101 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above-Average
    • Outstanding

thindexedgif.gif

Welcome to my seventh Academy Review, and my first on the way to becoming a teacher. So far, I've reviewed three of the seven Classic Pirates sets I proudly own, and I now present to you the fourth.

BASIC INFORMATION:

Set Name: Armada Flagship

Set Number: 6280

Number of Pieces: 280 (284 according to Brickset, 280 according to LUGNET and Peeron)

Minifigs: 3

Price: $50 USD

Theme: Pirates

Year Released: 1996

Note: This set was re-released as set 6291 in 2001.

RESOURCES:

Brickset

Peeron

Bricklink

Brickshelf (When Public)

THE REVIEW:

INSTRUCTIONS:

Front:

01inst1.jpg

We'll skip right to the instructions, as I have nothing left of the box. Something very interesting about the front is there is no sculpted background, like in most other Pirates sets back then. Just look at those pretty clouds and calm waters.

Random Page:

02inst2.jpg

A random page, not so randomly selected. I chose this one because you can see it gives you a 1:1 image of the size string/rope piece you're supposed to use in that step. There are no piece call outs, and the sub-models are small enough to fit on the same page.

Back:

03inst3.jpg

The back has a few alternate models, but it's hard to use the boat hulls as anything other than boat hulls, so the models don't look that appealing. However, there are some sculpted bits in the background, so maybe there is nothing sculpted on the front because the ship is out on the empty waters.

Instructions:: Thoughts: Fine colors, clear steps, no piece call-outs. Nothing unusual from that era.

PIECES:

Pieces:

04piec1.jpg

The sorted pieces, meticulously spread out for your viewing pleasure. This is always the part of the review that takes me the longest, so you better like it! :angry::tongue: (Click the picture for a much bigger pic.)

Pieces of interest:

06piec3.jpg

Some of the more interesting pieces, and there's quite a few of them! My favorites include the green railings, steering wheel, trapdoor (you'll see what that's for later. :wink: ), ship accessories, and a non-firing cannon. I was just a kid when this set came out, so I had no idea that firing cannons existed. I still don't fully understand why some sets had firing or non-firing cannons, but I believe it had to do with American safety regulations. The cannon has the crossed cannons logo on it, and appeared in many Pirate, Western, and Ninja sets, but it's still a treat today.

The Compass:

07piec4.jpg

This is my all-time favorite piece of the set. I just love it so much because the center area actually spins (although it isn't accurate) and is intricately detailed. It appears in only ten sets, seven of which are Pirates, and this is the only one I own.

Pieces:: Thoughts: A strange blend of colors, that somehow go together on the ship. It's almost rainbow with all that red, green, blue, yellow, and black. But with such a nice variety, there's really nothing to complain about. That compass... :wub:

MINIFIGS:

Front and Back:

08mini1.jpg09mini2.jpg

Next up are our little Conquistador friends. Don't they look fabulous? The helmets are amazing, and torsos great. The armor is fantastic as well, because it is actually very shiny, not the metallic silver seen on the Conquistador skeleton from 7196 Chauchila Cemetery Battle.

Without Armor:

10mini3.jpg

A shot without the armor, so you can see the printing underneath. It's actually different from the other red one, despite them being the same color. With the armor on, you can't notice it easily, but it is an excellent addition that makes the minifigs even more unique.

Minifigs:: Thoughts: Three different torsos, three different faces, and (technically) three different headpieces. Absolutely sensational design.

THE BUILD:

Build:

11buil1.jpg12buil2.jpg

13buil3.jpg14buil4.jpg

A few in-build shots, at 5 step intervals. It comes together quite quickly, probably because more pieces are added per step than sets today. It could also be due to the low piece count.

Completed:

15buil5.jpg

And in 26 steps, the ship is completed! Isn't she a beauty?

Build:: Thoughts: Quite average, with no interesting techniques used, but practically no Technic. Threading strings gets a little annoying after a certain point, and this set has quite a few.

COMPLETED PRODUCT:

Front:

16comp1.jpg

A front view of the ship. The sail is great, and you get a nice view of the green railings. If I were a pirate, this would definitely send shivers down my spine!

Front closeup:

17comp2.jpg

A close-up of the figurehead and the surrounding area. I could never figure out what it's supposed to be, but it looks like a yellow snake with a red tongue to me. Whatever it is, it doesn't make a difference to me, because it blends nicely.

Side:

18comp3.jpg

A side view, the port side for you sailors out there. (At least I think it's port. :grin: ) Note the hanging treasure net, which can be opened and adjusted very easily.

Other Side:

19comp4.jpg

Now for the starboard side, which is surprisingly a bit different from the port side. You can see a Technic pin and the anchor here. The anchor can actually be moved to the other side, because there is an identical clip for it there.

"Crow's Nest"

20comp5.jpg

Here is a neat little area near the top of the mast. The sailors can get here by climbing the ropes. This a nice touch that allows even more playability.

Treasure hiding spot:

21comp6.jpg

Another fun feature is the small area at the stern that can hide the treasure chest. I didn't figure out that it was for treasure until yesterday. :grin:

Closed:

22comp7.jpg

See! The treasure is pretty effectively concealed.

Other Use:

23comp8.jpg

Of course, there are a few funner uses of the area. :laugh: I used to think that its purpose was so the captain could poke his head out of his cabin and yell at the crew.

Inside:

24comp9.jpg

A shot of what's "inside" the ship. The cannon can rotate and move to either side. If you can only have one cannon, this is the way to go! Other ships with one cannon (such as the Cross Bone Clipper) can only fire one way, and having it adjustable is a really nice touch. I'm sure it would have been much more fun with a shooting cannon though. Also notice the black cabinet area and the cannon balls.

Taking a break:

25comp10.jpg

The cabinet can serve as a sleeping area, cellar, or anything you choose. Another nice little touch here, good work designers!

Back:

26com11.jpg

A view of the stern, with nice detailing. The green window and the lantern are really cool.

Video:

A little feature-length video, showcasing many functions. The collapsing sail is my favorite one, and adds huge playability potential for a sea battle.

27final1.jpg

Now for those Totals!

Design: 10/10 Absolutely flawless, with an incredible amount of details for a medium-size ship. Sure, isn't clear what the figurehead is supposed to be, but it really doesn't matter to me. Besides, it matches the overall color scheme.

Parts: 10/10 A great selection with plenty of colors and accessories. It isn't quite a parts pack today (because of the high price), but back in the day, it would be fairly decent.

Build: 9/10 Fairly short step-wise, but many things are added per step. You really have to watch closely in order not to miss something.

Minifigs: 10/10 Three amazing minifigs with great printing and accessories. The Conquistadors are some of my favorite minifigs from the Pirate line.

Playability: 9/10 Great functions and ideas, with a lot of potential. The only thing is- no bad guys. (then again, these guys might be considered bad, I really have no idea.)

Price: 6/10 284 pieces for $50 is very poor. Even though the boat hulls add to the cost, it should still be cheaper. The Pirates line was decent price-wise, but not this set.

Total: 55/60 Probably the best score I've ever given a set. It's nice to have a ship for someone other than Pirates or Imperials for a change as well. It's a simply amazing set- I think the fact that it was remade in the LEGENDS series really said something. Out of all the pirates sets they could have chosen.. why this one? Simply put, it has a fantastic design packed with details, colors, rare pieces, minifigs, and everything that a truly Classic Pirates set should have. I'm very proud and fortunate to own this little beauty, and I believe that it is on of the THE best sets I own. If you have any interesting in this rainbow masterpiece, definitely consider making a BrickLink order soon!

Bonus:

28bonus1.jpg

Pirate- "You call that a Flagship?!"

Thanks for reading!

-Inconspicuous (now nicknamed Inky)

You're just loading our index up aren't you? :pir_laugh2:

This is a lovely review of a very nice set. Sure, it has more colors than a rainbow in an arcade, but it has some nice features and great minifigs. I love the sails and the nice Armada emblem on it especially.

Thanks for the review! I'll index it.

This is a great review, but this ship is a horrendous eyesore which appears to have been designed by a colour-blind monkey :pir-tongue:

Yes, many vessels in various fleets were brightly painted and ornately detailed, but the effect here is neither harmonious or attractive. It looks like one of those creations you see designed by a 6 year old on page 3 of the Lego Club magazine.

If the Armada was hoping to disarm their enemy by inducing violent illness in their opponents, then they were probably successful :pir_laugh2:

I do like the nice stern detail and compass.

Thanks for the review!

That is a great review. Well structured and great pictures

I always wanted this ship because of the white hull pieces and the sails, but I really think that the general choice of colours in this set is strange, plus I miss a regular figurepiece :)

Thanks for indexing this, Erds! I makes me feel better to know that my review has a nice, cozy home here in the Pirates Forum. :pir-classic:

This is a great review, but this ship is a horrendous eyesore which appears to have been designed by a colour-blind monkey :pir-tongue:

Yes, many vessels in various fleets were brightly painted and ornately detailed, but the effect here is neither harmonious or attractive. It looks like one of those creations you see designed by a 6 year old on page 3 of the Lego Club magazine.

If the Armada was hoping to disarm their enemy by inducing violent illness in their opponents, then they were probably successful :pir_laugh2:

I do like the nice stern detail and compass.

Thanks for the review!

You just made my day! :pir_laugh2: I bet somewhere, a Lego designer burst out in tears, having sensed that his "masterpiece" was brutally destroyed by criticism. Now that I think about, I think I'll move the ship into the closet. :pir-grin:

Really nice review of a pretty hideous set, well the minifigs are nice and indeed the sail is a nice design... the hatch in the back looks too modern. The cargo area in the front looks plain cheap. And I sure am glad there are shooting cannons in my classic pirates sets, if not for the function, then for the looks. The smooth barrels of the shooting cannons are way better than those emblems on the non-shooting version.

I don't agree with the criticism about the colours. The colours are perfect, though some brown could be nice as well. But compared to most lego ships, this one is very realistic. Ofcourse it's not the real size but it looks very great and there are a lot of useful parts in it. Strange is that on every image here, the lateen sail is in a different position as it is on the box. And btw, I have this set too and my cannon is without the image on top of it. Anyway, I like this set :pir-sweet:

Not my first choice of colors, but good review, I like the battle scene at the end.

I really liked this set (my first pirate set! :pir-cry_happy: )

But I do not agree with the color bashing. :pir-hmpf_bad:

Some ships were very colorful. Take the Susan Constant (of Jamestown fame):

Click for a picture

that doesn't make me like the colours more :pir-tongue:

It's not even primarily the colors, it's mainly the lacking design of the later Pirates I sets.

This is a pretty solid set. Colour-wise it may not be the best, but the construction is good and its colours can be forgiven since real ships where fairly colourfull and this also seems more like an "elite/royal" ship. Also plenty of great parts and minifigs (green window, green cannon base, compass etc.).

I was never realy a fan of Armada sets but this ship reminded me of the Caribean Clipper because it looked similar in design. I think the set is above average because it's got some good minifigs, good design and accessories. Let's just say it's a good set and nothing to complain about realy.Actualy after reading this reveiw I want this ship and I now like Armada sets.

Edited by gormadoc

Could have looked so much better if the sails were positioned and attached differently... I love the pattern on the main sail, but the way this sail hangs is just wrong. The colour scheme should've been more consistent - mainly white and blue. But they added a little bit of red here, a bit of yellow there, and green... That's too much.

This set has a lot of cool parts which work great if used on their own in a MOC, like the greeen railing, green cannon base, and especially the blue/white hull - I absolutely love this hull, it's so versatile. However all these pieces put into this one set make it look too messy...

The minifigs are great, but they could've added one more for a set this size. :pir-classic: I can never get enough of these Spanish soldiers...

Design-wise, it's worse than 6271 Imperial Flagship or even Renegade Runner, although it has more rare and cool parts than those two sets combined... I think it's worth buying, but mine was taken apart for parts pretty quickly. :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Dreamweb

Out of all my ships, I like this one the least. I think I'm going to turn it into a unarmed merchant man or something to that effect.

-martinsuper

P.S. The review was good, even though I'm not fond of the ship!

Out of all my ships, I like this one the least. I think I'm going to turn it into a unarmed merchant man or something to that effect.

-martinsuper

P.S. The review was good, even though I'm not fond of the ship!

I agree. It was the last ship I added to complete my collection. It was some really great parts in cool colors but it just doesn't look at all right together. I am a big fan of the small hulls. I wish they weren't so darn hard and expensive to come by! Great review.

It isn't my favorite set due to the color scheme. It is just too bright and colorful to be realistic to me. That being said it is just a toy and the color scheme is leaps and bounds ahead of the RBR so I will give it a 4/5. Nice review and thanks for all of the nice pictures. :pir-classic:

unlike others i'm really annoyed by the collapsable mast, as well as by the entire rigging, two sails just doesn't seem right

I wish they weren't so darn hard and expensive to come by! Great review.

i don't know what the situation in the states is like, but here in germany you can shoot this set for a pretty good price these days, and there are plenty of them being sold right now, i got myself two slightly incomplete sets for less than 15 € each

I agree. It was the last ship I added to complete my collection. It was some really great parts in cool colors but it just doesn't look at all right together. I am a big fan of the small hulls. I wish they weren't so darn hard and expensive to come by! Great review.

Currently I have some bluecoats using it, but it may soon become unaligned or target practice for one of my Imperial Flagships. One built, another on the way.

-martinsuper

P.S. I had to buy two, the balance of power between my red coats and blue coats was becoming alarming.

Hmm, I don't understand why everyone is complaining about the colors on this ship. Apparently you people don't hang around Hispanic areas very much. Well, they often paint their stuff in garish colors like that, so why not their ships!

It is, in fact, very fitting, and I think it has a lot of originality and personality to the design and color scheme, and those Conquistadors are so darn cool! Although, I have a customized one that I added some bricks to. I think it looks much nicer now. I might have to take some pics and show ya'll. :pir-classic:

Perhaps the figurehead is a gargoyle or lion? I wish someone knew! :pir_laugh2: