HoMa

TTCE: Swiss Crocodile (Power Functions)

ENTERED

TTCE-cat2-Swiss-Crocodile.jpg

As category 2 entry I post this MOC of a BE 6/8, a so called Swiss Crocodile. This model uses Power Functions (1x rechargeable battery box, 1x reciever, 2x medium motor). The wheels are from Emerald Night, the first and last wheel is a medium sized Big Ben Bricks train wheel.

The engine is build in brown except the grill 1x2 bricks which are reddisch brown.

See some more pictures and a little video sequence at my Flickr website: Swiss Crocodile at Flickr

Some more information about the real engine (in German only):

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_Krokodil

http://www.bahnbilder.de/name/galerie/kate...oks~Be+6~8.html

Enjoy,

Holger

Hi Holger, this is also a nice entry.

I have a question about the colour; I've only seen photo's of green Swiss crocodiles. Did they also come in other colours? I've seen lego models in grey, red, yellow and blue but I'm not sure if thats because dark green bricks are rare and the modelers made a compromise, or if the real prototypes exsisted in a range of colours, or had different liveries over time.

I have a question about the colour; I've only seen photo's of green Swiss crocodiles. Did they also come in other colours? I've seen lego models in grey, red, yellow and blue but I'm not sure if thats because dark green bricks are rare and the modelers made a compromise, or if the real prototypes exsisted in a range of colours, or had different liveries over time.

ce-68-320106.jpg

Image source at bahnbilder.de

The Swiss Crocodiles (Be 6/8 and Ce 6/8 ... I don't know the differences very well) came in dark green and brown in real life. Märklin wanted to paint one in black with red wheels and rods like a German Steamer recently but that didn't work out. Only a model will be available for the Märklin Insider Club.

In other countries like Austria and Germany "crocodile like" engines where used. The Austrians came in red, similar to the LEGO set 4551. In Germany - as far as I know - "crocodile like" engines came in dark green.

Holger

Holger, you are such a talented builder. :thumbup:

I have seen and admired many of your former creations, and really dig your crocodile.

Hope you will post more stuff here on eurobricks. :tongue:

Crocks are always so much fun to watch run... the clean efficiency of electric with siderods. What I like best about this model are the snotted grey boat slides representing gears, and the use of revolvers to get the tapered ends of the pantographs. Do you have a closeup of the pantograph?

- BMW

Yet another great HoMa creation here. It was finding your BigBoy creation that actually got me interested in Lego steamers last year. Not sure when I will be able to build a model quite like that though.

Since my first MOC train is also powerd by power functions I am always interested in seeing how people find new ways to mount the motors, do the gearing and hide the huge pile of electronics required. You did a great job with that here. I also really like the texturing and the proportions. :thumbup:

Edited by missouri_bb63