Sign in to follow this  
Lego_Warlord_8

Oi! Ye Spilled Ye Pint!

th_thindexedgif.gif 101a

4050648961_2b7aac18de.jpg

4051391642_9ee2ca11e5.jpg

Ahh, another day of harmless drinking and brawling. What could go wrong?

Happy Brawling! :jollyroger:

~SR~

EDIT: Please notice that the title is incorrect. It's supposed to me "Ye Spilled Me Pint!" not "Ye Spilled Ye Pint!"

Edited by SlyOwl

If your other thread is going to be deleted, I guess I can save the mods some work and post that "c&c" I had in the other thread here then. Hope that won't be a problem...

To start off, the MOC is far from being peaceful - but that's what alcohol would do to you :pir_laugh2: I must say I really do enjoy the scene. However, I feel that adding a background story would help a lot here, since I am at a bit of a loss as to what precisely is happening... Did someone spill someone else's pint - because that's usually what would lead to a fight? Or was it all that rat behind the counter's fault (and I don't mean the poor bartender :) )?

Anyway, as to the details - I really like the cask, I do feel though that you should replace the 2x2 plate and tile at the end of the barrel with brown pieces in order to match the overall colour and make it look more genuine. The shelves behind the bartender also look nice , I wonder how they'd look if you'd add a wall behind them - I have the feeling that would round off the MOC while presenting you with a nice chance to add more details. As to the decoration on top - it looks catchy, but once again I have absolutely no idea what it should represent...

Overall, even though this is by far not the most peace-loving entry in this contest, a bar brawl is a definite must-have in any self-respecting pirate's day :) I'm really glad that we also have one such entry for the Contest! My primary suggestion to you here would be to add a bit of a background story - things should slowly start coming into place then!

Edited by TheOtters

Very nice work! I really like the scared face of the poor man in the middle of it all. The rat poking it's nose around the counter is also a nice touch.

Great work! Good luck! :thumbup:

Maybe a 'harmless' fist fight (i.e.: get rid of the weapons) would make it less violent. Nicely built little scene, though.

Maybe a 'harmless' fist fight (i.e.: get rid of the weapons) would make it less violent. Nicely built little scene, though.

As long as there's no blood, it's still more or less harmless in my books :pir-wink: Besides, you never know - they could be just practicing their theatric performance scheduled for later that evening, who knows :))) We're waiting for Lego_Warlord_8 here to actually tell us what has brought on this brawl.

Lego_Warlord - once again, you might want to use the [.img] [./img] tags to show the actual pics here in the thread.

Well, I know this has already been said, but it seems we cannot follow the rules about violence. There needs to be much less of it and though nothing has yet to be done in this MOC as far as a hand or head getting seperated, the insinuation is there.

Now that the formality is done, I will speak to the MOC.

I am always amazed about the skill and talent that goes into small MOCs and this is no exception. I really enjoy the look of the floor. Its multi colored and yet still random. I always enjoy a barrel up on the bar top and I think your choice of barrel ends is a good one as the regular barrel top would "spill" with its hole in the middle. You did a good job of showing the spilled drink and I rather enjoy your minifig use. Its still pirate but a little different that what we are used to. The strategic placement of your cups and goblets is good. The bar top and the bar "back" look exactly like an old time bar so I think you have accomplished that nicely.

Question? What type of peg legged pirate would charge at someone taking his first step on a fake leg? He would fall almost instantly, right?

Why did you use the rat in the MOC? With three people right there I don't think a rat would just be "hanging out". If it was a cellar or a basement corner I could understand, but right at the bar? The bar back top needs to be more like a pyramid and less wavy. I like your brown tile use but it could be more eye appealing with the torso as the top.

All in all a very good job!

-martinsuper

This is a very well put together set up. The expressions are great and the spilled drink looks real.

I really like this and although I'm not familiar with this violence rule (which I'm going to read up on now) but I love this MOC!

I do believe that some of the creative critics are beginning to get slightly carried away with that violence rule. Martin, it was stated pretty clearly what was allowed and what was forbidden and SlyOwl did supply an image to show just where the limits would have to be in this year's contest. I don't actually think we've seen an entry which goes beyong those limits - so I don't think that mentioning violence every time there is a hint of it, weak or strong, is suitable here. Of course, the judges will have the ultimate call on that, but at the end of the day these still are pirates we're talking about here. Even though portraying them in some awkwardly peaceful situations for this contest has proven to be absolutely hilarious, at the end of the day let's not forget that fighting and brawling is like second nature to them, which has also been taken into consideration when laying out the violence restrictions.

Sorry for the slight off-topic, I just felt I had to clarify my position on the whole violence issue at hand.

I do believe that some of the creative critics are beginning to get slightly carried away with that violence rule. Martin, it was stated pretty clearly what was allowed and what was forbidden and SlyOwl did supply an image to show just where the limits would have to be in this year's contest. I don't actually think we've seen an entry which goes beyong those limits - so I don't think that mentioning violence every time there is a hint of it, weak or strong, is suitable here. Of course, the judges will have the ultimate call on that, but at the end of the day these still are pirates we're talking about here. Even though portraying them in some awkwardly peaceful situations for this contest has proven to be absolutely hilarious, at the end of the day let's not forget that fighting and brawling is like second nature to them, which has also been taken into consideration when laying out the violence restrictions.

Sorry for the slight off-topic, I just felt I had to clarify my position on the whole violence issue at hand.

I totally understand where you are coming from. But then why more of the same? I think the "calm after the storm" indicates that just this once we need to do things differently. Otherwise, you know our MOCs end up all looking like scenes from SAW.

Wow your MOC sure has some nice details. There are however some things I'd change:

-I'm not sure about the minifig torso on top of the shelves behind the bar. Not sure wat it is supposed to be...

- To me this looks a little bit too empty. It would look better if you made a wall for behind the shelves an such!

Btw keep the rat, it's cute!

~Badboy

Edited by badboytje88

Great idea and all of the details are great. I can't say I like the inclusion of dark tan in some spots, but I do like the woodwork you've managed to pull off here.

Good entry, it's very lively. Some more glasses of bottles (but that's difficult ofcourse) would be nice but for the rest it looks nice.

The expressions on the faces are also great :pir-classic: