Duq

MOC: BR 70 - My first steam engine

traintech1.jpg

This should have been my category 2 entry for the Train Tech Contest but I didn't get it finished in time...

4016658473_24c0a43dcf.jpg

I actually started working on this months ago for the second challenge on Flickr (the 2-4-0). That's also the reason my first steamer ended up being a BR70 which I think is a bit of an ugly duckling. The proportions just don't seem quite right.

For a first steam engine I'm quite happy with it, even if it's not perfect. Unfortunately I didn't have room for a motor in that tiny boiler so it will need a motorised car behind it. My next steamer should have a PF motor though.

Hi Duq,

during the summer I started working on a LEGO version of the BR70, too. It seemed to be an easy introduction into the steam world. I didn't come to a satisfying result. Did you create a CAD-File you'd like to share?

The yellow lights look very nice, but the "walls", that are made from three 1x8 tiles: GOOD WORK!

Stefan

Edited by Leergut

I have indeed made a cad version. I'm putting the finishing touches to the instructions. Watch this space as they say ;-)

Looks great Duq! I'm yet to venture into the world of steam MOCing, but I plan to in the near future, and if my first loco turns out anything at all like that one, I'll be over the moon. Well done mate. :thumbup:

I actually started working on this months ago for the second challenge on Flickr (the 2-4-0). That's also the reason my first steamer ended up being a BR70 which I think is a bit of an ugly duckling. The proportions just don't seem quite right.

For a first steam engine I'm quite happy with it, even if it's not perfect. Unfortunately I didn't have room for a motor in that tiny boiler so it will need a motorised car behind it. My next steamer should have a PF motor though.

I also find the proportions of older German steam locos odd, but I think thats because later locos had a uniform look due to the standardised cabs and boilers of the 'einheitsprogram'. I think you've done a very nice job on this. I would not have guessed it was your first steam Moc.

EditedToAdd: I just noticed the steps up to the coal tender using 1x1 slopes on your flickr photos. Thats a great technique, I'm sure I'll 'borrow' it in the future.

Edited by peterab

Thanks Captain!

I'm afraid it won't be at Legoworld. The problem with Zwolle is like they sing in that famous song: "It's a long way from Tipperary..."

;-)

Wow, if this is your first one I can't wait to see what you can do next.

My initial reaction was: "that boiler is way to small", but I checked some reference pictures and you did get it right! Well done, really nice loco. There is something special in black and red steamers.

Happy steaming!

I have indeed made a cad version. I'm putting the finishing touches to the instructions. Watch this space as they say ;-)

Hi Duq,

Did you finish? :)

Leergut

The little engine that COULD - beautiful - simple - it's steam ! :sweet:

Fantastic design and well trimed too ! :sweet:

Great job you have done here 'Duq' and I'm a conformist! ! :sweet: