REVIEW: Atlantis 8060 Typhoon Turbo Sub

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: On a scale of 1 to 5 (79 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 - Poor (7 votes [8.86%])

Percentage of vote: 8.86%

2. 2 - Below Average (9 votes [11.39%])

Percentage of vote: 11.39%

3. 3 - Average (26 votes [32.91%])

Percentage of vote: 32.91%

4. 4 - Above Average (25 votes [31.65%])

Percentage of vote: 31.65%

5. 5 - Outstanding! (12 votes [15.19%])

Percentage of vote: 15.19%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 18 November 2009 - 05:03 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Diving into the depth of Atlantis, I present to you this exclusive two-part Eurobricks set review of 8060 Typhoon Turbo Sub.

PART 1

Posted Image

Theme: Atlantis
Year Released: 2009/2010
Pieces: 197
Minifigs: 2 (includes one human and one shark man)
Price: $24.99 (USD) purchased from Toys R Us

Pictured on the back of the box is various images of the little red sub:

Posted Image

Unlocking the mysteries of Atlantis involves collecting the five amulets (one contained in each set).  This set includes the yellow amulet with image of the turtle:

Posted Image

Images included within the instructions include a number of nice Atlantis artwork:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

New LEGO made for kids would not be complete without the decals:

Posted Image

The set includes two minifigs, one human and one shark man:

Posted Image

Both figs are nicely designed with printed designs:

Posted Image

The wonderful new trident piece with lime green fins for the diver and turtle amulet:

Posted Image

Now lets dive into the submarine, shall we?

Posted Image

The front end has two large propellers:

Posted Image

A side view:

Posted Image

A close-up of the front end:

Posted Image

From a different angle:

Posted Image

Cockpit cover.  The yellow looks good for this set:

Posted Image

Opening the hatch:

Posted Image

The tail which has a rotatable propeller:

Posted Image

The middle section has an assembly which slides causing the large front propellers to turn:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Opposite view:

Posted Image

Bottom view:

Posted Image

A firing gun is also attached to the left propeller assembly.  Turning them reveals the gun:

Posted Image

This concludes part one of this two-part image review.  

PART 2

So what do you think of this set?  Let me share my thoughts.

Just the thought of an underwater theme is exciting, especially Atlantis.  Many AFOL have been asking for an Atlantis theme for some time.  Did we get what we want?  Not exactly.  The Atlantis theme is definately a "kids theme" driven by vehicles, not very dissimilar to AquaRaiders.  Unfortunately, the theme and set collection is definately NOT Divers that can be easily integrated with CITY; rather it is futuristic with submarines like this one, that resembles a Star Wars Pod Racer.

This is my first Atlantis set purchased for $25 (USD).  I'd say it's certainly better than my initial experience with Space Police, and a whole lot more enjoyable.  I actually found the build of 8060 more challenging, especially for younger children, and was pleasantly surprised when I accidently slid the inner workings that caused the large propellers toward the front of the sub to turn.  New elements like the yellow cockpit hatch certainly make the theme more exciting, and this particular sub almost has a Nautilus like tail-end making me like it even more.  I don't particularly like the need for stickers to enhance the design/look, but I'm sure that applying them would certainly add some color and detail to the otherwise all red sub.  I'm loving the new divers suit and even shark man is fun.  I'm sure kids will particularly like this minifig.  The amulet is particularly interesting and I like the thought of collecting them when buying each of the Atlantis sets.

Overall, I'd probably buy this set again, and am looking forward to purchasing a few more of the Atlantis sets.

Edited by WhiteFang, 21 November 2009 - 11:40 AM.
Indexed

#2 Batbrick

Batbrick

• I'm back ...with a banana

Member: 1917

Posted 18 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

Tanks for the review TheBrickster, wonderful photography as always! I must say though that these pictures have really pointed out the flaws in this set for me. For one there is simply too much technic for me taste, and the holes show glaringly compared to Aquaraiders, which I was admittingly a fan of. Also, the lack of a good cockpit and oddball details really throw me off. I'll be skipping this set, though Sharkman I'll definitely get in a cheaper set.

Batbrick Away!  :devil:
And see and comment on KDog's hilarious Space Comic here:
Posted Image
Click on pic to see and comment now!  And please add this ad to your sig so more people can see this fantastic work!

Batbrick Away!

#3 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:19 PM

Seems that all the 2010 sets are coming out of the woodwork except the SW sets.

Good looking review, the pics are a bit small though.  I'm really liking these helmets more and more.

I'm curious where they are going with this 5 amulet thing.  Are there only going to be 5 sets?

The submarine looks so much better than the shark that has already been reviewed, this one looks good and like a really cool submarine.

#4 lightningtiger

lightningtiger

• Gungans taste like chicken

Member: 7997

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:53 PM

Interesting set, I can see these being modified into space fighters like a space-age A10 warthog. But back on target now, I like how the weapons can be deployed and is part of overall control of this sub. Also I really like the cockpit cover and it's hinged, note to Lego Star Wars designers, use this part !
I don't know if I'll be buying this or not, got a few City and Star Wars to get first.

#5 The Cobra

The Cobra

• RA Anniversary that 'jumps' in once a year

Member: 2895

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:49 PM

I rated it "below average".
I don't like the design at all, and I'm happy Shark-man, trident and those round-magic-things are available in cheaper sets.
Most overread phrase on S@H: "Sorry, item is not available in this country: Italy."

Quick Links: My introduction topic -  My first sets - My LDD MOCs. My Brickset: Have list - Want list. Reviews archive: see About me page.

#6 Quarryman

Quarryman

• It's crap (again)

Member: 1620

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:01 PM

Thank you TheBrickster for a nice review :classic:

Not sure what I think about the set, the minifigs are very nice, and the new canopy piece is great, sure hope that one shows up in a more useful colour, like trans-black. But the set itself seems like something I'll probably skip. Based on the US price it will probably be at least 199 NOK here, or more, which is way too much for this.

#7 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker

• Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 18 November 2009 - 09:21 PM

I am not a big fan of the underwater themes so these sets don't do a lot for me.  I like the new trident a lot though.  Great review...just not my cup of tea.
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#8 Fumoffu

Fumoffu

Member: 5792

Posted 18 November 2009 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for an excellent review.  This is a good looking set and I plan to get it.  I wasn't a big fan of the Aquaraider series but this Atlantis one is capturing my imagination much better.

#9 prateek

prateek

• Study hard!

Member: 426

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:11 PM

Nice review, although the pics could be bigger. :thumbup: As for the set, I think Lego kinda cheated with the camera angle of the box pic because the real jets are far apart from the main body, whereas on the box they look really close to it. :sceptic: And they could've put missiles on both engines instead of just the right one, to make it more symmetrical.

Edited by prateek, 18 November 2009 - 11:13 PM.

#10 Spyder

Spyder

• Minifig Identikit

Member: 5419

Posted 18 November 2009 - 11:46 PM

Great review. Although this has the most technic of all the new Atlantis sets, I'll still buy the set, along with the rest of the line.
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." -Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight

Long Live The Nizam!

Quoting Charlieboy:

Be carefull playing lego in the nude,those small parts can get everywhere!!!

#11 bamaker

bamaker

Member: 3318

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:01 AM

Wonderful review; I especially liked the images with the Atlantis motif.  Unfortunately, a wonderful review does not equal a wonderful set.  I rated the Turbo Sub as below average.  Too much technic and too exposed.  It doesn't appear to be very sturdy either.

#12 jerba

jerba

Member: 6340

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:10 AM

Thanks for the review! The trans-light green used in this theme is a fail in my opinion. I despise that color.
On Flickr: Tervlon

#13 Corvus

Corvus

• ¡ʎpuɐɯ ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ

Member: 1483

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:39 AM

Ooh.

I like the set, but it still seems a little too technic-y for my tastes. However, the others all seem to be a little bit more filled out.
True happiness: looking inside the box to see a perfectly flat instruction manual.

Posted Image

#14 NicksBricks

NicksBricks

Member: 7705

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:41 AM

Really cool review!  I'm not sure about the design of the sub, it's a little strange.  I love the new treasure pieces and i like the shark man.  The new diver/diver gear is also  :thumbup: .
My Website  My Flickr
"If Death Shall Come To Me, Can It At Least Wait Until After Breakfast?"

#15 CommanderFox

CommanderFox

• Can't remember his own name

Member: 5406

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:17 AM

Great Review TheBrickster :thumbup:
This looks like a pretty sweet set! :sweet:  
Pics are Great! :thumbup:
Well done!

CommanderFox
My Brickshelf!. The Brick Hope.
Anime and Manga fan, feel free to discuss anything anime on my profile :)
                                          CommanderFox playing as Ollivander Dippet for Gryffindor in Harry Potter Wizards Duel!
Posted ImagePosted Image - Kiwi Bricks

#16 Oky

Oky

• I am O-ky, English-German relations

Member: 2028

Posted 19 November 2009 - 01:52 AM

Great Review!  :thumbup: This is the Atlantis set I am most anticipating, and you certainly assured me that this is a must buy.
But don't you mean "trains neon green cockpit"? :sceptic: Sorry for being nit-picky, but for me, there's a huge difference between trans yellow :sick:  and trans lime. :wub:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi, 19 November 2009 - 01:53 AM.

#17 RileyC

RileyC

• >-- Stupid Cupid --> <3

Member: 5251

Posted 19 November 2009 - 02:57 AM

I feel this set is rather average. There is too much red imo and the fluro green doesnt really help the colour scheme. The propellers are a nice touch but what I like about this set is the shark man. His head looks great and the decal on it makes it even better.

Great review :thumbup:

Formerly gone by the name of "Roncanator"

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Playing as Yasuko a Model in Yakusa Family Mafia
Played as Rickety Cannon a Town Nerd in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum II: Fraulein Bloodbrick Mafia
Played as Ruxana a Town Pilot in Baritones 3 Mafia
Played as Roweena Karnata a Town Guard General turned Dark One in The Coming Darkness Mafystery
Played as Cookie Custer an Insane from Spider Ward in Dr. Bloodbrick's Asylum Mafia
Played as Ron Canter a Town Folk turned Noodles Family in Eurodina Mafia
Played as Todd "Bulltoad" Bulstrode an Innocent from Slytherin in Hogwarts Mafia
Played as Ron Callister a Sane Pilot in Dystopia Mafia
Played as Ron Toreil an Honoured soldier in Imperial Soldier's Mafia

#18 Brick Floyd

Brick Floyd

Member: 8190

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:02 AM

Great review TheBrickster! Definitely helped me make a better opinion on this set.
It has a good overall look, but it seems too flimsy. And like others have said, it shows a lot of technic. But, it does have a plethera of good peices for sci-fi builders.
Im torn on whether to get this or not.
Posted Image

#19 The Green Brick Giant

The Green Brick Giant

Member: 5270

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:12 AM

I thought I replied, I guess not.

This set is a mess to me.  It has a good basic design but from 99% of the angles the thing looks horrible.

I gave it a below average ebcasue I lived through City Center and it's better than that.  :laugh:

#20 Svelte

Svelte

• We miss you Schmelt!

Member: 1768

Posted 19 November 2009 - 06:22 AM

Thanks for the review, TheBrickster!

I have to say, this line does little for me. I'm not even that keen on the sharkdude, much preferring the more classically Lego-looking Harry Potter version than this cartoony fellow.

I am much more impressed with my MISB arrival this week of a certain aquatically inclined 6441, which I've been craving ever since you posted your wonderful review! :laugh: Sure, it was a little pricey, but one 6441 pretty much equals the whole of the Atlantis line for me :wink:

The different shades of red don't look promising from a quality POV.

#21 Thee Pirate

Thee Pirate

Member: 1026

Posted 21 November 2009 - 04:32 AM

I'll keep the details to myself but I really like this... I can definitely see it getting modded as a post apocalyptic vehicle... either flying or as a ground one. There are some really creative things on it, like the headlights for example. I really like that set up.
All time favorite: the original Imperial Flagship
Modern favorite: Race for the Stolen Treasure (X5 and counting)

Set list on Brickset
flickr

#22 hollisbrick

hollisbrick

Member: 126882

Posted 21 November 2009 - 11:58 AM

Thanks for the great review!
I'm liking this theme more and more everytime I look at them. After this review I shall consider buying it :wink:
I still think there should've been more scenery though in this theme :sceptic:

#23 fallentomato

fallentomato

• Evil Herbivore

Member: 3489

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:48 AM

I just picked up this set on my way home today. I wasn't convinced of the color scheme until I saw it in person. This is a really great set, and it has got me excited about the whole line. It feels like the true return to Aquazone (the 2007 Aquaraiders felt more like Divers 2.0 than Aquazone to me - still great though  :classic: ). I couldn't figure out how the proppelor flipping mechanism worked until I came here and looked at your review and then saw my mistake. Now that I figure it out, I agree, it's very satisfying. I kept flipping back and forth. This is the first set in quite a while that I really want to play with the way I did when I was a kid. Also the shark-man is awesome. I want a whole army of them.  :grin:

Thanks for the review!
Flickr - Nightly News at Nine - MOCpages
"My Lego disorder is the dreaded RAVENOUS HUNGER!!!" - 13 yr old me on rec.toys.lego

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users