reminds me of Sid Meier's Colonization!) and good luck with both of your entries :)

Last night I was thinking and I remember I had planned to have a horse drawn coach to the street. but somehow it slipped my mind to put it in.
That's an interresting idea with the torches.
I actually entered all three sizes of the competition =] and thank you!
Posted Image Blog Flickr MOCpages Brickshelf
Yes, I am THE NateKing

#10 MetroiD

MetroiD
  • Lost in the forest of life


    Posts: 2661
    Joined: 22-February 09
    Member: 5374
    Country: Bulgaria

Posted 29 November 2009 - 04:20 PM

View PostNate, on Nov 29 2009, 05:16 PM, said:

I actually entered all three sizes of the competition =] and thank you!
Ooops, for some reason "Coming Home" slipped my mind there... even though it's one of my favs in the Medium category.
In that case - good luck in all three divisions!!! :pir-wink:
Can't wait to see your updates to Port Kingston!
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#11 badboytje88

badboytje88
  • Bad Lick


    Posts: 2565
    Joined: 01-May 07
    Member: 1561
    Country: Netherlands

Posted 29 November 2009 - 07:27 PM

This is a very nice creation. Very nice. I love the houses they are beautifull. I really enjoyed the enteriour orf the houses. Very cool of you to add shots of the interior. May I suggest some minor changes:

- The water looks a little bit too calm. Maybee add some wave effects or some things floting in the water.
- The port is a little bit too piecefull for my taste, I would love to see some action in your MOC.

That's it. Good luck in the competition.

~Bart

#12 Nate

Nate

    Posts: 26
    Joined: 26-September 08
    Member: 4003

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:30 AM

Ok just wanted to let everyone know that I just didn't have enough time to make updates to it. I really wanted to but yea. Also Brickshelf is finally working so I got all the pictures up. Link is below pictures on original post. I hope you like! =D
Posted Image Blog Flickr MOCpages Brickshelf
Yes, I am THE NateKing

#13 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat


    Posts: 4501
    Joined: 27-September 08
    Member: 4015
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

Posted Image


Port Kingston will even be visible on the frontpage of Classic-Pirates.com today!  :pir-classic:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!




Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials


Avalonia Trading Company


#14 Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort

    Posts: 18
    Joined: 25-December 09
    Member: 8733
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 25 December 2009 - 01:33 PM

Hi, i'm Lord Voldemort and i am new here.
I don't know how to post a MOC.
Can anybody help me with this?

Lord Voldemort
:pir-classic:

Edited by Lord Voldemort, 27 December 2009 - 04:15 PM.


#15 Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort

    Posts: 18
    Joined: 25-December 09
    Member: 8733
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

Oh yea, by the way nice port. :pir-wink:

Lord Voldemort
:pir-classic:

Edited by Lord Voldemort, 27 December 2009 - 04:15 PM.


#16 Rick

Rick
  • Where's My Ostrich?


    Posts: 8555
    Joined: 11-February 09
    Member: 5261
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:30 PM

View PostLord Voldemort, on Dec 25 2009, 01:33 PM, said:

Hi, i'm Lord Voldemort and i am new here.
I don't know how to post a moc.
Can anybody help me with this?
:pir-classic:
Welcome. You may want to check out the guidelines and index of tutorials (in general the pinned topics in the 'website and forums' forum are useful). And you can always introduce yourself in the 'Hello! My name is...' forum.

#17 Lord Voldemort

Lord Voldemort

    Posts: 18
    Joined: 25-December 09
    Member: 8733
    Country: The Netherlands

Posted 25 December 2009 - 02:35 PM

View PostRick, on Dec 25 2009, 02:30 PM, said:

Welcome. You may want to check out the guidelines and index of tutorials (in general the pinned topics in the 'website and forums' forum are useful). And you can always introduce yourself in the 'Hello! My name is...' forum.
Thanks for your help Rick!

Lord Voldemort
:pir-classic:

Edited by Lord Voldemort, 27 December 2009 - 04:16 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links