indexed.gif

6062 - Battering Ram

Released: 1987

Pieces: 233

Minifigs: 6

Price (according to peeron.com) $19.95

6062-battering-ram-lego.jpg

The review:

This set brings back a lot of memories for me. I was only 7 years old when it was released. It was one of my first "big" sets, and I must have been ready to start building sets this size. I can't remember how difficult it was to build for me, but I guess my older sister helped me build it the first couple of times. Even today she loves to build LEGO sets with her son. She says it's relaxing and comforting. That's how I feel about it to, also when I play with LEGO with my little daughter.

The manual:

manual-1.jpg

Random page:

manual-2.jpg

As you can see, the small castle wall is placed on top of a bunch of green plates. Even today, at 29, it caused me some trouble, laying them out properly...

They must be laid out like this:

green-base.jpg

Well... the actual build is quite demanding, and that's why I think my older sister must have helped me back when I was only 7... But IMO a build that is a bit difficult is much more pleasing than an easy build, so this is actually a good thing.

Let's take a look at the many different bricks and pieces:

Here you have the piles of grey and black bricks along with the green plates:

piles-of-bricks.jpg

Interesting pieces include: Arches, hinges, a black door, four brown wheels and two grey technic bricks.

pieces_1.jpg

pieces_2.jpg

The two technic bricks makes it possible to attach the castle wall to other castles in your LEGO collection. This adds heavily to the playability of this set.

Because this set has 6 minifigs, you automatically get a lot of accessories:

acc.jpg

This set is no exception... you get a bunch of walls:

walls.jpg

Here are the 6 minifigs. Even though they are not as detailed as today's minifigs, they are definitely still a joy to behold.

First, the Lions: (they are the ones on the Battering Ram)

lions.jpg

The Black Falcons (they protect the castle wall)

black-falcons.jpg

It is not every day that you can show the back of a Classic minifig, and still find anything of interest. But here is an exception:

minifigs-back.jpg

Let's take a look at the black battering ram:

First off, here's the base of the ram. Later, a large hammer-like device is attached to this base, and I'll show you via the pictures how this is done:

ram-base.jpg

ram-base2.jpg

hammer-thing.jpg

ram-w-hammer.jpg

The ram is almost ready - we just need to build the large platform on top of the base, and this is how it turns out:

ram-side-1.jpg

ram-side-2.jpg

Front view: (The Black Falcons won't know what hit them)

ram-front.jpg

Back view:

ram-back.jpg

Top view:

ram-top.jpg

This is the defense post. A grey castle wall which can be folded in different angles because of the hinges that are built inside the wall.

Front view:

front.jpg

Front folded:

front-folded.jpg

Side folded:

side-folded.jpg

Back:

back.jpg

Back folded:

back-folded.jpg

Top view:

top-view.jpg

The bottom without the green plates. If you want to place this wall on a larger base plate, you can't fold the walls anymmore, and that's why the wall is placed on top of numerous plates.

underneath.jpg

Top front:

top-front.jpg

Verdict:

Playability:

10/10 - 6 minifigs, a small castle, a battering ram and the possibility to use the castle wall along with other castles in your collection makes me give this set a 10. Great set! It's easy to MOD this set because of all the bricks you get.

Design:

9/10 - Of course, today a set like this would look better, but back in 1987 this was top-notch. The only thing that is a bit annoying is the fact that the large hammer-like-thing falls of the ram if you are too careless. But the look of this set is excellent, and the opportunity to fold the wall is great.

Pieces:

8/10 - Nothing special here. but you can build hundreds of things with all the bricks. I remember doing so myself.

Price:

9/10 - I bet a set with 6 minifigs would be much moer expensive today... or you would even get 6 minifigs in a set with "only" 233 pieces. LEGO has gone downhill since the 80's if we are talking prices and minifig-count in sets.

Thanks for the review Lorentzen!

I think this is a great set for the price. It has a good selection of minifigures, a simple yet effective wall, and a nice siege engine. Is the headlight brick above the door meant for a shield?

By the way, it looks like the gate segment in your set should be moved back one stud at the hinges by the tower, to eliminate the gap.

Thanks for the review, you've done a great old set justice. It's a great sent and the fact that it's achieved with common parts rather than hard to get ones makes it even better.

I think you're being unfair on the price point though, inflation means the set would could alot more than $20 today rather than anything Lego has done.

Wasn't the modularity of those mid 80s' sets great?

Yet step 1 was really challenging. Today's children (who need numbered bags and piece call-out on very step) would have probably thrown this set away without even getting to step 2.

@The Cobra: Haha - yeah. That's why I said that even at age 29 I had difficulties building this.

I loved the modularity options back in the 80s

@SirDillon: You're right. I actually did assemble this set wrong - I'll try to find the time to rebuild it and take new pictures to upload :classic:

@Cardinal Brick: Yeah... I guess you're right. I forgot about inflation, but I do believe that 6 minifigs in a set this size is almost impossible to find these days.

Edited by Lorentzen

Now thats a classic set that I wish I had and must now get for sure! Its just perfect; tons of playability with an objective and six minifigs to play with. :pirate:

Wow, thanks for the memories. This was my first castle set. I am the same age as you so I must have been around 7 too. I can still vividly remember buying this at K-mart with my paper route money. :tongue:

Anyway, I probably still have it downstairs in my tub o' old castle. You've isnpired me to go and build it again.

Since this thread has been bumped now anyway, I might as well add that I think this is a fantastic set and would love to see a modern version of it. This set shows that you don't necessarily need a huge set with tons of pieces to make something good, it's all about making the pieces count.

Sure, the concept (defensive wall structure with attacking siege machine) has been copied almost to death (these days usually receiving a flick fire attack wagon), but they rarely manage to even approach this one in quality.

And to think, 6 of those magnificent shields in one, small-ish sized set... wow!

Edited by Hive

True...in addition this Falcon sets are my favorite, the 6 minifigures in this set is just awesome. This is my next catch hopefully this week..

This can be attached to 6074/10039. In order to connect to any of the "big" castles you need at least one point of articulation, ie. hinges. This set has 2 so fits in quite easily, the companion siege tower set will also fit in but The Guarded Inn, Armour Shop and Blacksmith all need to be accompanied by at least one of the two hinged wall sets before they can be attached into a castle.

I said this once before, im not a big fan of castle but this set and the [wizards castle which I have] would be one of the only castle sets id get. Also I need help figuring out what set a torso came out of. its greyish-blueish and it has a square-oval shaped thing in the middle with silver dots and its line are colored gold. the face it came with has white eyes that are also black make the circle and has black strings of air going down on the face oh and the face is beige not yellow,tan, or a mace window face. I got rom a garage sale in a 1988 red Lego carrier box that had pieces from the first republic gunship, glen pieces that when you put together make a circle, and some broken pieces that made a tower. please help me thank you!

ohhh - love it!

This was one of my first sets i have become as an child!

Falcons 4ever :classic: .

Thanks very much for this "retro" review!

markus

Vintage, did you get the set new? It looks pristine.

*drools*

Vintage, did you get the set new? It looks pristine.

*drools*

If you mean mine set,,it is not new but like new. Everything is prefect...i will make another thread soon illustrating more close-Up photos...:)

If you mean mine set,,it is not new but like new. Everything is prefect...i will make another thread soon illustrating more close-Up photos...:)

Yeah I meant yours, I was too lazy to type out your name in its' entirety. Sorry. :p

Well, it looks stellar for sure! And those shields... lovely!

Yeah I meant yours, I was too lazy to type out your name in its' entirety. Sorry. :p

Well, it looks stellar for sure! And those shields... lovely!

Lool..no problem.

Yes..well I can consider this as new. So nice and shinny.

Thanks mate

Oh man, I would love to get my hands on some of these old school minifigures :wub:.