My new Technic spare part storage system

20 replies to this topic

#1 Blakbird

Blakbird

• Technic Angel of Retribution

Member: 2164

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:18 AM

I'm not a typical AFOL in that, for the most part, I don't have any loose parts. My hundreds of thousands of parts are built into the sets which they constitute, all of which are on display. But there ARE still a pile of extra parts. I use them to replace parts which are missing, and I use them to build MOCs. Mostly, I don't really design my own MOCs, I rather attempt to duplicate some of the best which I find on the web. I decided my spare parts badly needed organizing, so I did this!
Posted Image

More detail:

Here are gears and axles.
Posted Image

Next come pins and connectors.
Posted Image

Beams and liftarms.
Posted Image

Half thickness liftarms, suspension and steering parts.
Posted Image

Technic bricks.
Posted Image

Panels, pneumatics, engine parts, chain links, and turntables.
Posted Image

And finally, the old standby Technic storage case for miscellaneous items.
Posted Image

You'll notice there are virtually no standard plates, bricks, or regular System parts. I like it that way! If you are wondering what all the parts which are assembled look like, that would be this (after quite a few trips to IKEA). These photos of the room are several months old so some of the newest sets are not pictured.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Blakbird, 07 June 2012 - 01:17 AM.

Blakbird
Technicopedia

#2 tomacwhite

tomacwhite

Member: 6648

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:29 AM

WOW at your collection, that is incredible!!

I love your storage solutions for all the spare parts, I could do with getting something similar myself. Did you get those from Ikea too?

#3 Blakbird

Blakbird

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

View Posttomacwhite, on Aug 15 2009, 05:29 PM, said:

WOW at your collection, that is incredible!!

I love your storage solutions for all the spare parts, I could do with getting something similar myself. Did you get those from Ikea too?

No, the bins are not from IKEA.  IKEA does not have any small enough to really work for small numbers of LEGO.  I got the bins at a store named "Storables".  They are made by a company called "Art Bins".  Very good quality.
Blakbird
Technicopedia

#4 Milan

Milan

Member: 6465

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

I knew you have great number of sets, but this is extreme :classic:
I like your perfect organisation of the sets, I am that kind of perfectionist with my parts. I like to see there is more people ready to invest great amount of time to organize things like this!

Question: Do you have problem with dust on your sets, and how do you solve it?
Website
FB Page

Posted Image Posted Image      Posted Image       Posted Image

#5 Conchas

Conchas

Member: 1449

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

Yes, dust should be an issue if displaying the models that way!?

What most catch my eye, was the replica of Jennifer's Excavator. :cry_happy: Have also built the remote?
Was looking for Nico's Front-Loader, but didn't find it.

Are you sure, you don't have any loose parts? :wink:
FCorreia

LEGO Fan: A lifelong experience - Play Well (Leg Godt)

Posted Image
       Posted Image

#6 akong

akong

Member: 6662

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:53 PM

wow! A Technic Museum!!!! :thumbup:

#7 Milan

Milan

Posted 16 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

View Postakong, on Aug 16 2009, 06:53 PM, said:

wow! A Technic Museum!!!! :thumbup:

True, true...
I would like to be a custos in this museum, or a night security, even janitor. :classic:
Website
FB Page

#8 Zblj

Zblj

Member: 7054

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:31 PM

I have simillar boxes. Got them very cheap :)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The last one costed 36 €, but it was worth it :)

ZBLJ STANDS FOR ZERO BRICKS LEFT JERRY

ANIMATOR, TECHNIC BUILDER, ADVANCED LEGO DIGITAL DESIGNER USER

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

PLEASE CLICK ON TEXT/IMAGE TO VISIT MY VARIOUS SITES

"AIN'T NO THING LIKE ME, EXCEPT ME!" - ROCKET RACCOON

NEED A REAL MODEL DIGITIZED IN LDD? CONTACT ME!

CLICK HERE FOR A CHANCE TO WIN A FREE SET

#9 CP5670

CP5670

• In search of litmus paper

Member: 2646

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

That is an amazing collection and display setup. I like how you have some custom models (like mine :classic:) among the official ones too. Do you have issues with dust in your house? The black shelves looks very nice, but one possible issue with them is that dust shows up easily on that color.

