22 replies to this topic  – Started by Scouty , Aug 07 2009 06:26 AM

#1 Scouty

Scouty
  • [not worthy of classic film title]

Member: 863

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:26 AM

Posted Image

Hello! This is the discussion thread!

Before I start anywhere here, here is the link to the actual MANUAL.

Now, please state comments, questions, compliments, and complaints in this thread. Would love to hear if you have questions.  :pir-classic:

Now available in PDF Format!! (Best viewed in a smaller size.)
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#2 Dragonator

Dragonator
  • Blurry? No! Furry? Who knows?

Member: 2052

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:04 AM

That's a really well presented and nicely laid out manual IS, nice job!  :thumbup: It made a very interesting and easy to follow read, and was very informative. I'm sure this will be a good help to all the army builders out there in deploying their troops. :classic:

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help? Ask Here

Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide | Tutorials

Feel like relaxing with a blood-thirsty game? Check out the LEGO Mafia, RPG and Wargames forum

#3 Rick

Rick
  • Wants to be important too! (but already is)

Member: 5261

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:09 AM

Thanks for putting this together ImperialScouts. I really enjoyed reading it and looking at that whole regiment of Bluecoats marching.

#4 General Armendariz

General Armendariz
  • I invoke upon thee...the Curse of the Merman-General!

Member: 4056

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

Wonderful! great job I really love it :pir-blush: Now  can teach my 52 Bluecoats the right way of lining up and dicapline :pir-devil:
Once I get my BL order, that is :pir-grin:

#5 Hound Knight

Hound Knight
  • Exblower Artistic Genius!

Member: 5665

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:57 PM

Wow, this is excellent, thank you for making this, it was very educational and will be a great help to me and my troops.  :pir-grin:
~ Hound Knight,   BrickForge Firebrand

Posted Image

Support the Pirates forum, buy your LEGO here!

#6 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

Thanks! It was a lot of work and took more than four hours to do. I'm happy with the result, though.
.Posted Image
"Mr. Nowhere" John Doe >:] | Bruno Bear, the watchmaker | Sassy Cooter | Scar Mimitsus >:] |
First Officer Commander Cameron Walters :3 | Casey Cat, Puuurfect painter | Sveinn, the Uninspired :3 | Scouty | L'il Scouty | Langston Lionheart >:]

#7 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Member: 273

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:24 PM

Have you ever considered turning this manual in a PDF, Imperial Scouts?

It would be another method of distribution and would allow more people to view it.

Posted Image

#8 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:18 AM

A good idea!

If only I knew how to make one  :pir_laugh2:  !!
.Posted Image

#9 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:46 AM

It's not that hard.  You can do it with Microsoft Word and a free plugin like FlashPaper.

Although Word 2007 and 2008 might be able to save directly to PDF, since I never bothered to upgrade past Word 2003 I cannot confirm this.

Posted Image

#10 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Good thing I just installed the 2007 version yesterday! I'll see if I can do it there!
.Posted Image

#11 Zorro

Zorro
  • Farewell Dieter!

Member: 3951

Posted 11 August 2009 - 04:45 PM

Looks amazing! It did take some time before you posted this though!
But thanks anyway, keep up the good work you're doing for the Pirates forum (and beyond).

#12 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:28 AM

View PostImperialScouts, on Aug 12 2009, 02:33 AM, said:

Good thing I just installed the 2007 version yesterday! I'll see if I can do it there!
If you can just get the information into Word format I can convert it for you.

I'd also recommend merging this thread with the actual Manual as it doesn't seem of great benefit having them as two seperate threads.

Posted Image

#13 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:06 AM

The original idea was not to clutter the Manual thread with posts. An idea pitched by Captain Green Blue Hair
.Posted Image

#14 Mister Phes

Mister Phes
  • Uncle Sam edit!

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:10 AM

Unfortuntely that idea hasn't been conducive in attracting the level of attention your manual deserves.  It is somewhat of an inconvience to send people to another thread and then expect them to come back to this one to leave their comments.  However, I'll let you decide how you want to do this.

Posted Image

#15 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 13 August 2009 - 04:16 AM

Another issue might be load time. The thread is already loaded with pictures. Extra posts might make the first page really slow to load. Depending.

Not sure what to do, though.
.Posted Image

#16 Admiral Croissant

Admiral Croissant
  • Popped his title cherry!

