13 replies to this topic

#1 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Member: 174

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Do you have an extra long train baseplate and a few extra train wheels available?
Run out of bricks for that favorite boxcar?
Tired of having to think about a new or creative wagon design?

Why not try a FLATBED?

That's right, a FLATBED.

One of the easiest train cars to build, even for the non-train expert is a simple flatbed wagon.  Flatbed wagons come in all shapes and sizes, some simply flat, some with raised sides, some short, and some long.  You can easily create a classic-style Lego flatbed wagon, or even a more complex TTX variety.

Whatever the choice, it's no so much the design of the flatbed that's important, but rather what you add on top (like a topping).

Train fans get quite clever with what they place atop flatbed wagons as illustrated in the picture above.  Cars, tractors, spooky boxes, containers, military vehicles, pipes, logs, etc.  The possibilities are endless.  So, what could you add to your flatbed?  Perhaps other EB train fans have a few ideas.

Share your thoughts in this Train Tech topic, Fun With Flatbeds.

#2 AJW

AJW

Member: 6525

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

Thanks Brickster, you've finally inspired me to record this sad scene.  :sad:

Vintage steam locomotive 7727 has reached the end of it's working life and is hauled away to the scrapyard...
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And you should see what is in the yellow van, it's actually a rolling workshop. From left to right: tool rack, oil drum with hand pump, drill, vice attached to workbench, and finally a workman having a nice cup of tea!
Posted Image

More photos in my Flickr set.

#3 smithyandco

smithyandco

Member: 6778

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:11 PM

That's awesome!
Always thought LEGO trains were better than Hornby  :tongue:

#4 Richie

Richie

Member: 3527

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:41 PM

Not LEGO, but maybe useful for inspiration:

Military equipment:
Posted Image

Transformer:
Posted Image

Construction equipment:
Posted Image

It's multifunctionomical.

Posted Image

Flickr

#5 legotrainfan

legotrainfan

Member: 2562

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:59 PM

I can really recommend reproducing the waggon of set 4555. I'm planning on building seven of them but not with a blue baseplate, of course. The blue one is extremely rare. It came with this set only and appeared in no other set. But I'm using black pieces instead of the blue ones. Easy build, many waggons, long train... perfect! OK, it may not be a real flatbed waggon since there are some bricks on top of it needed to stack containers on it. Anyway, still a nice and easy way of building several waggons.
[...]
I have spread my dreams under your feet.
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Davey

Davey

• Dry Humper

Member: 6272

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

View PostAJW, on Jul 23 2009, 12:07 PM, said:

Vintage steam locomotive 7727 has reached the end of it's working life and is hauled away to the scrapyard...
Posted Image

I cried when I saw this.  Such a sad moment.  Perhaps some well-off Minifig will buy what's left of the engine and restore it to its former glory.   :classic:

-Dave
My Setlist // Dave's MOCPage // Stacy's MOCPage // ToT-LUG Photostream // Brickshelf Gallery // Our Blog

============================================================

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"

"And you don't want to be here in the future...so you say the present is just a pleasant...interruption to the past."

#7 JopieK

JopieK

• Kneecap Buster

Member: 1180

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

@AJW: maybe you can add rails on the Flatbed, that is what they do for real as well.

New Member? Read This | Questions? Need Help?Ask Here
Site Guidelines | Eurobricks FAQ | Visual User Guide

Posted Image

-== Classic LEGO trains are the best ==-

Do you need replacement stickers for LEGO (reproductions and customs): ministickers.nl

What then about the LEGuanO?!

#8 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:14 AM

View PostAJW, on Jul 23 2009, 10:07 AM, said:

WOW!  What a fantastic scene.  You've just trumped anything that I can build using my limited train parts.  These 12V sets are truly fantastic.  I admire these classic/vintage trains so much.  I'm loving the yellow boxcar, esp. with the custom detailing that you've added.  I may trying building one in an alternate color.  

Your wonderful train is a great example of how one can add anything to a flatbed wagon, including another train/locomotive.  Thank you for sharing a superb set of classics. :thumbup:

EDIT:  since we're sharing our flatbeds, here's mine right out of Grave Stone:

Posted Image

#9 Davey

Davey

• Dry Humper

Member: 6272

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:59 PM

View PostTheBrickster, on Jul 23 2009, 08:14 PM, said:

WOW!  What a fantastic scene.  You've just trumped anything that I can build using my limited train parts.  These 12V sets are truly fantastic.  I admire these classic/vintage trains so much.  I'm loving the yellow boxcar, esp. with the custom detailing that you've added.  I may trying building one in an alternate color.  

Your wonderful train is a great example of how one can add anything to a flatbed wagon, including another train/locomotive.  Thank you for sharing a superb set of classics. :thumbup:

EDIT:  since we're sharing our flatbeds, here's mine right out of Grave Stone:

Posted Image

Aww yeah!  Hooray for creepy boxes on flatbeds.  I absolutely LOVE your 'Gravestone' stuff and this flatbed looks great!  The Minifigs standing in front of it really help to convey the creepiness of this particular flatbed car.   :classic:

Awesome work!

-Dave
My Setlist // Dave's MOCPage // Stacy's MOCPage // ToT-LUG Photostream // Brickshelf Gallery // Our Blog

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

"What if the democracy we thought we were serving no longer exists, and the Republic has become the very evil we have been fighting to destroy?"

"And you don't want to be here in the future...so you say the present is just a pleasant...interruption to the past."

#10 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

View PostCyclone Breezerider, on Jul 24 2009, 04:59 AM, said:

I absolutely LOVE your 'Gravestone' stuff and this flatbed looks great!  Awesome work!
Thanks Dave.  I like your tractor flatbed a lot as well.  I'm thinking about creating a flatbed to carry a vehicle or two - perhaps a forklift.

#11 Cooper

Cooper

Member: 5378

Posted 26 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

Here's my most recent flatbed along with the power miners hot rod I built a while back.  :classic:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 TheBrickster

TheBrickster

• Loved Ghost Ranger

Posted 27 July 2009 - 12:02 AM

Nice job Coop.  I love the hotrod in lime green.  Does it stay on with the chains pretty well?

#13 Cooper

Cooper

Member: 5378

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:30 AM

View PostTheBrickster, on Jul 26 2009, 05:02 PM, said:

Nice job Coop.  I love the hotrod in lime green.  Does it stay on with the chains pretty well?
The rods actually are holding the car in place.  The chains are just for added effect.  They don't actually tie the car down.

#14 Diamondback

Diamondback

Member: 4586

Posted 28 July 2009 - 06:01 AM

Try complete airliner fuselages, like how Boeing ships 737 fuselages built by Spirit Aerosystems in Wichita up here to Renton for assembly.
Posted Image

Or a locomotive--this one, I think, was when Purdue U. ("Boilermakers"--get it?) donated their locomotive collection to the National Museum of Transport in St. Louis
Posted Image

----------------
Now playing: James Horner - Re-Entry And Splashdown
via FoxyTunes

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users