Sign in to follow this  
legosasoperative

Pirates Air-Band

3983319672_61877cd563.jpg

What pirates do in their time off..ROCK!

I couldn't upload the pic because when I tried to upload it it said it was too big. Can someone please show me how to upload pics, I use a Mac.

Updated entry

Sorry Sly Owl somehow I managed to delete the photo you got up here.

No problem ;-)

Edited by SlyOwl

WOW this is very different from all the other entries! I like it! I like it a lot! I absolutely adore the use of the fish for guitars. And the drums look awesome too. There are some minor points of improvement though:

- I don't like the floor they are standing on. It's to much a mix of piece; plates, tiles, roof pieces... I think it would benefit the moc if you were to change the stage.

- Together the figs look piratey, but the fig on the right doesn't look like a pirate at all, can't see his torso, it's either a plane black one or it's the blacksmiths torso from the medievel marcket. It would look better if you gave him a tipical pirate hat.

That's all

~Badboy

I like your entry! I am kind of embarassed because the moc I am currently building for the contest uses the same concept... I hope you don't mind if I post it anyway...

I like how you used different objects to make "musical instruments". It is hard to build new realistic minifig-sized acessories with existing pieces, and you found an innovative solution!

This MOC has a very unique concept -- pirates playing Musical FISH-ical instruments! Quite clever.

I agree with BadBoytje, I think that you should rebuild the entire stage. Maybe use a large <insert that tiresome argument> base plate or brick (possibly something like this), then add plates on the top of it.

Also, I've noticed that the middle balcony-railing brick in the back of the MOC is a different color than the rest. I suggest replacing it with a railing brick the same color as the rest.

Edited by Bricknave

Hehe - this was certainly not something I expected when PTVII was announced - One of my favourite ideas so far in this contest.

I must say however, that I disagree with your choice of minifigs. I think it would be much better if you had regular pirates instead of especially the leadsinger.

I know that you placed the minifigs they way you did to create "action" but I think it's important that you can see them all, and at this point, the minifig on the far left is hidden behind his "fish-guitar" and you can't see the drummer very well either - I'd definitely change that if I were you.

Another thing that I think would improve your entry is the stage floor. There's too much going on. I think it would look better if it was a large plate, and if you have enough tiles, I'd suggest you tile the whole stage. If not, you could try to tile most of the stage and then make room for studs to place your minifigs on so they won't fall off the stage due to slippery tiled floor :pir-blush:

I love your drumset! Very clever And I love the idea of using fish. I don't think you should change that at all.

EDIT: Whoops looks like I forgot something :pir_wacko: :

Welcome to EB! :pir-classic:

Cute and funny!

The Fish as guitars, the goblet as a microphone and lastly the shako as a drum [it fits well surprisingly!] are all very clever and "pirate-y"alternatives.

The facial expressions and looks are nice for rockers, but they don't seem "pirate-y" enough. I can see the left guitarist [and the drummer, but that's a stretch], but I'd like to see some pirate hats or something that really shows that they're pirates for the others. The facial expressions of the singer and right guitarist are nice.

The monkey and the parrot in the back are nice touches. Maybe you could use some These rounded gates in the back? The back seems to just splurge out to the sides right now. keep the animals though, I like them. :pir_laugh2:

A tan round 2x2 tile would look better for the drums I feel, if you have any.

I like the rickety look of the stage, but then again it looks awfully thrown together. If you could keep some of the unevenness yet have some different layers so that the drummer in the back would be higher and etc, I think that would work really nice and create some dynamics.

A unique entry, and it's really well done, I like it.

Good luck!

[-TA-]

Edited by The Alchemyst

In the topic which announced this competition there was a link with tutorials on how to uplode and size down your pic. Why haven't you read that?

Here's the link:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=19193

Hope it helps. If it doesn't help, you could always contact one of our fine moderators. Their names are:

Erdbeereis

SlyOwl

Hope I helped a little bit, good luck with your entry.

~Badboy

I also agree that there is one thing that could make this wonderful little vig look much more piratey - changing their faces. The lead singer could really use an eyepatch or a wooden leg for credibility... And the stage floor is also a bit too full- have you tried to make this look as if it was taking place on a ship? That's the notion I get from the railing in the background, but still I feel that you could improve on this.

Overall, I love the concept - AND the way you've made all those details work, from the goblet to the hat. And the sepia hue is a nice touch too. However... that MUST be one stinkin' rock band, what with all those dead fish around :pir_laugh2:

Yay! The pirates look like Pirates now.

The singer doesn't, but I guess that's fine.

I'm liking the details such as the the rat and the dead Soldier.

The alternating brown walkway is really great, and has the feeling of a concert.

What would really let this come alive is a bunch of cheering Pirate Fans near the walkway trying to touch the singer. :pir-tongue:

I'm liking the photography too. I like the sort of old and dim tone going on. It's really nice and fitting.

Since it seems you've already gone past the 8x8 restrictions for a small entry, why not extend the sides to add some detail of a ship of some sorts? Or a port even.

Anyway, I'm liking this entry a lot. The pro photography is definitely nice :thumbup: .

Good luck!

[-TA-]

I love your updated entry! In my opinion this entry can compete with the best entries when the competition is over - good job!

Very well done. The only thing I still miss is a more piratey-looking lead-singer but you've already told us that you can't do that, and we are only here to give you advice, not tell you what to do :pir-blush:

Excellent MOC - my favourite part now, is the dead soldier under the stage

Any MOC that makes me laugh as soon as I see it is a good one!

I like the dead imperial, nice touch for rocking pirates. I really like the two-toned dock and the fish for air guitars. The top hat on the lead singer reminds me a lot of Aerosmith and ZZ Top, so a very nice rock touch.

The only thing I would change is the color of the water to a more blue color.

Very cool! Rock OUT!

-martinsuper