wunztwice

Border Outpost (Castle Dio)

indexed.gif

Hi-ya everyone!

Finally done...

This MOC was originally built for BrickCon 2008 and has sat in a "Mostly finished state for over a year taking over my LEGo table. It's time it goes, so I finished it off quick and here it is.

4056446967_0142b39c3d_m.jpg

Photo is a link (for larger images on Flickr, click "all sizes")

I'm not particularly proud of the castle, but I think most of the landscping came together quite nice.

There are alot of details in the gallery/set.

Hokay, so here's the story I worked up in my head:

This small border outpost was attacked by some rabble during the winter, only causing some damage to the front wall and burning the barracks.

Now spring has come and the baron in charge of the area is able to pay a visit. He is coming to check up on the progress of the new barraks, while the town patriarch wished to discuss paving the courtyard to quell the mud...

The miller takes a break upon the arrival, while the Inn maid and stableboy finish their tasks.

Not even the stable boy is aware of the secret passage under the stable.

The diorama features a working waterwheel and millstone, secret passage, and more than enough rockwork to drive me crazy...

Thank you for looking, and for reading if you made it through all that!

There are a LOT of great details here. Some of my same feelings are summed up in comments/notes left on your flickr, but I suppose there's no harm in restating some praise right? :tongue:

First of all, obviously the landscaping is superb. The mountain formation, the water effects, the shores, the fall, all very nicely and neatly done. It is sad that you are not very proud of the fortification, though, since it is well beyond my level of skill, and I think it looks incredible, especially the way you have built it within the terrain. Nice backstory as well! :]

The landscaping (including the aforementioned waterfall) is absolutely amazing. :sweet:

I also just saw it on Flickr, it looks great. I'm a big fan of the landscaping and it's details. Particulary the snow and the waterfall are awesome.

The castle looks great as well. I really like the walls and the walkways behind them. :thumbup:

Nice castle, but what a magnificent landscape. :thumbup:

I really like your steam and waterfall, great snow effect on the mountain. :sweet:

the Inventor

THe landscaping and brickwork is superb, you must have a larger resolution pciture, you can barely make out any of the details!

Beautiful. Those curved mountain chain is awesome.

I like the watermill! It looks good in the video!

Lake is also very nice, like th rest of the buildings!

I love the way the snow is spread out on the mountain, and the natural flow of the waterfall.

The faction you used is really clever! Never thought on using that type of torso as a Medieval faction! :wink:

Oh dear god what an incredible pleasure it was to browse through your pictures for this MOC. It is absolutely amazing

I remember seeing pictures of this from Brickcon, and it's nice to have some "official" photographs now.

The landscaping is beautiful, really great work all around there; everything seems to fit together just right. My only complaint is that your barracks ends up looking inadequate next to everything else. Normally the building would be fine I think, but next to such impressive landscaping, I would like to see something more impressive.

The little lake looks good with those large tiles, but shouldn't it continue off the edge of the baseplate? Considering you have a steady spring flowing into it, the lake would probably become a stream.