Rufus

MOC: Genuine 4 seater car

About a year ago (and long before I joined Eurobricks), I was messing around with Lego Digital Designer, and made a number of car designs. With this one, I was trying to create a genuine four-seater sports car that looked good, and I'm fairly pleased with the result.

Unfortunately, when I applied the new patch, the original model didn't load properly so I had to change a few things, but the overall shape is the same.

4seaterfrontoblique_edited.jpg

4seaterfront_edited.jpg

The car is 7 studs wide, which makes putting the windscreen on quite a headache! I noticed on the MOC index that someone else (edit: LuxorV's Cabriolet) had used a similar technique with the angled windscreen, but I had to offset it by half a stud with jumper plates.

4seaterrearoblique_edited.jpg

4seatertop_edited.jpg

The bonnet, boot and both doors (should) open - it's difficult to get LDD to do that reliably, or to tell how strong the model is. Despite a modest number of pieces, Lego.com estimate its price at £33!! I guess that's the cost of picking the pieces and making the box. One day I'll make it myself out of spare parts :classic:

Hope you like it, C&C welcome!

Rufus

Edit: Click here (or scroll down) to see how it turned out in the plastic!

I agree - it's a mystery to me how you've managed to add so many details and functionality in an LDD model! I'm sure even more ideas will start coming to your mind once you get around to building it with actual bricks... not that this one is short of ideas! This is a great vehicle; I've always wondered how an actual realistic car which could hold four minifigs would look and what its scale would be -- now I know! Awesome job :)

Hello there!

What fascinates me most about this nice car is that it's 7-wide. It's not easy to build it that way. :classic: Maybe you should change the position of the two girls. The one behind the driver looks as she's sick, and should better sit in the front. :wink:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

Nice!

Car looks good. You do not see a Lego 4-seater every day!

Can you post a picture from the side of the car?

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. Here are pics from the side and one with the door and boot open (the bonnet should open, but I can't get LDD to realise that!)

4seaterside_edited.jpg

4seateropen_edited.jpg

The two clips on the top at the rear were to attach a folding roof, but try as I might I could achieve that on LDD. @Legostein: you can't see it, but the silver-haired girl is happy now :wink:

Looking great from side, I wasn't quire suer from the first few photos.

I am thinking in my mind how the car would look like with the roof...

Excellent model, man!

Nice and interesting design :thumbup: It's not easy at all to create a 4 seats car without making it ridicously big so BRAVO! :wink:

Very nice model - I didn't quite catch at first that it was 7-wide. Tricky fitting four people in but well done! But apart from the four-seater-ness, I like the application of curves and the profile of the car.

Great MOC :thumbup: It looks really good. One thing I would like to see is bigger wheels but other than that, awesome job :classic:

Nice car! I too am trying to make genuine multi seater cars. Hey how did you mount that steering wheel? I have a car that has minimal cab space and I need to angle the steering wheel like you have.

Also are you going to make a model with a roof? I too am curious how this model will look with a roof.

Edited by Taseden

Sorry to bump an ancient thread, but I finally got round to creating this car for real:

0_yellowcar_t640.jpg

Well, it's only taken me 18 months! :grin:

The original lxf file that I created for this model no longer works with the latest version of LDD, so this model was created mostly from memory, with reference to my earlier photos. I made a few changes in creating this with real bricks.

Front oblique view:

yellowcar_frontoblique_640.jpg

The biggest change over the LDD version is the front. I found a few of the 4x1x1 curve slopes, and used them in conjunction with the 3x1x1 slopes, creating an interesting contour for the bonnet. As a result, the bonnet no longer opens, but I like the look.

Front view:

yellowcar_front_640.jpg

I used some cheeses to fill an otherwise unsightly gap under the windscreen, which might represent an air intake or something...

Side view:

yellowcar_side_640.jpg

You can see it seats four comfortably. Here Rufus is taking some Weasleys and Harry for a spin. Harry isn't too happy that Ginny's up front with Rufle, and he's in the back with Mrs W.

The front and rear of the car are only connected by the plates at the base; I had to work a little to get it stiff enough, but convertibles do tend to flex quite a lot. I'm quite please with how the slope of the windscreen has turned out.

Underside:

yellowcar_underside_640.jpg

One of the downsides in working with an odd number of studs is the lack of large plates in an appropriate width. I've had to use several 2x3 plates at the base.

Rear view:

yellowcar_rearoblique_640.jpg

The rear is more built up than the front, which gives the profile a wedgy look. The rear boot opens, as we shall see.

Top view:

yellowcar_high_640.jpg

Here you can see how the windscreen is attached. I've had to use jumper plates to get the screen at the right angle; this took some work, and I'm not sure the connection is entirely 'legal'.

Without the figs:

yellowcar_emptysidehigh_640.jpg

I didn't have the right brown pieces handy; hence the rear seats are dark red.

Interior:

yellowcar_dash_640.jpg

The doors open, and here's a view of the dashboard. You can fit a lot more detail in a car of this size, whilst still keeping the scale appropriate for minifigs. It will probably look a bit silly in the average Town layout though....

The boot:

yellowcar_boot_640.jpg

It opens! Though it's quite a small gap. You could fit a couple of suitcases in there!

I hope you like it. I do! C&C welcome :sweet:

My Brickshelf folder, when moderated.

It's always nice to see brick-built creations come to form from the digital versions they were designed in. 7 wide is a nice scale and definitely has its difficulties to work in, so well done!

I can just never figure out why so many people on eurobricks insist that the driver should be on the right hand side :wink:

Wow. This is great! It's sad to see the front hatch go, but this is nice. I think it would be better to use a 2x12 and a 1x12 plate (if those exist) instead of the 2x3's to make it sturdier. :classic:

I can just never figure out why so many people on eurobricks insist that the driver should be on the right hand side :wink:

I hope you know Rufus is from the UK, as are a lot of members here. Cars in UK, Australia, India, China, and lots of other places have RHD :wink:

It's always nice to see brick-built creations come to form from the digital versions they were designed in. 7 wide is a nice scale and definitely has its difficulties to work in, so well done!

Cheers, slacker int! Prateek has answered your second point :wink:

Wow. This is great! It's sad to see the front hatch go, but this is nice. I think it would be better to use a 2x12 and a 1x12 plate (if those exist) instead of the 2x3's to make it sturdier. :classic:

Thanks, prateek! Good idea, but actually it wouldn't work - you need 3-wide plates to strengthen the next layer (two 2x8 plates with a couple of 1x6 plates end-to-end between them).

If I get round to it, I'll post instructions if anyone's interested. I promise not to leave it another 18 months!

Welcome back. Always good to see it in real bricks. Very nice work. :thumbup:

I realize this is a ridiculously old post, but it's just what I want if anyone has instructions for it.