Help on my new ship

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic  – Started by Admiral Ron , Oct 05 2009 06:25 AM

#1 Admiral Ron

Admiral Ron
  • KABOOM!

Member: 6622

Posted 05 October 2009 - 06:25 AM

ok, so I am trying to build a ship, my first REAL ship. I was going to keep it short, maybe 2 mid sections, But whenever i try to build it, it looks all blocky and ugly, you guys can look me up on mocpages, Grand Admiral Ron, and see what I mean. My real question here is, how do you people make beautiful rounded ships?!?!? any help will be greatly appreciated
"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong." Godfrey of Ibelin, Kingdom of Heaven

Ragvald Stonesplitter, Commander of the Brave Ursurpers

#2 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:34 AM

Fist of all, welcome to Eurobricks! Enjoy your time here! :pir-classic:

I'd like to help you out, but large ships are very brick and time consuming!
Here are a lot of ships where you should take a look at to get some ideas.
I also think it is a good idea to take a look at some threads here with ships in progress. I'm sure you will like this threadas well. Eurobricks best ship builder explains everything.
Here is my ship where I'm working on. Perhaps it might be handy.

I hope this might help! Otherwise, just ask. :pir_laugh2:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#3 Admiral Ron

Admiral Ron
  • KABOOM!

Member: 6622

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:55 PM

Thanks for all the help sir! It is really appreciated! But that frigate tutorial is made for something bigger, can it be reduced to 2 mid sections? and that ship doesnt do an interior, which I seem to think is really important. But i do see that in that tutrorial, there are many things I can do to improve my ships, again, Thanks a ton!
"Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong." Godfrey of Ibelin, Kingdom of Heaven

Ragvald Stonesplitter, Commander of the Brave Ursurpers

#4 Imperial Shipyards

Imperial Shipyards
  • Master frigate builder!

Member: 7496

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:14 PM

If you want to build a realistic looking ship with the standard Lego hull sections, its actually quite useless to add much interior since either the deck would be too low or the outward apeareance would suffer. Also you have to consider the sails and rigging which make a modular design in this size complicated.
The only solution would be a small sloop without a closed deck, but then its not really "interior", is it?

A less realistic design - like the official sets- can of course feature a rich interior and much playability, but it will always look like a toy, rather than a mighty man o'war  :pir_laugh2:

I would suggest to use at least 3 mid sections since the lenght at the waterline should be about 3.5 to 4 times as long as the maximum width.
If you prefer a very small design, you might want to use the smaller hull pieces, like in the imperial flagship or the armada lagship.
The parts you need can best be bought at bricklink.com. Its quite expensive, but you get simply EVERYTHING.

Hope this helps.  :pir-classic:

Posted ImagePosted Image_Posted Image_Posted ImagePosted Image

INDEX: Historic Ships, Replicas, Figureheads and Models

"The better is the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

flickr

#5 Joey Lock

Joey Lock
  • Captain Blue Hair drives a pink scooter!

Member: 1823

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:43 PM

Welcome to Eurobricks as Blackmoor said.

If you really want to make a good looking ship, You need money. At least £50-100. But if you want a Original "Lego set" looking ship, then you only need about £50. Because I have spent £360 on my HMS Unicorn MOC, One of the biggest non-scale ships in the Lego Caribbean. And I used 12 mid-sections for it. So increasing the build by 3-4 Mid-sections won't be such a bad thing. But if you do not really want to buy anything more, then Im afraid It won't turn out too well without research.  :thumbup:

Posted Image

God save the gracious King,
Long live the noble King,
God save the King:
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King.

Posted Image

#6 Admiral M

Admiral M
  • Captain Blue Hair is the best!

Member: 4862

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

Well, you've got a good ship to start. I agree with Joey that you might need more money to build a better ship. Anyway, no one person can tell you the secrets to making a better ship, but I think that you need to start small and get bigger. Another good thing is to slope the sides of your ship, and also to make the lines smooth. But you did do good for being relatively new.

Welcome to the forums!
Admiral Michael, Commander of the British Northeastern Fleet, Governor of Port St. Brick

My LDD Navy:
HMS Panther-16 guns
HMS Monarch-10 guns
HMS Colossus-40+ guns
HMS Conquest-32 guns

go to my Brickshelf

and all in the name of the brick...

#7 Captain Genaro

Captain Genaro
  • Has issues taking Presidents.

Member: 6844

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:59 AM

It can be hard to build your first ship, trust me :pir-hmpf_bad: . To help with the designing prosses, I used a program called LDD. Using Lego elements you can create anything you want. I used Bricklink to buy the parts at a good price. I would try using a brickbuilt hull if you only want for your ship to be 2 sections long since the hull parts are too wide. For my first ship, I looked at a lot of other ships took some of there ideas looked at real ships and used them as an example and just built it. I hope this helps and welcome to Eurobricks :pir-classic:

WIP Brig of War

Giovanni Capanni, a problem-eliminating hitman in CMF Mafia 2
Chlodochar, a LOYAL warrior in Ragnarök Now Redux
Thomas, an INNOCENT fish-watcher aboard the Pearl.
Ginny, a TOWNIE jockey in Heartlake Heartbreak!.
Gerrid, a SCUM Servant of Loki in Ragnarök Now
Frankie Daly, a mostly LOYAL deckhand in Red Scare Mystery
Gen, a TOWNIE bum in Eurodina
Geoffrey Oult, an Honorable soldier in Imperial Soldiers Mafia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links