Do you make any attempt to separate the old and new grays in your storage? You're one of the few people I have seen with a large amount of Technic from both eras. I find that I can easily distinguish between normal bricks, plates and beams without a side-by-side comparison, but I have a harder time with the non-ABS gears and bushes, so I keep those apart.

And finally, the old standby Technic storage case for miscellaneous items.

Nice. :thumbup: I use one of these too, mostly for electric and pneumatic parts and various oddly shaped pieces that don't fit in my main parts area.

#10 Blakbird

Blakbird

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

View PostMilan, on Aug 16 2009, 12:07 AM, said:

I knew you have great number of sets, but this is extreme :classic:
I like your perfect organisation of the sets, I am that kind of perfectionist with my parts. I like to see there is more people ready to invest great amount of time to organize things like this!
Yes, I like to keep them well organized.  Some of it is just for fun, but as I write Technicopedia I also need to be able to find and access everything quickly so I can write about models and make comparisons.

Question: Do you have problem with dust on your sets, and how do you solve it?
Yes, there is certainly a dust problem.  Most house dust comes from dead skin shed by humans, so the first thing I do is simply keep the door shut and keep the heater vent closed.  This minimizes the dust ingress.  Sadly, I am allergic to house dust so there is not a lot I can do once they get dusty.  Sometimes I use make-up application brushes along with some furniture polish to prevent the dust from getting airborne.

View PostConchas, on Aug 16 2009, 01:32 AM, said:

What most catch my eye, was the replica of Jennifer's Excavator. :cry_happy: Have also built the remote?
Was looking for Nico's Front-Loader, but didn't find it.
Yes, I also built the remote.  I displayed and demonstrated the whole thing at Brickfest this year.  It uses over 50 feet of pneumatic tubing!!  I keep meaning to post more photos of the completed model at Brickshelf.  Busy, busy, busy.

I hadn't yet built Nico's loader at the time, but it is on my shelf now.  Maybe I need to take some new pictures.

Are you sure, you don't have any loose parts? :wink:
Hardly any!

View PostMilan, on Aug 16 2009, 08:55 AM, said:

I would like to be a custos in this museum, or a night security, even janitor. :classic:
You are hired!  Report to work at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning.  :tongue:

I've always thought a real museum of LEGO history would be wonderful.  I'd certainly love to display my collection and share it.  My ultimate dream would be to have 3 of each set:
  • MISB, unopened, showing box and packaging details
  • Built on display
  • Alternate model built on display
I guess I'll keep dreaming.

View PostCP5670, on Aug 16 2009, 10:46 AM, said:

That is an amazing collection and display setup. I like how you have some custom models (like mine :classic: ) among the official ones too.
Yes, I've built a few of the very best MOCs, including yours.  :tongue:  On my shelves, you should be able to make out your Annihilator, the huge Tow Truck and Monster Truck from Grazi, Barman's big working V-8, Han's Prinoth Leitwolf snow groomer, a pair of Brian Cooper's Teknomeka, and Jennifer Clark's JCB JS220 excavator.  I've since also build Nico71's R/C wheel loader.  I'm working on an LDraw file for Jennifer Clark's Baldwin mobile crane at the moment.  Don't know whether or not I will try to build it.  It would be interesting to convert it to use the new linear actuators instead of her custom lead screw.  I'd also like to do one of RoscoPC's F-1 cars.  There are lots of things on the list.

Do you make any attempt to separate the old and new grays in your storage? You're one of the few people I have seen with a large amount of Technic from both eras. I find that I can easily distinguish between normal bricks, plates and beams without a side-by-side comparison, but I have a harder time with the non-ABS gears and bushes, so I keep those apart.
Dark gray is pretty easy to tell the difference, but it can be tricky with the small light gray parts.  It is not a big problem for me because I keep all of my models separate so the colors really don't get mixed.  I mix them in my spare parts bins, but when I need to dig out a replacement part I always check for the right gray color.  I'm also picky about detail like using the old style non-slotted friction pins on old models.
Blakbird
Technicopedia

#11 SuperCow

SuperCow

Member: 6789

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:31 PM

I use those kind of boxes as well for the smaller parts.
Bigger parts I use plastic containers or shoe box :D

Indeed an very impressive collection.

