On a scale 1 to 5  

27 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• 1 – Poor
    • 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

"They looked out from the Fortress on the hill - There came a single warrior Returning from the kill"

(Gary Moore- Thunder rising)

7702: Thunder fury

Year: 2006

Theme: Exo-Force

Subtheme: Robots

Pieces: 197 (including 4 extra pieces)

Price: 15 USD / 15 EUR / ?? UKP

Building time: less than 20 minutes (not including sticker placing)

MISB on review: Yes

More info: Brickset - Peeron

Official description: Furious robot thunder! The most frightening of robots and the most powerful opponent of EXO-FORCE, Thunder Fury's titanium power saw and automatic laser cannon make it a major threat to the safety of the humans of Sentai Mountain! - Includes Devastator robot pilot minifigure! - Includes special light brick and energy tubing to make the Thunder Fury "power up!" - Thunder Fury stands over 7.5 inches (19cm) high! - Rebuild into the Fire Fury or combine with #7703 Fire Vulture to build a giant Battle Machine. See www.EXO-FORCE.com for building instructions and more building inspiration photos.

Box front: A bit of 3D, see the relief printing of the TF shape.

7702-01.jpg

Box inside: some comics featuring Thunder fury Vs. Grand titan.

7702-03.jpg

Box inside: Mecha highlights and an alternate model.

7702-02.jpg

Box rear: Combo model of the two "stand-alone" Robot mechas and theme overview.

7702-04.jpg

Box content: 4 bags, sticker sheet, instructions booklet.

7702-05.jpg

Stickers: quite a few, they even have numbers for an easier placing.

7702-051.jpg

Not so random instructions page: Those slopes (steps 6 and 7) look as if they were different colors. They both actually are black. And cones that appear to be solid red are actually Trans red.

7702-052.jpg

Inventory: It takes two pages to list all the pieces. Click for larger images.

7702-053b.jpg 7702-054b.jpg

Pieces: This model is based on black, gray (light and dark) and dark red, plus a bit of trans red pieces.

7702-06.jpg

7702-07.jpg

Minifig and unusual pieces: Devastator (whose body is partly gray and partly trans red) wants to show us some pieces.

7702-08.jpg

7702p1.jpg Brick 3x3 without corner: not a popular piece but it first surfaced in 2001 and still is used.

7702p2.jpg Technic Transmission Driving Ring Extension: from class of 1999, in its most popular color.

7702p3.jpg Wedge 4 x 4 Corner: not really popular, only used from 2004 to 2007 so far;

7702p4.jpg Minifig Accessory Speargun: Hey, Robots like spearfishing too!

7702p5.jpg Electric Light & Sound Brick 2 x 4 with Red LED: main feature of the early Exo-Force large sized mechas, it ended up being a 2006 exclusive.

(Pics courtesy of Peeron)

Building: Let's start: Plates under the light brick, tiles with clip to hold the fiber optics cable and...

7702-09.jpg

Building: ...Technic pins for Technic beams! Those sockets will host the legs.

7702-10.jpg

Building: A rear view. The hinge top is not there to hinge, but to stop the moving cockpit.

7702-11.jpg

Building: These two mirror imaged parts are the breast and shoulders of the TF. This is how they look on the inside...

7702-12.jpg

Building: ...and here is the oustide. Sockets will host the arms.

7702-13.jpg

Building: The core of the Thunder fury is nearly already complete. The pin in the axle joiner is there to help pressing the light brick. This works way better without Devastator's standing.

7702-14.jpg

Building: Left and right leg look exactly the same. Feet are connected to anckles via a "Technic Pin Long with Friction"; this was a bad choice and I'll later tell you why.

7702-15.jpg

Building: Short upper arms, a laser gun on the right and a (yep, Bionicle) sword on the left.

7702-16.jpg

Building: Here's Devastator's "open cockpit"; binoculars turned into small cannons, just like in some Batman sets.

7702-17.jpg

Building: The trunk, the arms and the legs. Thunder Fury is nearly complete, but mechas have (lots of) stickers too!

7702-18.jpg

Thunder Fury: Front view of the model with them all stickers.

7702-19.jpg

Thunder Fury: Side view. Man Mecha, watch your back!

7702-20.jpg

Thunder Fury in action: Battle posed, ready to attack.

7702-21.jpg

Thunder Fury in action: A view from the rear.

7702-22.jpg

Thunder Fury in action: Facing the Grand Titan.

7702-23.jpg

Thunder Fury in action: Are human forces about to collapse?

7702-24.jpg

Review:

An headless body, like most every (if not all) Exo-Forxe mechas. An open cockpit, beacuse robots are tougher than humans. A LED lit cannon and a saw-edged sword. Joints everywhere, to make this mecha's articulations as close as possible to the human body. Lots of stickers to help you decide whether you want to buy this set for what it is or not buy it beacuse you can't use stickered pieces for your MOCs. And spearguns, the "piece used in a total different way from what it is", like frogs used as coat hooks in the modular Fire station. I believe these spearguns should either work as antennas or hooks; they surely look like "the piece that shouldn't be there in real life beacuse it would be the first to be swept away".

There are two main flaws with the Thunder Fury. 1) feet. "Ankles" are built like all other articulations, but there is just a 3-long Technic pin (ankle to foot) which grants posability and instability at the same time. 2) activating the lightning system. You have to press the cockpit, and you have to be touchy or you will destroy most of the TF before it comes close to a Human machine. And both flaws seem to be common amongst the first Exo-Force wave (or is it just that my hands are too big compared to a kid's?).

Another flaw is the wrong color reference in some (many) instructions steps. Looking at the inventory pages or separate pieces by color will solve the problem in short time.

