Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOC: Haunted Mansion Vignette

I had the privilege of visiting Disneyland California a few weeks ago and was lucky enough to pick up a few collectibles of the Haunted Mansion, which is celebrating its 40th Anniversary this year.

One of the pieces was a sculpture of the Hitchhiking Ghosts that appear towards the end of the ride.

I got busy today, breaking out a number of LEGO sets from the garage to build this creation in honor of the 40th Anniversary (the Haunted House has always been one of my favorite rides).

While the ghosts aren't the best, I tried to make each unique in their own way.

The lights do work, and the Haunted Mansion logo is a custom decal that is inset by two sideways 1x1x6 arches - although almost impossible to see in the photo due to the dark light. I'll share some more pictures tomorrow, but here's the creation which took me most of the day:

hauntedmansionfinal.jpg

Hello!

Although I am not familiar with the story itself, the vignette looks fantastic. It's nice to see there are some old yellow 4.5V cubes still in use. :classic: It's also a great photo as it's not easy to get good photos from dark bricks and even taking the photo in the dark.

Regards,

~ Christopher

Edited by Legostein

Nice and creepy MOC :thumbup: I visited Haunted Mansion in Disneyland Paris some years ago when I was younger and I can say it was my favourite ride too :wink:

Grim grinning ghosts come out to socialize

Great MOC. Love the ride, love this. Although not the est representation of the hitch-hikers, but hey, you don't see Haunted Mansion MOCs in the first place ^^

PS: If we are going onto a sort of "Disneyland" topic, why not try a go at Frontierland? I would like to see a Big Thunder Mountain or a Shooting Gallery? Think of all the possibilities for hiding any Gravestone items :sweet:

Although I'm not familiar with the story I really :wub: this your vignette, TheBrickster!

The minifigs look very well designed.

But even more than the minifigs I like the little scenery. It reminds me - supposably because of its colors - of the Graveyard Duel from the HP theme. The light bricks are a great addition.

Very well done! :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks for the feedback guys!

For a while there, I didn't think anyone was going to respond to this little vignette.

The creation was inspired from this scuplture, that I was very happy to find in Disney:

hitchhikngghosts.jpg

And this is what the real thing looks like (in LEGO that is):

hauntedmansionraw.jpg

Overall, I think the MOC is just okay. The brick walls need overhauling and I'd like to open the backside up (at least in one of the walls and perhaps hang a skeleton or create a secret compartment). I had trouble finding minifigs for the ghosts and ended up with those pictured. The middle ghost is actually meant to be the Hatbox Ghost which is a different character completely (for those of you who who are familiar with the Haunted Mansion.

Here's a shot of him, from a Disney artist known as Shag:

shaghatboxghost.jpg

Some of you may also recognize a similar fig known as the Card Creeper in my Grave Stone story:

decrepitbank.jpg

In any case, thanks again for the feedback. This one still needs work, but I suppose it's a good creation to kick off some Halloween fun.

I think it turned out great. The dark picture works out perfectly.

Have you ever thought of charging the green head with a blacklight and then taking the dark picture with the head glowing? I think that would make it look even better.