I have a better idea for hiring a janitor
will you adopt me  :tongue:

#12 Milan

Milan

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

View PostSuperCow, on Aug 17 2009, 12:31 AM, said:

I have a better idea for hiring a janitor
will you adopt me  :tongue:

Hey Hey Hey, those jobs are mine, boy!
I am going to report at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning! :tongue:
Website
FB Page

#13 Blakbird

Blakbird

Posted 16 August 2009 - 10:46 PM

View PostMilan, on Aug 16 2009, 02:35 PM, said:

Hey Hey Hey, those jobs are mine, boy!
I am going to report at 7 a.m. tomorrow morning! :tongue:

No fighting kids, there are enough positions for everybody in Blakbird's Technic Museum of Justice.

(Please note that this is a non-paying job).

If anybody actually shows up at my house, I am going to laugh and laugh.
And then put them to work.
Blakbird
Technicopedia

#14 Milan

Milan

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:01 PM

View PostBlakbird, on Aug 17 2009, 12:46 AM, said:

(Please note that this is a non-paying job).
Those letters need to be typed really small, and at the end of the contract :laugh: !
Ah, i get your drift - you are going to pay workers with your sets! For my first salary, i 'll take new loader! :thumbup:
Website
FB Page

#15 Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

Member: 4458

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:55 PM

Oh dear. I wish I had that many specifically Technic models.

I've found that the only problem with using that type of case is that once one starts down that path, one cannot return... which is probably as good a reason as any for having 60+ of those kind of cases with thousands of parts in them.

My Reviews
6966 Mini Jedi Starfighter~8970 Robo Attack~8967 Gold Tooth's Getaway~8038 The Battle of Endor
5969 Squidman Escape
If it's PURPLE, I've switched the pictures from Brickshelf to Flickr.

#16 CP5670

CP5670

• In search of litmus paper

Member: 2646

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:24 AM

Dark gray is pretty easy to tell the difference, but it can be tricky with the small light gray parts. It is not a big problem for me because I keep all of my models separate so the colors really don't get mixed. I mix them in my spare parts bins, but when I need to dig out a replacement part I always check for the right gray color. I'm also picky about detail like using the old style non-slotted friction pins on old models.

I'm like that too, except with that one infuriating piece. :tongue: I would recommend ditching those altogether, as they discolor and damage other parts if left connected for long periods of time.

I removed them from all of my models a few months ago and replaced them with the slotted kind. I just use them now as rocks for construction vehicles to scoop up.

Oh dear. I wish I had that many specifically Technic models.

I've found that the only problem with using that type of case is that once one starts down that path, one cannot return... which is probably as good a reason as any for having 60+ of those kind of cases with thousands of parts in them.

I use the Stack-on containers discussed here for the bulk of my spare parts. They're somewhat expensive, but are very space-efficient if you have several packs of them.

#17 allanp

allanp

Member: 961

Posted 17 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

WOW  :wub:  The parts look very similar to mine (mine is larger but I only have 5 models built up where as you have all of them!) I have used a number of these stanley ones

http://www.stanleyto...ional Organizer

http://www.stanleyto...ional Organizer

where each compartment it it's own little yellow tub which (is expensive but) deffinately worth it.

But your collection of sets is just increadable wish I had a display like that. I noticed you have my favorite model, 8480, top and centre along with it's b-model. Very nice!
Even the best can be made better, but most important is to be excellent to each other and party on dudes!!!!!!

#18 Burf2000

Burf2000

Member: 6615

Posted 18 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

That looks really neat, i have the issue that i dont just collect technic and so, i have 50 litre containers full of some parts lol ( 2 full of flats that I not sorted yet).

I basically need a bigger house.  Lego is in every room of the house (except bathroom) and takes over a middle size shed lol

#19 steele

steele

Member: 6936

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

Both the actual bins and the sorting method are scarily similar to my own.  :)

#20 Blakbird

Blakbird

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

View Poststeele, on Aug 18 2009, 12:42 PM, said:

Both the actual bins and the sorting method are scarily similar to my own.  :)

The thought of someone being even vaguely like me is indeed disturbing.  I shall attempt to differentiate myself with further oddities.  :classic:
Blakbird
Technicopedia

#21 Burf2000

Burf2000

Member: 6615

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

lol

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users