Lego Back To The Future - Clock Tower Strike

12 replies to this topic

#1 Oky

Oky

• RA Anniversary Baker and a Quidditcher

Member: 2028

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Posted Image
Hello there. :classic: As the subtitle says, this was my entry in the Medium category in VBBN's Lego Themes contest on Brick Horizon, and I won first place with it. It recieved so much good feedback there that I thought I'd share this with you good people of EB as well.
The theme that I made up for this entry is my dream licensed theme: Lego Back to the Future!

Posted Image

Set name: Clock Tower Strike

Description: A lightning bolt is about to strike Hill Valley's clock tower, and it's Marty's only hope of getting back to the future! Can Doc fix the cable in time?
Includes clock tower, street lights, falling tree, tool box, Marty McFly and Doc Brown.

Features:

Turn the gears behind the clock to swing the bell!

Posted Image

Pull the pin to make the tree fall onto the wire!

Posted Image

The back of the DeLorean, which features a lightning rod that can be folded down or taken off!

Posted Image

Take off the roof of the DeLorean to place Marty inside!

Posted Image

Below you can see the controls of the DeLorean and Marty & Doc preparing for their adventure!

Posted Image

A close-up of the two heroes!

Posted Image

Interesting facts:
  • Doc's hair is white-painted Harry Potter hair.
  • The design of the DeLorean was inspired by 6743 Street Speeder.
  • I wanted the clock tower to be much better, but I had to stay below the parts limit of 550. :sceptic:
  • I felt honored when I found out that this creation was featured on ClassicTown.net. :blush:
Hope you like it. :classic:

Btw, VBBN, I'm still waiting for my prize! :hmpf_bad:  :tongue:

#2 YG-49

YG-49

• Missed one

Member: 5171

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

That's GREAT! I only think the clock tower and tree are too small. The car is a little blocky too I think.
SPACE FOR RENT

I felt my old sig was too big, so it's gone.

I'll miss it.

My fantastic avatar is by Jebediahs.

#3 Tom Bricks

Tom Bricks

• Video Games Reviewer

Member: 5938

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:35 PM

This is great and it looks like an actual set. Good job on the doors of the car too and congratulations on winning.
You can call me Tom
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted Image
Flickr
“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

#4 sologuy369

sologuy369

Member: 6609

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

Ahhh.It's about time that someone made Back To The Future models.The features make it JUST like a set.
Keep up the great building.
-Everyone, feel to call me Mr. Solo!
-My Brickshelf

Posted Image

Future reviews... if I can learn how to upload pictures from My Pictures :>
-ETX Alien Infiltrator
-Squidman's escape
-CW clone bp
-2004 speedboat
-gray w/orange case hockey guy
   -and way more!!!

-Visit the "So you think you can cook?" topic here and find out about the new comic show. I need your support.

#5 Big Cam

Big Cam

• A good mood, too.

Member: 5701

Posted 12 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

Man I got all excited when I saw this in your signature, great job, they should definetaly make this!

#6 Torax

Torax

Member: 6953

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:54 AM

Nice set! I wish I had known about this cometition so I could have entered...

Your set looks good, but it would look better with a little more environment. I understand that you had a piece limit, but it looks dull with all that grey concrete...

[My Introduction Topic: Link][Trade me your regular LEGO for my BIONICLE! PM me for a list of what BIONICLEs I have!]
[Star Wars Module Standard?]

#7 ziljin

ziljin

Member: 6924

Posted 15 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

Love the build and love the movies.

#8 united brick

united brick

Member: 3713

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

nice setish taste i like it. :thumbup:  :thumbup:

#9 Fumoffu

Fumoffu

Member: 5792

Posted 16 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Very nice and congratulation on winning.  The play features are great.

I understand that the size restrictions limited your ability to really make this fantastic.  Any inclination to add to it to make it better?  Bigger clock tower and more environment like the others before suggested?  Also I wonder if there's a head that looks older that you can use for Doc?

#10 Oky

Oky

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for all the kind comments, guys! :classic:

View PostTom Bricks, on Aug 2 2009, 09:35 AM, said:

This is great and it looks like an actual set.
Thanks. That was the intent. :wink:

View PostBig Cam, on Aug 12 2009, 06:11 AM, said:

Man I got all excited when I saw this in your signature, great job, they should definetaly make this!
I hope I didn't give you false hope that this is gonna be an actual theme. :grin:

View PostFumoffu, on Aug 16 2009, 12:32 PM, said:

Any inclination to add to it to make it better?  Bigger clock tower and more environment like the others before suggested?  Also I wonder if there's a head that looks older that you can use for Doc?
Not really. Not at the moment at least. I'm not much of a City MOCer and I am kinda busy these days. I do have the feeling that I should give this classic movie scene the high-quality treatment that it deserves though. So, maybe one day, I'll revamp it. :classic:
As for Doc's head, yeah, it's hard to find a head that fits his wrinkly, excentric face, especially among the fleshies. The best solution would be a decal, but I'm kind of a purist. painting his hair was already a big exception for me. If you have any better purist solution, go ahead and tell me. :thumbup:

#11 The Who

The Who

• No more boogers

Member: 2808

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

View PostOky Wan Kenobi, on Aug 16 2009, 09:45 PM, said:

As for Doc's head, yeah, it's hard to find a head that fits his wrinkly, excentric face, especially among the fleshies. The best solution would be a decal, but I'm kind of a purist. painting his hair was already a big exception for me. If you have any better purist solution, go ahead and tell me. :thumbup:
The only suggestions I could think of would be:

A---CW Clone Trooper head, looks like wrinkles Here.
B---CW Anikan head, more of a smile, looks like A basically
C---Grand Moff Tarkin head, lot of wrinkles, though no smile. Here.
D---CW Captain Rex, looks kind of old. Here.

Maybe one of those would work?
"When informed of the waiting period on guns at walmart; it is not infact witty to reply asking where the chainsaws are. Police will be notified."

Like free third person shooters? Online? You should join me on Battlefield Heroes, make sure you use this link.
Battlefield Heroes Link

#12 Mr Spielbrick

Mr Spielbrick

• Worse than iOS 6 Maps

Member: 2148

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

Who knows, booger, there might be a friendly old face if TLC releases a Marcus Brody fig in the Indy line. (Fingers crossed! Brody and Sallah, please.)

Anyway, on-topic: great set, sir! It looks very authentic, both setwise and BTTFwise. I love your attention to detail, with Doc's gloves and the hook at the back of the car, the falling tree... Genius.
Big fan of licensed themes and collectable minifigures.
Still trying to get a short brickfilm out there at some point...

#13 Oky

Oky

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

Well, CW heads wont do because of their clonewarsiness. :wink: And as you said, Tarkin looks too serious/mean to be Doc. Guess I'll have to wait for TLC to release a friendly old man.

View PostMr Spielbrick, on Aug 16 2009, 05:03 PM, said:

Anyway, on-topic: great set, sir! It looks very authentic, both setwise and BTTFwise. I love your attention to detail, with Doc's gloves and the hook at the back of the car, the falling tree... Genius.
Thanks. That means a lot coming from a great purist minifig customizer such as yourself. :classic:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users