Return to Sabre Island - A reimagining.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic  – Started by JKooL , Aug 11 2009 06:57 AM

#1 JKooL

JKooL

Member: 5063

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

Posted Image 86b
I was browsing the old Lego Pirates sets looking for some inspiration, but it turns out what I was really inspired by was the Lagoon Lockup remake that was posted here awhile back. I decided to remake an old Pirates set, and it came down to Shipwreck Island or Sabre Island. Both of these sets have a lot of charm in a tiny package. I eventually decided it would be Sabre Island, as I felt it provided more possibilities for letting my imagination run wild.

The Original Sabre Island:

Posted Image

What follows is a collaboration of nostalgia and modernity, brought together to coexist harmoniously as a testament to the timelessness of Lego Pirates. Today I bring you...

Return to Sabre Island.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I tried to keep the basic idea of the original Sabre Island, but I also wanted to explore other options that would liven up the island a little bit while keeping in line with the original vision. The 3 story building exists, interior complete with a 1st floor tavern / stock room, an upstairs bedroom with balcony, and a 3rd story watch tower. The original wall protecting the cannon was sacrificed in favor of a new dock for the Imperial sentry boat, most pieces courtesy of Loot Island. I really like the Brown and it's a shame I don't have more to use, but I think anymore brown in this set would've been overkill.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the capability to take amazing photographs the way a MOC should be done. I hope this will be ok for the time being, and sadly some of the beauty of the set is lost to the terrible photographs. If I can do this set anymore justice, I will update it with better pictures after I read through the photographing tutorial again and see if I can scrounge up both money and space to set up proper lighting.

Thanks for looking, I hope you enjoyed my re-imagining of Sabre Island. Thanks for everything that you guys do, this is a wonderful community and I can spend hours just browsing the index of MOC's on this forum.

Edited by SlyOwl, 16 November 2009 - 09:21 PM.

#2 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:12 AM

Looks nice in my opinion, a lot of details!
I'm not sure about the red-white small roofing thingy though.
Keep it up!

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#3 maydayartist

maydayartist
  • Expert ship-builder

Member: 6686

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:28 AM

Very nice  :thumbup:
The use of a halfdoor for the bridge is brilliant.
But my favorite is the use of the white logs, I love this bricks. It's not special but give them an extraordinary look.

Posted Image

#4 Joey Lock

Joey Lock
  • Captain Blue Hair drives a pink scooter!

Member: 1823

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:21 PM

I love it!
I nice little fort. And the Redcoats kicked out the Bluecoats!  :pir_laugh2:

Posted Image

God save the gracious King,
Long live the noble King,
God save the King:
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us:
God save the King.

Posted Image

#5 martinsuper

martinsuper
  • Black Sheep

Member: 5443

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

View PostJoey Lock, on Aug 11 2009, 08:21 AM, said:

And the Redcoats kicked out the Bluecoats!  :pir_laugh2:

No Joe, we dont need such dinky forts anymore...

Anyways, as the owner of the most Sabre Islands out of anyone, I have to say that I really like it.

-Super

#6 Commodore Hornbricker

Commodore Hornbricker
  • Cyborg Chef Splatter

Member: 5169

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:31 PM

I always love seeing the original sets MODed.  Looks good!
Posted Image Sail on over to the Port of Brick Royal
"I am not having him flogged for fighting, Mr. Gerard." - Horatio Hornblower

#7 Paul cantu

Paul cantu

Member: 4274

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

View PostJKooL, on Aug 11 2009, 12:57 AM, said:

What follows is a collaboration of nostalgia and modernity, brought together to coexist harmoniously as a testament to the timelessness of Lego Pirates. Today I bring you...
THE BEST SENTENCE EVER!
I really like the moc. The dock and the beach is really cool. You definately need some pictures of the interior.

Here is how I take pictures. I usually take the pictures on a card table in my room.  I put a poster board under the moc and a science fair board (trifold thing) behind it. I  take the pictures during the day so that natural light is streaming onto my moc. I also have the only light in my room on. Then I just take the pictures with the flash on. Make sure that whatever you use as the back ground, in my case the trifold board is facing toward the natural light . I think the main key is natural sun light. I find that using a bright lamp right against the moc causes huge shadows. I think that is the problem with your pics. I can post pics of my set up if you want to see exactly what I mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links