Sign in to follow this  
Etzel

Treasure of Knowledge

4135739071_69cb439372.jpg

4136500170_fa620662ae.jpg

4136500254_33a4db9e1f.jpg

Thanks for watching :pir-classic:

/Etzel

EDIT: Changed to Flickr-hosted pictures.

Edited by SlyOwl

Green shrubs much? :pir_laugh2:

This is a great entry, because as we all know, knowledge is the greatest treasure (after LEGOs, of course). I adore how you've seamlessly integrated the SNOT water and the regular land, it adds quite a lot to the entry. I like how the pirates are so ecstatic at having found all these old papers, totally the opposite of how we would expect pirates to react. All in all, good entry.

Great work on this. I love what I see! :pir-classic:

The bit of rock work is nice. Landscaping has got to be one of my favorite things to to with LEGO. I like the idea behind this to although that pirate seems quite happy to just be finding knowledge when like most pirates I'm sure he craves gold. :pir_laugh2: I guess that's what makes this MOC though. The transition of water is good and the transition from water to the beach also looks great. All the pirates looks set for adventure and ready to find it.

The photography is a little misleading with this creation though. I mean the creation is great, but when I first look at it and see the lines and nicks in the poster board I go "Aw not a weird MOC, I was hoping to see something cool" that is just a first reaction though. Especially since it all looks good. The rock work also looks a little 'to' uniform for my taste. It all goes steep slope, less steep slope and then vines. Mix it up a bit and get creative with it. Just make it all flow. :pir-tongue:

Other than that awesome entry and I can wait to see what else you have in store for PTVII. :pir-skull:

This seems like some kind of sick joke that one of my teachers would say. This is a really clever idea and is well executed. I think you chose some great expressions for the minifigs and all the books and letters are nice! The snot water also looks fantastic.

Suggestions

-Add a palm tree in the background

-Maybe include a few sea creatures or small animals for a bit more detail

Ok I really really like this entry! The snotted water is just plain awesome! The beach look splendid too. The figs are just plain perfect and I love the use of the jester head. The biggest pluspoint of your MOC is the rock with the green plants on it. Love the use of the green flexible piece, watchamaycallit, the spiderman web thingy. I really like the half dug up treasure. It's just perfect. The only thing I would like to see is some more details like animals and such.

~Badboy

Original idea. Nice execution on such a small scale. I like the water SNOT water technique combined with the studs up beach.

A very nice entry!

I like the water and the idea behind it.

The treasure looks pretty good as well.

I have only got 2 remarks:

1: Brickbeard shaved and lost his eyepatch. :pir-tongue:

2: It would be nice if you had a stud under the treasure chest (left or right), so that the chest looks tilted and more real.

I really like the expression of the pirate in the back.

It looks like he is starring at the sea and thinking: "Why did't I learn how to read?" :pir_laugh2:

I really like this MOC because it looks cartoonish, but in an enjoyable way. I like the storyline is somewhat whimsical, and that the pirates also have a jovial and happy look to them. The water, rocks, beach, and minifig selection all seem to work together rather well. If there was an older pirate in there, or maybe something that looked more serious and sinister, I think I wouldn't like this as much. However, as it is, it look sreally cool.

As I have said with many of the MOCs submitted for the contest so far, you have made me believe the scene and storyline not through what you wrote, but through what you build and showed me.

Bravo! I think small entries are the hardest!

-martinsuper

Great story to this entry! Very original idea. I like the design of the build. It looks very clean and you have a lot of mini-figures without it looking overly crowded. The only thing I could suggest to change is maybe substituting a pen/feather for the cutlass the Captain is holding and a magnifying glass for the pistol the pirate has since these are obviously no ordinary pirates. Very nice and again great idea.

2: It would be nice if you had a stud under the treasure chest (left or right), so that the chest looks tilted and more real.

Tip two is just perfect!

Thank you everyone for your nice comments and very useful tips! I've updated my entry with some new pics including many of your suggestions :pir-classic:

The photography is a little misleading with this creation though. I mean the creation is great, but when I first look at it and see the lines and nicks in the poster board I go "Aw not a weird MOC, I was hoping to see something cool" that is just a first reaction though. Especially since it all looks good. The rock work also looks a little 'to' uniform for my taste. It all goes steep slope, less steep slope and then vines. Mix it up a bit and get creative with it. Just make it all flow. :pir-tongue:

Other than that awesome entry and I can wait to see what else you have in store for PTVII. :pir-skull:

Yeah, I'm having serious problems with my photographing :pir-cry_sad: The light just isn't enough this time of the year and my lamps isn't a satisfactory substitute. I just hope people will be able to see and judge my MOC anyway, until I can come up with a good solution to this problem.

The rock may be a little uniform but I'm still quite pleased with it and won't change it :pir-tongue: But I see your point and I usually try to mix my rocks up.

I do have something for the other categories too, especially the large one :pir-grin:

Suggestions

-Add a palm tree in the background

-Maybe include a few sea creatures or small animals for a bit more detail

Great suggestions, I've made those changes now. Unfortunately I don't have any old style palm tree pieces but it turned out OK anyway I think.

The animals got represented by two parrots, it was difficult to include anything else than birds.

I have only got 2 remarks:

1: It's not Brickbeard, it's his nephew Brickgrin :pir-tongue:

2: Good suggestion, fixed that! :thumbup:

The only thing I could suggest to change is maybe substituting a pen/feather for the cutlass the Captain is holding and a magnifying glass for the pistol the pirate has since these are obviously no ordinary pirates.

That's a good point, I didn't really reflect on that until you mentioned it. I've got rid of those nasty weapons :pir-cry_happy:

Thanks again for your help :pir-sweet:

Very nice! I like the concept of the entry and the story, and the landscape is very well done.

The only thought of improvement I have is to perhaps move the parrot in the palm tree somewhere else - maybe onto the rock formation with the other parrot, or even just a bit lower into the foliage of the tree. It just looks out of place to me, sitting right at the top.

Other than that, a very good entry! Good luck!

Brickgrin for the win! :pir_laugh2: (sorry, I just had to say that!)

I like the moral of this story... even if some of our school-attending friends won't really appreciate it. Can't wait to see what you've got cooking for the Large Division!

Now then, on to the entry itself... Looking at this one, it's pretty obvious that the tips and advices you were given did work out nicely! I love the tilted treasure chest best of all - great idea, saberwing! I would however suggest working on the palm tree's trunk - the parrot on top may like being literally on top of things, but the "base of things" just doesn't feel right to me - it is indeed a very believable thin palm structure, but having it so perfectly lined up isn't really believable. Trying to tilt those 1x1 bricks a bit might just do the trick there ;)

And I have a question I was meaning to ask when I first saw the pics... Why is Brickgrin heading for the water with that coveted letter in his hand? Has he had enough knowledge for one lifetime or his head just not working right :pir-tongue: (the latter would seem more believable, considering his grin). Please, Brickgrin, don't drown! Or at least put that letter in a bottle, so that others could revere its wisdom too!

And I have a question I was meaning to ask when I first saw the pics... Why is Brickgrin heading for the water with that coveted letter in his hand? Has he had enough knowledge for one lifetime or his head just not working right :pir-tongue: (the latter would seem more believable, considering his grin). Please, Brickgrin, don't drown! Or at least put that letter in a bottle, so that others could revere its wisdom too!

The letter is a correspondence course in "how-to-swim" and Brickgrin is eager to begin the first lesson. Don't worry, the sea is shallow and the ink is waterproof. :pir-tongue:

He'll be a great floater alright - especially with that wooden leg. Can't say that about swimming though - you know it's not a particularly good idea to go swimmin after you've been drinking, right Brickgrin? :pir_laugh2:

Oh well, the correspondence must have useful insights on that too, so I guess I really shouldn't worry :)

Nice and funny MOC. I like how you've put the treasure into the beach, it really looks like they just found it, which you can also clearly see by watching at Brickbeard's face...WAIT! That ain't BrickBEARD! Or did he shave himself????

Well, he doesn't have his Pirate Wench on his Bounty, but it looks like he now visited one of his girlfriends! I knew it all along that that eyepatch was just to look tough!