Such an heavy body on such small legs might look like another flaw, but Lego designers are not newbies; I think there is no collapsing risk even for those who leave the model staing tall without posing it, and they will be a small minority. A one-click backwards rotation of the higher leg articulation will just bring most help these people need.

Rating:

Color scheme: 5/5. Lego colors of evil (dark red and black) strike again, after Vladek and his army and before Fantasy era skeletons' shields.

Minifigs and accessories: 4/5. It's not that this set is short on minifigs (all of these mechas had the pilot only and no one else, some -like TF- with no accessories at all), it's just that most robots look the quite the same. At least this version of Devastator has the 2-tone body.

Pieces: 4/5. This set is not what you're looking for to use in your MOC (unless you're into Mecha building), but all pieces make sense in the set as it is.

Playability: 4/5. The TF comes with lots of joints and the lightning brick, so that should grant some fun.

Design: 3/5. It doesn't look as good as some other E-F sets; flaws are not really different from other 2006 mechas.

Overall rating: 4/5. Great look, minor flaws, might not be a great stand-alone but a must in any Exo-Force collection.

The final words: If you missed this one, try surfing the net, you can still get one for less than RRP.

Great review,not one of my favourite ef mechs but defo not the worst! Ive almost got every ef set now,just need to find two more then the collection is complete!

Does anybody else still collect them?

Good reviw! :sweet: This review made made me remember how awesome exo-force was too bad they ruined it. :sadnew:

Good reviw! :sweet: This review made made me remember how awesome exo-force was too bad they ruined it. :sadnew:

How so?

Never really liked Exo-Force, but I always like to see one. And this one is not bad at all.

This is nice review, detailed and tidy!

Nice review. In my book it is a shame that Exo-force is no more. I preferred the earlier sets (like this one) to some of the latter ones. Don't know why but I just prefer the looks of the earlier sets.

Great review of one of my favorite Exo-Force sets of this size. I still got the four original sets in boxes, lol I'm the worst Exo-nerd around, got 5 of this particular set reviewed here.

Robots and mechs, bring it on. The only one I don't have is 7712, Supernova :cry_sad:

I rate this one above average.

Very good review - thanks a lot for reviving some Exo Force here. Sometimes I am afraid it will soon be forgotten, like the Aqua Raiders, like Agents and so on.

I have to admit though, that I only bought some of the humans' machines, cause I prefer minifigs way over these strange robots and I liked their mechs more. I didn't find it difficult to play with, cause I always played Space-themes in the past with a "phantom menace" - just patroling or fighting against nature.

@Front: http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=61695 it is cheap for such a great set, get it while you can! Shipping from germany should be 15 or so to denmark.

Thanks again for the review, makes me remember this nice line!

I remember Exo-Force. I remember not buying any Exo-Force :sadnew:

But that has nothing to do with a great review.

You covered all the angles, great review!

Didn't have this one. Exo-Force is my "main" Lego line, it's what got me back into Lego, but only towards what has turned out to be the later stages of the line, so I'm missing most of the sets. Uhrrr... NEVER show an Exo-Force mech from the side or the rear, the designers really didn't give anything other than the front any attention, as your pics show. That's Exo-Force's main downfall. Still good, though. Good review, cheers!

Great review,not one of my favourite ef mechs but defo not the worst! Ive almost got every ef set now,just need to find two more then the collection is complete!

Does anybody else still collect them?

As a matter of fact, I do! :)

EF is still my main focus on Lego themes and I still think it´s such a shame it was ruined discontinued after an excellent start with wave 1, a not so good wave 2 and an excellent again wave 3.

However, I have all the sets now. Every single one, some mutliples for parts, alternate or combi builds and some for MOCs. Even all the promos.

If any of you is still into EF, take a peek at my signature. I paused my Project Sentai Mountain story after an obvious lack of interest, but with enough feedback I might start again.

Aaaaand, back to Topic: Nice review! Makes me want to get the boxes out and start building again :D

EXO-Force was cool, but the spectacular revival of Lego's classic themes have given me more than enough to focus on!

Exo-Force was an awesome theme. I loved the idea of giant robot anime LEGO. It was like a million good things, all in one idea. But the second two years of it sucked.

Great detailed review! Exo-Force was the theme that got me back into collecting Lego after many many years. I managed to collect all the sets over the 3 year run (except for the promo ones in poly bags)

Great review of one of my favorite Exo-Force sets of this size. I still got the four original sets in boxes, lol I'm the worst Exo-nerd around, got 5 of this particular set reviewed here.

Robots and mechs, bring it on. The only one I don't have is 7712, Supernova :cry_sad:

I rate this one above average.

Hi Front! I've seen from other threads that you worked on Bionicle and I'm curious if you were involved in Exo-Force?

The 4 flagship mechs from the first year were awesome, and what was especially outstanding were the alternate models featured on the back of the boxes. It's a shame newer themes/sets have given up on displaying "inspiration" alternate builds on the boxes apart from multi-set combo models.

Hopefully you can find the Supernova on an online auction site as it truly was one of the best sets in the series. I personally bought a few copies of that one.

Best line of that year IMO. Great review. I missed out on this line, but I did help my cousin build his Grand Titan, which was really fun, and the light feature was amazing :cry_happy::thumbup:

Oh I miss this theme :cry_sad: . It had a greaat plot and some really cool pieces like the golden katana! It's too bad the sets and the plot at the end just slowed down because it had potentiol :hmpf_bad: .

Thanks for reviewing this set, it brings up good memories. Very good review.

Nice review The Cobra. :thumbup:

Exo-Force was a nice theme, only con was that in every set there was so many stickers! :laugh:

This was a nice set, it has some really cool parts in it.

Nice review!

CommanderFox

Edited by CommanderFox