Year: 2009

Pieces: 155

Minifigs: 2

Price: $16.99 USD

Resources:

BrickLink BrickShelf Brickset Peeron

Presenting the Camper!

7639-1.jpg

LEGO has done Camper's before so it wasn't like they were venturing into the unknown. However the most recent one before the 2009 one is the 1992 Surf & Sail Camper. However I do not own that one. So sadly no comparison photos.

6351-1.jpg

Section 1: Instructions

camper1.jpg

Here we have the instruction booklet. Showing some of the sets cool features like the bike and surfboard.

camper011.jpg

Not so random instruction page. I have chosen this page because it shows that the set is modular like it says on the box. There were two bags, one for the base of the camper and one for the top half. The build was quite easy because of this. You can also see that the hinge brick connecting the back so that you can open it up. (more on that feature later on)

Section 2: Figures and Accessories

camper3.jpg

This set has some of the best city figs I have seen in a while. T he first figure is the male (obviously) and he has a cool little hair cut. His shirt is very classic and one of my favorite torsos ever. :wub:

camper4.jpg

The second fig I like very much. LEGO in this set has the 1:1 ratio of male and female figs :grin: She has a really cool torso that I haven't seen before. I also love the new hairpiece. :oh:

fish.jpg

Our first accessories are the new fish part (which I simply love) as I don't think there has ever been a proper one besides the ornamental ninja fish. The grill part is simple and captures the grill feel easily.

camper6.jpg

Our next part is really awesome. The classic red bike :wub: Wish we see more of these in different colors

camper7.jpg

Our male fig not to be left out has brought along his surfboard. Not a windsurfing board just a surfboard with a hole in it :tongue:

Section 3: The model

camper004.jpg

Here is the finished Camper from a side angle. It is very nice. The lime green color scheme is a nice touch.

camper9.jpg

Front view of the camper, 6 bricks wide. The palm tree sticker is cool however I would have liked a printed part but oh well. The license plate is the set number but I don't know what the "HL" is, do you?

camper006.jpg

Rear view of the camper. Again we have some nice details. The ladder allows you to access the roof so you can store the the surfboard and bike or anything you want like a kayak. The lighting fixture on the top means you can hang out and roast on the BBQ in the night. Also it holds the opening part together so it doesn't swing around.

camper007.jpg

The camper opened up. A huge feature of the set is that the back opens up. This is really sweet. The camper can sit 3 people!! :oh3::tongue: Two red cups and a pan for cooking and eating.

camperopen2.jpg

Here is another view. A pizza doesn't fit on the table but you can hold your cup on it so be grateful for that :laugh:

campersleepin.jpg

The instructions show where the minifigs sleep. One can sleep on the top area which has a nice open space and is really clever. The male has to sleep on the hard table and chairs though, yeah roughing it!! :laugh:

campertv.jpg

Finally there is the TV screen (sticker) which you can not see in any of my pictures. It is attached on one of the opening sides.

They are watching the NEWS, and I thought people went on vacation to relax :tongue:

Section 4: All together and wrap up

camper012.jpg

The camper with everything on it. Come on lets head of for a weekend in the great outdoors and open country. :sweet:

camper001.jpg

Our female fig has brought along here riding bicycle for a peaceful ride through the forest. Hope she has tires with good tread as there are no marked trails or riding paths . :tongue:

campersurfin.jpg

Our male here is a first time surfer who has never surfed before but likes wearing that shirt because it makes him look cool. However he didn't expect to encounter any freshwater sharks on the lake. :tongue:

camperfishin.jpg

After experiencing some relaxing country actives, our surfer dude has managed to catch a huge fish for dinner!!

camper003.jpg

Here our surfer and his wife are cooking the fish on the BBQ. In the country there is no campgrounds with preexisting BBQs so they have brought their own portable one.

camper014.jpg

However even in the remote country you can not escape from the fire crew :tongue:

"Sorry no use of heating devices that can cause forest fires in this area"

Review Wrap up

Playability: 9/10 (the great accessories along with the camper being able to open up are nice)

Design: 9/10 (very good overall, the only thing that bothered me was placement of TV)

Price: 8/10 (solid reasonable price)

Parts:9/10 (bike, surfboard and a fish!)

Minifigures: 10/10 (these figs are perfect, 1:1 ratio and both have great details)

Overall:9/10 (excellent set)

LEGO has done another camper, the last one was just about 17 years ago. Imagine if we waited that long for a new fire station :grin::hmpf: I would say they were long overdue for something along these lines. We definitely need to see civilian sets, I think LEGO can expand this sub theme and make more camping sets like cabins and boats. This set is a really great buy and I would recommend it to just about everybody. Great change from fire and police trucks and vehicles, hope to see more sets like this in the future.

Edited by TheBrickster

Amazing reveiw! good job, I especially loved the firefighter pic, you had me laughing on that one. :tongue:

Edited by Mocha

Great review. To bad i can't say the same about the Camper. :sceptic:

My main gripe is with the interior. I understand that there isn't much interior room, but i think that could have been fixed with the overall design. I think having the camper (and i know i'm going to get flamed for saying this) either 7 or 8 wide to open up the interior. I do like the little bed above the cab though. I think that piece was used well. The opening sides are a waste of space and look horrible. The over all camperjust lacks the nessasary details that make a camper a camper.

Nice review, and very nice set. In my opinion, it's pretty good design, decent colour scheme and good minifig ratio.

The opening system is quite odd, I'd have to see how strong it holds to judge it.

The opening system is quite odd, I'd have to see how strong it holds to judge it.

It IS odd! It uses the old 2 1x2 brick hinge I haven't seen in years...

And although it does work, it isn't that strong. Mind you, after building it, you're hardly going to play with it that much...

The second fig I like very much. LEGO in this set has the 1:1 ratio of male and female figs :grin: She has a really cool torso that I haven't seen before. I also love the new hairpiece. :oh:

She's a babe. I think I'll get this set just so I can have a hottie in my town! :wub:

Here is another view. A pizza doesn't fit on the table but you can hold your cup on it so be grateful for that :laugh:

Looks like room to make the table bigger - or does the seat then get in the way of the TV? Is there enough headroom to raise the floor up and make it all level? Could do a much better layout then...

They are watching the NEWS, and I thought people went on vacation to relax :tongue:

Could be the travel or the weather... :tongue:

Another great review!

Cheers

Rog

Thanks for the excellent review.

The letters on the license plate are the model designer's initials.

Thanks for the excellent review.

The letters on the license plate are the model designer's initials.

Please do not bump a 3 year old topic to only say good review. Bumping is fine if you bring new conversation to the thread, but in this case you did not.

Thanks

Please do not bump a 3 year old topic to only say good review. Bumping is fine if you bring new conversation to the thread, but in this case you did not.

Thanks

maybe this is obvious to everyone else... but why?

Thanks

Hi, perhaps you should read my post a little more carefully? The reviewer asks in the review what the letters on the license plate stand for and I was answering their question. I just said nice review to be polite.

Good review. I own and love that set.

However, as a nitpick, I dislike it when the reviewer adds in pieces that are not in the set (the tree and the fishing pole for example).