Sign in to follow this  
Matt Dawson

8028 TIE Fighter freebie review

indexed.gif

Here's my first review - let's hope it makes front page!

I got my Daily Mirror from Sainsburys, walked round to Toys 'R' Us and gues what I got...A CHROME Darth Vader as well ("we've got some of these left over" said the assistant!)

Theme: Star Wars (ROTJ)

No of pieces: 46 (with 2 spare); 47 (with 3 spare) if you get the 9th blue grill piece - see below)

Release Date: 2009

RRP when released: Free (promotional set); 45p if you but the paper just for the set

3895411013_1d506ee0ce.jpg

Here's a photo of all the parts; 14 each for the wings and 16 for the 'body':

3895419223_3ea146818b.jpg

The Instructions:

3896198810_dd9dfc1b15.jpg

3896199582_65c27552a2.jpg

Starting Construction:

3895420007_dc5bbd9d8f.jpg

Here's the main parts:

3895413497_7a509ed55e.jpg

Completed Model

3895412713_9555880028.jpg

side:

3895529169_08afa16233.jpg

rear:

3895528451_6a645d7eec.jpg

top:

3895527771_dd75ee5e52.jpg

And the spares (though I think the blue grill isn't a spare unless I've lost it - could someone confirm?):

3896197976_341c0be299.jpg

It's a nice little set, and certainly a very detailed one. Very simple constuction once you've completed the parts - as you can see the main parts are the body and the two wings.

And for 45p you can't complain (whoever does should remove themselves from this forum immediately!). Here's waiting for tomorrows!

Edited by KimT

Thanks for the review Matt, though you're missing some shots of the completed model!

As for the set, it's a nice little version of the TIE fighter and a steal at 45p! However I'm going to give this one a miss today; I prefer the minifigs and parts available with the other sets so will stick to collecting those.

STAP tomorrow - yey!

Thanks for the review Matt, though you're missing some shots of the completed model!

As for the set, it's a nice little version of the TIE fighter and a steal at 45p! However I'm going to give this one a miss today; I prefer the minifigs and parts available with the other sets so will stick to collecting those.

I knew I was missing something...but I think it's worht 45p just for some of the parts - I mean, there's 4 technic plates in the set - 2 2x4 in black and 2 2x8 in black...how often do you find these?

Edited by Matt Dawson

Nice review :thumbup:

I really like this little set- was umming and ahhing about wether to make the trip into town to pick it up- im glad i did.

Though Smiths had run out of Daily Mirrors for the day by 10 o'clock (and they only open at 9!)- luckily found a news agent that still had the paper in- then went to pick up the set- though they insisted on taking out the voucher from the paper today.

Some nice parts for only 45p- also looking forward to the STAP tomorrow- this is such a great promo :classic:

Edited by smokebelch

I'm suprised no-one's noticed this, but there looks to be two types of 2x2 circular plate with technic axle hole in the centre. And the difference seems to be in the colour. Newer type for the grey and older type for the blue.

Another great promo set today, the model does not impress me that much...

But it does have an excellent assortment of intresting parts for 45p. And to top that off I got a Clone Walker with each paper I bought aswell.

I'm suprised no-one's noticed this, but there looks to be two types of 2x2 circular plate with technic axle hole in the centre. And the difference seems to be in the colour. Newer type for the grey and older type for the blue.

I have all the Newer Type in my set.

Thanks for the rapid review !

Actually, this set isn't new - it was released in 2008 I believe, and there have been a few on eBay ever since. I'm not sure if it's ever been available in the UK before, however.

Doesn't change the fact that it's a nice little set, and an absolute steal at 45 pence !

Cheers,

Dr. D.

Nice review Matt! Nice to see a fellow Silhillian on the site (don't suppose you're also a Villa fan? :grin:)

Back on topic, I went to my local WHSmith today to pick up the Mirror and got given Saturday's 30005 instead of this. I'm going to send off by post anyway, not complaining, could do with more Stormies. :classic:

Rufus

Nice review Matt! Nice to see a fellow Silhillian on the site (don't suppose you're also a Villa fan? :grin:)

Back on topic, I went to my local WHSmith today to pick up the Mirror and got given Saturday's 30005 instead of this. I'm going to send off by post anyway, not complaining, could do with more Stormies. :classic:

Rufus

this set is cool so im going to build one using spare parts

Rufus

this set is cool so im going to build one using spare parts