4899 Farmer and Tractor Review

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Poll: ... (17 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you rate this set?

1. 1 - Excellent (10 votes [58.82%])

Percentage of vote: 58.82%

2. 2 - Good (7 votes [41.18%])

Percentage of vote: 41.18%

3. 3 - Average (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 4 - Poor (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 5 - Appalling (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SlyOwl

SlyOwl

• Watch out for Infuriated Isaac's metatarsal!

Member: 2057

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:06 PM

Posted Image

Released: 26/10/09
Price: Free with Daily Mirror Newspaper, cost 45p
Parts: 28, plus 7 spares
Minifigs: 1

The "box" -
The standard polybag packaging for this type of promo. The transparant sections let you make sure that the tan fedora is still there!
Posted Image

The parts -
Lovely selection - green headlight bricks are always useful, no large useless parts. The spares are great - 7 in all - that's 25% extra free! Not sure why I needed an extra wheel hub.
Posted Image

The build -
Very quick - a matter of seconds. The tyres felt unusually sticky, but wasn't a problem.

The minifig -
The highlight of this set, and it looks fantastic. The reasonably new green dungaree torso, Pepper Roni face and green legs are decent additions, but the tan fedora is the ultimate part. You'd expect to pay $2 for one at the moment, as it only appears in the new Farm set, yet here it is for 1.5p! It's no wonder I bought 3 of this set!
Posted Image

The tractor -
A small tractor, and, judging by the green and yellow colour scheme, it's a John Deere. It looks more like a ride-on mower, though. Overall, it is very aesthetically pleasing, and detailed for such a small set.
Posted Image

Back view. Note that on one side there is a gear-stick, but on the other there is just a round grey 1x1 plate. Initially I didn't notice this, and put on 2 levers instead, which is a format I prefer.
Posted Image

3 men went to mow...
Posted Image

45p for 35 pieces is always a good deal, but the great part selection and especially the minifig make this a must-have.
An easy 10/10, which would still be the same score if it cost double. :thumbup:

Edited by Rick, 03 November 2011 - 08:33 PM.
Indexed

To the barricades!
Posted Image

#2 chris_austin

chris_austin

Member: 2613

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for the review. My W H Smiths didn't receive their boxes of tractors today so I don't have mine but hope that they do get them tomorrow :cry_sad:

What a great way to pick up a tan fedora. I wonder if the designers do this on purpose?

#3 Cardinal Brick

Cardinal Brick

• Academy Teacher

Member: 2547

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:46 PM

A great set I've been around to two Smith near where I work so I have managed to get a few. I think it's probably the best set offered by the Mirrors promotion this run.
Posted Image    Posted Image

#4 Dunjohn

Dunjohn

• EB Boardgames Reviewer

Member: 7364

Posted 26 October 2009 - 05:55 PM

Wow, I didn't get that many spares. I got three: one of each stub, and a lever.
On the stalls on market day,
You might hear little voices say....

Collectable Minifigures Trading List

#5 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:31 PM

Great review, this makes me want to drop like $100 on all the little impulse sets and just get a bunch of them.

#6 The Cobra

The Cobra

• RA Anniversary that 'jumps' in once a year

Member: 2895

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:50 PM

I love most everythin from this set, even the odd head piece. My rate is "excellent". And thanks for the review.
Most overread phrase on S@H: "Sorry, item is not available in this country: Italy."

Quick Links: My introduction topic -  My first sets - My LDD MOCs. My Brickset: Have list - Want list. Reviews archive: see About me page.

#7 Rufus

Rufus

• Schnell! Schnell! Kartoffelkopf!

Member: 6705

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:10 PM

Wow, it's almost worth it just for the spares.  There must be a big error margin in Lego's sorting mechanism to give you 3 levers when there's only 1 needed.  I got exactly the same spares as you.

The farmer guy is great - he just needs a piece of straw in his mouth & he'd be perfect.  Compared to this year's two proper tractor sets, though, this is more of a lawnmower.  Can't complain for 45 p!

#8 Ratshot

Ratshot

• Thank you for your contributions!

Member: 4799

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:15 PM

What a cheap price for such a great set. I really want one of those tan Indy fedoras :wub:

My flickr

Posted Image
1969 Dodge Charger RT

#9 Rocketbilly

Rocketbilly

Member: 4462

Posted 26 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

I too got the same amount of spares as you did.
I thought Iw as special!  :tongue:

It's a bit of an odd piece to get spare, that hub cap. Unless we were pretty lucky in getting them, and they weren't supposed to be there - when mine came tumbline out, I htought that maybe the tractor had a spare on the back that you couldn't see from the pic on the bag, but no.
Weird.

But a great review nevertheless - annoying, though, how the SW promo got so much attention, with several reviews, some even frontpaged. But this one's not really got much love.

Will/Rocketbilly

#10 Milan

Milan

Member: 6465

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:06 AM

I like this tractor very much. It is so simple and cute! And yet very recognisable.
Great review!
Posted Image   Posted Image    Posted Image   Posted Image Posted Image    Posted Image
Website  Facebook  YouTube   Flickr    Brickshelf     Mocpages

#11 Piranha

Piranha

• Tag! You're it

Member: 1506

Posted 27 October 2009 - 03:05 AM

Great review!

This has to be the best of the Daily Mirror promos  :thumbup:
I like the tan fedora and green overalls.
The little tractor is also very nice, but compared to the small one in 7237 and 7634 its not amazing

Nice little promo but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it, I think the other 2 in the farm sets are much better.
I voted "good" but not "outstanding".  :thumbup:

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines | Index of helpful tutorials | Eurobricks FAQ

Posted Image

#12 paul_delahaye

paul_delahaye

Member: 694

Posted 27 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

Our stupid WH Smiths gave us the frog yesterday, when we complained they said they only issued the contents of the box they were given, we pointed out it obviously says that the frog was Tuesday's promo!

errrrrr

#13 Matt Dawson

Matt Dawson

Member: 7007

Posted 27 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

View Postpaul_delahaye, on Oct 27 2009, 08:50 AM, said:

Our stupid WH Smiths gave us the frog yesterday, when we complained they said they only issued the contents of the box they were given, we pointed out it obviously says that the frog was Tuesday's promo!

errrrrr

on monday i was getting another copy of the tractor and I was given one of Sundays Doctor ones with the comment "we've run out." So i got another paper, and i am now in posession of 2 tractors (when I bought the first paper, I got given a lego set there and then) and an extra medic.
Posted Image
Want to see more photos? See my Flikr!
Posted Image

#14 MetroiD

MetroiD

• Lost in the forest of life

Member: 5374

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:00 PM

Argh, I would have read the entire Mirror if I had to, just to get my paws on that. Hands down one of the best impulse sets I've seen in recent years, I would definitely buy it if it was sold freely. Thanks for the review, SlyOwl - now I know just what I'm missing by not reading papers  :sadnew:
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#15 Rick

Rick

• Subtle like a hammer

Member: 5261

Posted 27 October 2009 - 06:59 PM

View PostMatt Dawson, on Oct 27 2009, 04:16 PM, said:

on monday i was getting another copy of the tractor and I was given one of Sundays Doctor ones with the comment "we've run out." So i got another paper, and i am now in posession of 2 tractors (when I bought the first paper, I got given a lego set there and then) and an extra medic.
Makes me wonder what the retailers (can) do with the leftovers, if any...  :hmpf: or with the stash they've got in the back while telling customers they've run out.  :grin:
Could be pretty good BL business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users