BrickPerfection

WIP: Achille and Guerrière, French Frigates of 28 guns

I announced this thread 2 days ago. Since I did make some significant changes to the design and basically didn't want to mess with the Captain's way of building such a ship in his own thread (an excellent manual :thumbup: ) I post it in here.

Major Updates have happened. Check them out:

dscn0110.jpg

1st UPDATE (STERN)

2nd UPDATE (COMPLETE REDESIGN)

3rd UPDATE (TOPDECK+CAPTAIN'S CABIN)

4th UPDATE (HULL ALMOST COMPLETED!)

5th UPDATE (BOTH SHIPS ALMOST COMPLETED!)

6th UPDATE (REBUILD OF ACHILLE AND SOME STUNNING RIGGING)

Below is the first post of the development process:

I finally got the headrails look the way I want them to :pir-cry_happy:

p1030997s.jpg

p1040003s.jpg

Note the improvements to the old version (which Admiral Croissant commented on):

p1030954s.jpg

p1030959s.jpg

I quite like the look of metallic grey guns looking out of their gunports :cannon:

p1030961s.jpg

p1040008s.jpg

The ultra-smooth gunports using 1X1 headlight bricks :pir-grin: :

p1030980s.jpg

p1030987s.jpg

The stern decorations are still a bit preliminary; the headrails even more. Mostly I intended to find out which techniques I would use for this creation, the final design will base on them.

I'll keep this thread updated as the build progresses.

Feedback is welcome! :pir-classic:

Edited by Perfectionist

Very nice ship, I love it :pir-sweet: good colourscheme, nice stern. Only the yellow headrail-things on the bow don't look so good, look at some pictures and you see what I mean. But that's just a detail, the rest is really great and I'm eager to see this with sails and crew and stuff. :thumbup:

Looking fantastic Perfectionist! The lines are beautiful. I'm currently working on a ship sort of similar to Captain Green Hair's too, but I have just discovered that I'll be needing 200 jumper plates minimum. I thought I had a heap more than I do. :pir-hmpf_bad:

But you ship is looking brilliant! Are you planning to use custom sails and rigging on this?

Nice work. You certainly managed to capture a nice curve in the design. The gun ports are a very good design.

It looks great so far! :thumbup:

I really like your headrails, though i don't see them as finished yet.

The middle one should curve a bit the other way round, like the top one. Now it looks like it bends downwards.

I'd also try and make them a little higher, i.e. the figurehead usually sticks up a bit higher then the bow.

The gunports are a great idea, though i would make the tile above across the whole hull. So that it looks like a protection beam.

At the stern there is somewhat of a gap between the galleries and actual stern, especially at the top.

I would try and close that up a bit more.

And i have a nitpick ont the red strip at the bow. It gets thicker at the bow and runs straight forward, breaking up the nice curve of the line you have along the ship. I'd definitely make that evenly wide and curve up a bit mor gradually if possible.

Those are just my thoughts, i hope it helps.

Keep it up! :thumbup:

Looking fantastic Perfectionist! The lines are beautiful. I'm currently working on a ship sort of similar to Captain Green Hair's too, but I have just discovered that I'll be needing 200 jumper plates minimum. I thought I had a heap more than I do. :pir-hmpf_bad:

But you ship is looking brilliant! Are you planning to use custom sails and rigging on this?

Hey Zuloo - I think they have those on my local PaB wall. I am just heading over there to have my weekly looksee. If they still do I'll send you a cup. PM me your address.

The ship is looking fantastic by the way! Did you just build all this since the other day? Can't wait to see it finished.

You have a great looking ship here, I really like the color scheme(Red, Black, Gold/Yellow and White is my favorite color combo)

Do you intend to be a Perfectionist while building this? :pir-tongue:

Good Job :thumbup:

Ratshot :monkey:

You know you should have made this into a scene of the ship getting commissioned, and then submitted it in Pillage the Vilage II!

Your ship looks very nice, and I'm looking forward to the updates you will make and of course to the finished product.

You clearly have a lot of talent and I always try to motivate such people to build since I just like looking at MOC ships!

Looks great already! I think I don't have that much feedback to offer after Captain Green Hair told a lot already.

I really like the coloursheme, the stern could be more detailed. A lantern would add a lot.

And the gundeck with those shiny new cannons looks awesome! Is there an interior in the ship as well?

Keep it up! :thumbup:

I like the use of tubes, I would love to use those on my HMS Unicorn, But I had to go with 1 x 2 Plates.

The whole ship is wonderful!

EDIT: Woo, 2000th Post! Joey Lock, Duke of Surrey. :thumbup:

Edited by Joey Lock

Its always great to see another french frigate sailing through the seas...

Good job so far, the only thing I dont like is the headrails. I guess I like the brickbuilt ones better.

I'm also maing one from CGH's build great stuff!

Edit: Congrats on both Cap'n Blackmoor and Joey Lock for both becoming Dukes!

I am a long ways away from that :pir-grin:

Edited by General Armendariz

Wow this is already a beauty. :pir-sweet:

As some already stated, nice Color sceme and beautyful lines.

I like the Stern most, simple but yet beautyful lines. Sorry, if i repeat mysef.

One question about the long tubes on the bow, the ones that go upwards. Are you going to cut them shorter or will the stay that way?

Well I went to Hamburg for a few days, found some nice inspirations for doing the rigging and also enjoyed the local Lego store having the 1X1 headlight bricks on their PaB wall :pir-cry_happy: , unfortunately I had no internet, so let me give some answers now.

I really like your headrails, though i don't see them as finished yet.

The middle one should curve a bit the other way round, like the top one. Now it looks like it bends downwards.

I'd also try and make them a little higher, i.e. the figurehead usually sticks up a bit higher then the bow.

The middle tube will curve the other way. It just didn't when I took the photo. :pir_laugh2:

The gunports are a great idea, though i would make the tile above across the whole hull. So that it looks like a protection beam.

I tried to model the plastic ornaments about each gunport a bit, but since the there only are 4 studs between the gunports on this design, it may not look as good as intended. I'll give your sugestion a try. :pir-classic:

At the stern there is somewhat of a gap between the galleries and actual stern, especially at the top.

I would try and close that up a bit more.

I've not yet found a completely satisfactory solution to this. I've already looked on all the MOC ships.

The galleries on the "Prince of Wales" for example do not have such a gap, but they are inclined the same way the stern is, which I tried to avoid.

I'll try something out using bars or tube for closing that gap.

And i have a nitpick ont the red strip at the bow. It gets thicker at the bow and runs straight forward, breaking up the nice curve of the line you have along the ship. I'd definitely make that evenly wide and curve up a bit mor gradually if possible.

Those are just my thoughts, i hope it helps.

This is indeed a mistake and it's one that I wasn't aware of. Fixed already. Thanks very much for noting :thumbup:

Do you intend to be a Perfectionist while building this? :pir-tongue:

Not exactly on this one, but on my PTVII entry, which is the main reason I joined this forum, hence the name :pir-classic:

You know you should have made this into a scene of the ship getting commissioned, and then submitted it in Pillage the Vilage II!

My entry will be a ship of the line put into ordinary when peace broke out. Pretty much in minifig scale. :pir-cry_happy:

Is there an interior in the ship as well?

Unfortunately the stern design doesn't allow one. But I will make the deck modular to be able to remove the guns for having closed gunports.

One question about the long tubes on the bow, the ones that go upwards. Are you going to cut them shorter or will the stay that way?

I have to cut tubes to make them fit :pir-sceptic:

Thanks for all those suggestions and feedback. Today (sunday) I got plenty of time for building, so I hopefully update pics soon.

I also ordered brown bricks for the curve just above the hull pieces to replace the reddish brown ones at Bricklink.

Best regards

Perfectionist

Very nice start you have here... I will definitely have to follow the progress of this ship... I would have to agree with CGH with the bow line being a little messed up.. but you said that you have already fixed that and that the stern is in its preliminary stages so I am guessing that it will be much more detailed. Very good job, keep it up. And I am hoping that there will be French or Spanish colors on this frigate.

If you need any help I would be happy to help if I can!

Cheers

-Admiral Bejaune

UPDATE:

I worked on the stern for a bit. This design is pretty much final. The ship's name will be placed as a sticker in the center.

p1040088s.jpg

Trying out a mast design:

p1040028s.jpg

Custom lanterns:

p1040038s.jpg

This is why there is no interior :pir-hmpf_bad: :

p1040043s.jpg

I didn't start on building the deck yet because I still wait for an order from BL containing brown bricks which will be replacing the reddish brown ones used on the hull. I'll have to take pretty much the whole ship apart for this :pir-cry_sad: , so I'll do the deck in the same step.

Edited by Perfectionist

The new stern design is great with those details. :thumbup: The lanterns are okay, maybe a bit too squarish but they look nice so far. The masts are great, I should try that out myself too. :pir-classic:

What is slighly bugging me is the straight window on the gallery while the stern is sloped.

The last minor point is to try to make the name of the ship under the windows instead of above them, it's more realistic I think.

Perhaps you can make a custom fleur de lys symbol above the windows? :pir-wub:

Succes with the build! :pir-sweet:

What is slighly bugging me is the straight window on the gallery while the stern is sloped.

The last minor point is to try to make the name of the ship under the windows instead of above them, it's more realistic I think.

ginger.jpg

Edited by Perfectionist

Have you tried the lantern design with a bigger 3 x 3 dish on top?

Have you tried the lantern design with a bigger 3 x 3 dish on top?

I originally designed it with a 3 x 3 dish, but reduced it to 2 x 2 for a ship as small as this one. It not a "perfect" solution but i think it is ok.