Sign in to follow this  
Aliencat

MOC: Abbey of Saint Rumare

indexed.gif

Almost immediately after pacifying the area, the conquering crusaders decided a rock sticking out of a lake would be the perfect location to build a church and show their faith. Not long after they finished their house of God though, they found the need for fortifications around it became more and more urgent, with increasing attacks from heretic and blasphemous cults that were still active in the area.

With funds from the Vatican fortifications were built up around the church, and the crusaders garisoned in the fort fought off countless attacks and sieges. But even now the heretics of the area are still building up blasphemous tokens to their false gods.

So the Crusaders called in a fellow religious fanatic cult, the Hand of God, who didn't hesitate to send in a small strike force to raid the somewhat unsuspecting cultists' lands.

thumbrumare.jpg

^ click image for Brickshelf folder

The size is 128x112 studs.

Wonderful work AC!

The old look of the walls, the many angles the walls are placed in down to every little detail in the landscaping...truly amazing! :thumbup:

What a great creation! :thumbup: I saw some WIP photos last week and I thought it was going to be great, but when see this it looks more than great; it's marvelous! The walls are extremely well done, what amazes me the most is the amount of details you have managed to put in this. All the colors and details in the tan part, great. The landscaping is also very nice, so are the little houses packed in it. You just keep me amazing with your medieval creations!

:sweet:

Wow! It's a fantastic creation!

Love every detail! the disposition of the main building inside the water is marvelous! :thumbup:

Wow! This MOC is one of the best that I have ever laid my eyes on!

The size and detail make it so awesome.

The castle walls are very detailed, the ground is colorful and bumpy, the rocks on the castle are nicely done, and just about everything else is amazing.

How long did it take to make this fine castle?

Edited by ILikePi

Simply gorgeous! :cry_happy:

The landscaping is so beautiful with the SNOT water and the trees. It's such a fun scene. As for the building, absolutely fantastic. So many details, and the sheer size is mind-blowing.

Did you build the building by itself and then plunk it on the of the water? Or are there some studs in the middle of the water?

Top-notch work Aliencat. :thumbup:

Really lovely work. The jagged, natural landscaping around the castle is very nice! I love all the different angles that you achieved on the castle, it has a very organic shape to it. And the stone work on the castle is so awesome. It's the most successful mixing of old grey and bley I've ever seen. Excellent job!

MLB

Amazing work. The seemingly seamless diagonal constructions must be hard to achieve with LEGO. But then again, you got some practice at that with your earlier MOCs.

one of the most detailed castle-builds i´ve seen. Truly amazing.

Its even quite fun, great action and those fabuland figures made me laugh :tongue:

Magnificent !

I would so love to take a closer look so I can examine some of the clever building techniques.

Well done !

Dr. D.

GREAT WORK!

I like the way you made the river.

This MOC reminds me of Mont Saint Michel (France)

Mt st Michel

Edited by fenrir

Absolutely spectacular AlienCat. I had no idea oyu were this talented, this blew me away when I saw it. Amazing detail, I love all the studless parts, as well as the way you've managed to do the shape of the building as it sits on the baseplate. THe church itself is easily the most magnificent part about it, you have every right to feel proud.

To the Brickmobile! :devil:

What an amazing, massive, truly detailed, splendid MOC AC! You have created a masterpiece here :thumbup: The Abbey is awe inspiring towering above all. The level of detail is great to see, even down to the simple but effective cross.

The angled walls truly lend this castle towards its landscape and help to shake the boxiness that can so often pervade a castle MOC. Lots of nice action too, but its beauty is really in the architecture. Well done and thanks for sharing this beauty, I look forward to consulting it when building my next creation.

Cheers

Thanks a lot for all the great replies everyone! :D

Did you build the building by itself and then plunk it on the of the water? Or are there some studs in the middle of the water?

Neither, there's a few 2x2 bricks in the SNOT water that stick up, and fall into the "framework" of the bottom of the castle. This because I built this for a Castle display and had to be sure to assemble it all correctly at the scene, on repeated occasions.

Thanks a lot for all the great replies everyone! :D

Neither, there's a few 2x2 bricks in the SNOT water that stick up, and fall into the "framework" of the bottom of the castle. This because I built this for a Castle display and had to be sure to assemble it all correctly at the scene, on repeated occasions.

Wow Aliencat thats a beautyfull castle MOC! :wub:

There is so much to like.

That display you showed in Oss is great too, too bad I didn't know about it (probably my own falt). (I'm born in Oss, and my family still lives there).

I surely would have loved to see it in person.

Seeing the evolution from your previous MOC to this; you're one step closer to mont saint michel. :thumbup::classic:

image.jpg

What a beautiful scenery! :wub:

I still stand in awe. The details.

This makes me feel so small. How long did it take you to build it. And how often did you re-build? :laugh:

Your creation is saved in my "great MOCs" folder.

Hail to the cat: k015.gif

Truly awesome MOC. Nice use of tan and the different grays. And the Gothic spire is just lovely. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks a lot guys! :D

That display you showed in Oss is great too, too bad I didn't know about it (probably my own falt). (I'm born in Oss, and my family still lives there).

I surely would have loved to see it in person.

Hehe it was announced on the LowLUG website about a month beforehand, and Brabants Dagblad also had an article about it, so I think the publicity was there, you just missed it ;)

Seeing the evolution from your previous MOC to this; you're one step closer to mont saint michel. :thumbup::classic:

You know Mont Saint Michel is my dream MOC to make one day when my collection is huge and I don't have to work anymore.

I do admit it is a style that (subconsciously) keeps coming back though, this is the third castle that reminds people of Mont Saint Michel ;)

How long did it take you to build it. And how often did you re-build? :laugh:

It took about 2 months altogether, and I built it in modules to be able to take it to our Castle display (first reply is where I explain who made what and so on), and I had to rebuild some of the seperate modules of the castle a few times to get it all to fit ;)

That's an absolutely awesome Castle MOC, Aliencat! :oh:

I really :wub: it!

It looks absolutely realistic and the architecture and the details are stunning! :oh:

What I don't like are that ugly creatures and the bad landscape against the knights from the abbey fight against. :sadnew:

Otherwise it's perfect!

The most I like the so much detailed and realistic architecture of the abbey and the bucklers and armour of the abbey's knights (something different than always only lions, wolfs and dragons! :thumbup: )!

Very, very well done! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I have seen many lego castles over the years....

...this is one makes me go "Awesome!........"

I feel great reverence for this creation.

thanks for posting.

:thumbup:

As said on the other fora: Brilliant MOC! Super large super detailled! :thumbup: