scruffulous

TTCE: Fixed Wheel Open Wagon (Tarped)

ENTERED

This is my entry for Category 2. It's a tarped GY wagon.

3949819443_c57002f31d_o.jpg

In the mid 1970s, block grain trains of these "Hansa" yellow GYs were commonplace in central Victoria, Australia. As a kid I spent many summers walking along the tracks that ran through the small town of Korong Vale collecting wheat that had spilled out of these wagons.

I'm interested to see how people feel about my use of the folded Indiana Jones Jungle Duel tent as a tarp. I think it works well, although the holes are annoying. I tried heaps of alternatives before settling on the fishing rod as the lever handbrake...I ended up sticking with it because it actually functions as a handbrake.

Grrr! You bloody train guys and your awesome unbeatable MOCs... :hmpf_bad:

Good job! I've never actually seen these cars, but I'm sure this MOC is just as realistic as the actual thing. Were these owned by V-line or another railway?

Nice job :thumbup:

The tent looks fine by me. I don't think you have a lot of other good options.

I actually think the fishing gear is a very good idea.

Do the doors on the side actually open ?

Were these owned by V-line or another railway?

These were owned by the Victorian Railways. The tarps had -VR- stencilled along them. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get -VR- on the tent canvas in a way that is not permanent.

Do the doors on the side actually open ?

Sorry, the doors don't open. I've added a few more pics of the wagon without the tarp to my Flickr photostream.

Make sure you check out Classic.Town-net tomorrow morning. :wink:

Thanks!

Wow that's a sweet looking wagon. The main critisism is it looks so good I want to copy it, but one wouldn't be enough I would need a string of them.

The brake looks a bit fiddly and fragile, fine for a photographed MOC but rolling stock should be rolled. The tent works very well. Nice work, very nice.

The main critisism is it looks so good I want to copy it, but one wouldn't be enough I would need a string of them.

I also felt the urge to make a rake of them, but my small collection limits me to three....not quite enough to look impressive. Perhaps a collaborative effort could get enough together (Brickvention 2010 perhaps?). Of course we would also need a VR loco to pull them...

The brake looks a bit fiddly and fragile, fine for a photographed MOC but rolling stock should be rolled.

The brake is surprisingly stable and I don't think it would pose a problem while rolling. I don't have a permanent layout, but I'll check it out next time I set up a loop.

I also felt the urge to make a rake of them, but my small collection limits me to three....not quite enough to look impressive. Perhaps a collaborative effort could get enough together (Brickvention 2010 perhaps?). Of course we would also need a VR loco to pull them...

Not necessaruly...pe668 and myself have 2 NR Class locos between us that we plan to take to Brickvention, NR103 and NR75. Ok, wrong railway, but same country. :classic:

And may I suggest that you check out ANZFOL for more relavent info on Brickvention 2010. :wink:

Teunis, one of the members of M>LTC (Melbourne Lego Train Club) has a B and and an S class in VRlivery. So far they are both static but I think he is trying to get them motorised. I'm sure they will be at Brickvention as we (M>LTC) will be taking a layout. If you bring a rake of these we'd love to give them a run :-)

You can find Teunis' Brickshelf folder here

I'm familiar with this style on UK roads. Delightful details and striking color. The brake step in particular catches my eye.

Would it be prototypical to show a minifig pulling up a corner of the tarp inspecting the wheat inside?

- BMW

These were owned by the Victorian Railways. The tarps had -VR- stencilled along them. I'm still trying to figure out how I can get -VR- on the tent canvas in a way that is not permanent.

I've read stuff in the pirate forums on how to make reproduction lego sails, perhaps you could use those techniques to make tarps, then you could permanently print the VR logo on them with no harm to your tent. Us train types have a reputation for not so pure purity anyway :classic: