Carbohydrates

MOC: 1930s Sedan

A member of another forum I frequent posted WIP pictures of his 1930s police precinct, and it inspired me so much, I've converted my small street display (based around the modular houses) to a 30s-era scene as well! I picked up the Shanghai Chase set to get my hands on some appropriate vehicles, but I wasn't a huge fan of the blockiness of the villainous Chinese car, so I made my own sedan to cart my mafioso around in! Since it was meant to be mob transport, it was important to allow it to fit at least 3 figs while still being in scale with other vehicles.

I apologize for the blurriness of some of these photos. I work all day and never have natural light available when I want to photograph things! I'll hopefully get some better shots come weekend.

Without further ado!

30ssedan008.jpg

30ssedan001.jpg

30ssedan002.jpg

30ssedan003.jpg

Gallery: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=404587

This one, like everything else I make, was designed digitally and ordered through Bricklink. 147 pieces, cost about $20 (it uses some rather expensive pieces, unfortunately). I'm overall very happy with how it turned out, I just wish they made those rear wheel well pieces in light gray.

As long as I've got you all here, allow me to show you a few more 1930s brick-a-brack!

Here's a convertible that I'll also likely order. It uses a very similar front wheel well design as the Sedan, but a bit cleaner. Kind of a version 2.0 of the design. It also features the colors dark green and dark tan, which will make it significantly more expensive to order via Bricklink. It also also features a 5-stud width body on a 6-stud width base to give it a 1/2 stud running rail on either side and a sleeker overall shape than the 6-wide sedan above. I made this vehicle mostly because I want a dark green car. Not much more to it than that!

30sc001.png

30sc002.png

30sc004.png

Here's a bit of furniture. I'll most likely use a lot of these in decorating the inside of Cafe Corner.

30s.png

And finally, here's what I have thus far for vehicles. 3 by LEGO, 2 by me. Once I get that dark green convertible, I think I'll be set!

30ssedan010.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Edited by TheBrickster

Your cars are looking excellent, the Black Arches to create the back look very sleek. In the group shot the Lego version from Shangai Chase really stands out for being to blocky, maybe you could convert this into some kind of truck?

You Furniture is also excellent, you have really captured the style well. All are really excellent detailed designs. Good luck with your 1930's project, I am sure it will look good if you keep up this standard!

Sedan is so nice!

I like how its lines goes so smoothly. Hood and roof is also great. One of the best!

Whoa! Absocarbinglutely fantastic! You're a master of 30s designs (nothing new, but I just had to say that)... The techniques you've utilised there are very clever, you're quite a bit out of the box ;) Can't wait to see the green convertible in actual bricks!

Btw... can I please your typewriter design when furnishing our CC? It's just plain awesome!

Those are really good. They really represent the era of vehicles you are making.

I especially like the way you made the front fenders, and bumper. The use of the droid arms??? was a great idea. THe rear cabin, the way it slopes is great, very iconic.

Those are two excellent MOCs. That's probably the best looking Model A I've ever seen... Other than my 4 wides but those were built as fenderless hot rods. I have a number of engine designs you're more than welcome to use, but you'll have to wait til I'm done moving

Wonderful creations, Carbohydrates, your Sedan is impressive, specially the "round" doors detail :wub:

If you decorate the interior of the CC in 1930's style don't forget to post pics, I would love to see that :wink:

Awesome. Your photo with your black car and the original one make that original one look like a hearse! Yours is so much better!

Thank you all very much for the feedback! As promised, here are a few more photos. My camera's macro function is a little too focused, so parts of the model are a smidge out of focus no matter what I do. I think the lighting is overall better, though it doesn't capture the detail in the black parts quite as well.

1930ssedan001.jpg

1930ssedan002.jpg

Here's a breakaway to show how some of it was built:

1930ssedan006.jpg

Again, thanks for your feedback!

What a great collection of 30's era vehicles and accessories.

I have to say what stood out for me though was the side panels on the cab of the black sedan at the top. Using seats on their side to make the car panels that meet up with those doors. Brilliant!

Great MOCs! The chair as the door is genious and the arche pice at the back looks good :thumbup: Seeing all the 30's style cars in one pic is also interesting :classic:

I intend to use these cars for future MOC's, there excellent :thumbup:

I really hate 'bumping' a year old thread, but I saw your pictures under your signature on the minifig thread and I had to investigate. You see, I was also looking for a better version of that vehicle. I actually tried to build the other car from Shanghi Chase in black and red for my 1930's superhero group. I was so short on the original parts that it ended up looking like a multicolored mostrosity (it's actually not that bad, but not what I was hoping). Now, using some of your innovative ideas, I may be able to actually construct the car without ordering parts! If I ever post picks of the team, I'll be sure to credit you. Thanks again, and sorry for the bump.

Sometimes topic kicks serve a good purpose. I can't believe I never commented on this one. Your cars are very clever designs: I really like the use of the seats as sides for the car. I really like your 1930s interior items: very simple, yet highly effective.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. It's really been 8 months since I made that car? Wow! I've still got it together on my desk.

Edited by Carbohydrates

All cars is matching with modular house , classic and realistic car

Decorations is so real , espacially typewriter and telephone!.

Great work!!