Member: 4578

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

Maybe something for the index? This will always be useful, so everyone will always be able to see it there.Just a suggestion
Got questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines
Index of helpful tutorials

Posted Image
20 gun Frigate 'Vesta'
My Brickshelf
My Flickr
My Mocpages

#17 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:32 PM

PDF File added!  :pir-classic:

check out the first post to get the link!!
.Posted Image

#18 Captain Blackmoor

Captain Blackmoor
  • Hates Redcoats, likes crab meat

Member: 4015

Posted 15 August 2009 - 10:34 AM

Great presentation Imperialscouts! The manual was very handy!
You've put some good time in it, and the result is awesome. My compliments! :thumbup:

Sail to My Brickshelf or to My MOCpages, or my Flickr Photostream!

Got Questions? Need help? New member?
Read the site guidelines  - Index of helpful tutorials

Avalonia Trading Company

#19 Thee Pirate

Thee Pirate

Member: 1026

Posted 16 August 2009 - 12:29 AM

That was a pretty good read, thank you.

On a side note - I got on the drill team at my base and the commands that we use today are very similiar, but for some stupid reason the letter "H" is added to the beginning of a lot of commands.. eg. Stand at hease, left/right flank harch (which I don't recall seeing in your manual, but it may not have existed back then), forward harch, port harms, present harms, et cetera.

When the commands are given, sometimes they throw in other random letters to (for example order arms is said orderp harms)

Again, I'd like to clarify that I don't know how long it's been like this, so I would say don't change anything in your Manual of Arms, unless you investigate it, and dig up new information.

All in all, if a poll was added to rate the content of your manual, on a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give it a 6.

*edited after this*

On your "by files right/left" picture... the guy on the inside turn (or 4th column in that picture) should be half stepping it, the guys in the 2nd and 3rd columns should be doing approximate normal steps and the guy in the first column should be taking longer steps. Obviously in an opposite turn, this would be switched around.

Edited by Thee Pirate, 16 August 2009 - 12:43 AM.

All time favorite: the original Imperial Flagship
Modern favorite: Race for the Stolen Treasure (X5 and counting)

Set list on Brickset
flickr

#20 Scouty

Scouty

Posted 16 August 2009 - 06:57 PM

View PostThee Pirate, on Aug 15 2009, 07:29 PM, said:

That was a pretty good read, thank you.

On a side note - I got on the drill team at my base and the commands that we use today are very similiar, but for some stupid reason the letter "H" is added to the beginning of a lot of commands.. eg. Stand at hease, left/right flank harch (which I don't recall seeing in your manual, but it may not have existed back then), forward harch, port harms, present harms, et cetera.

When the commands are given, sometimes they throw in other random letters to (for example order arms is said orderp harms)

Again, I'd like to clarify that I don't know how long it's been like this, so I would say don't change anything in your Manual of Arms, unless you investigate it, and dig up new information.

All in all, if a poll was added to rate the content of your manual, on a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give it a 6.

Thank you! It's odd that they add  those random letters. I'm not 100% sure if they did anything like that in the 19th century, but I haven't heard/seen otherwise.

View PostThee Pirate, on Aug 15 2009, 07:29 PM, said:

*edited after this*

On your "by files right/left" picture... the guy on the inside turn (or 4th column in that picture) should be half stepping it, the guys in the 2nd and 3rd columns should be doing approximate normal steps and the guy in the first column should be taking longer steps. Obviously in an opposite turn, this would be switched around.

That's right. The guys in the outer most column would need take bigger steps, as opposed to the inner guys who takes very little. In some cases, the innermost man just turns 90 degrees automatically. However, in LEGO form, it's a little bit harder to depict  :pir_laugh2:

There's some things that I should add to the Manual. You'll see that soon  :pir-classic: !
.Posted Image

#21 saberwing

saberwing

Member: 6863

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

Thank you very much!
The manual was really usefull!  :thumbup:

"Hard work never killed anyone, but why take a chance?"
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

^ created by Jebediahs^   x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x--x-x   Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image <- thanks Joey!

#22 Captain Cannon

Captain Cannon

Member: 7100

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:09 PM

My Redcoats solute you  :pir_laugh2:

-------------------------------------------------
BlueCoats shall beat all

:pir-skull:
whatever my face is, thats how im feeling today,

#23 andy0002

andy0002

Member: 6169

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

cool! i bet the commands will come in handy when making stop motion and things! thanks for posting this it will be really helpful!
visit my youtube channel for all the major lego news reports from sites like brickset, eurobircks, etc. here at http://www.youtube.com/shonenshindo

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsored Links