Sign in to follow this  
Admiral M

Port St. Brick, a constant WIP

Ok everyone, with my biggest ship, the HMS Conquest, almost completed as far as designs go, I decided to begin my newest project: A port that is capable of housing my biggest ship (my previous port was to small). So without further ado, I present:

The Port of St. Brick Town Plan!(yes, this is a WIP like all my other projects):

It's small now, but it will be modular and expansion will be possible. There will be small houses and shops, but larger buildings will include:

A trading center

A church

Fort Matthew

Naval Storehouse

There will be a wharf surrounding the town, with a wall behind it. There will be a 2 gates into the town- one from the wharf and one from the shipyard (not pictured in drawing-will be right of town).

The Gallery, when moderated.

I'll post pictures of my buildings as I complete them. Wish me luck!

Edited by Admiral M

A little advice.

Instead of trying to make lots and lots of MOCs which will take alot of time and money, Focus on one ship. Or one building.

Try and make them look good for the empire rather than just rushing things.

So, If you really want to build a port, Build a port, If you want a ship to defend your port construction, Build a ship.

Anywho, I like the planning for the port! I would love to see the small houses high on a hill behind the Storehouse, To make it look like you have a massive town but you dont really. :pir_laugh2:

I have some Idea pictures from the MMORPG "Voyage Century" (Brilliant Game):

forts.jpg

foto_voyage_century.jpg

01.jpg

vc2.jpg

Edited by Joey Lock

Thanks for the advise (and Pic's) Joey!

I'm on a relativly tight budget, and can't always make everything in real with the bricks I have. I use LDD, but that has it's constraints, mainly lack of hull pieces and decent masts. So yes, many of my ships are WIP's, but most will not be built due to lack of money and they are as completed as they will get. Next time I have a large amount of money on hand, i'll order the parts to HMS Conquest from bricklink.

yes, behind the drawing I had there, maybe I could make a San Fransisco esque neighborhood.

I built a couple buildings today, a small church and a maritime office. The church has some interior:

lddscreenshot105.png

I'll probably put a desk and some bookcases in the office:

lddscreenshot106.png

Edited by Admiral M

Thanks for the advise (and Pic's) Joey!

I'm on a relativly tight budget, and can't always make everything in real with the bricks I have. I use LDD, but that has it's constraints, mainly lack of hull pieces and decent masts. So yes, many of my ships are WIP's, but most will not be built due to lack of money and they are as completed as they will get. Next time I have a large ammount of money on hand, i'll order the parts to HMS Conquest from bricklink.

yes, behind the drawing I had there, maybe I could make a San Fransisco esque neighborhood.

I built a couple buildings today, a small church and a maritime office. The church has some interior:

lddscreenshot105.png

I'll probably pt a desk and some bookcases in the office:

lddscreenshot106.png

Thats a very nice Church!

I am a LDD enthusiast myself, And I have finally ordered all my bricks from Bricklink. So, finally we shall see if LDD Design really does work! :pir_laugh2:

So, I dont believe you should give up on trying to buy these! Before I begin full work on a giant port or a new ship, I will complete the HMS Unicorn throughly, make a interior with all the cannons in, tiling, rooms and tables.

Imaginary ships....

Imaginary forts....

Imaginary docks...

Must be a redcoat? :pir_laugh2:

To be honest, I don't have the patience (or skill) for those applications, Besides, with all the time you spend on those, you could get a part-time job and actually buy the bricks!

-Super

Besides, with all the time you spend on those, you could get a part-time job and actually buy the bricks!

Do I sense ignorance?

You do not even know whether he just enjoys making designs, or he isnt old enough to work.

Must be a Bluecoat? :pir_laugh2:

Great job. I admire the skill and time it takes to do these digital designs. I have seen plenty of digital designs that have provided valuable ideas for my building in the past. After all whether you built it for real or in a digital design by the time we see it here it is all virual (unless one of you scallywags has broken into my garage :jollyroger:) I have tried this in the past and I just don't have the patience or skill to pull it off. Sometimes I will mess around with it just to see if some technique will work.

You could get a part-time job and actually buy the bricks!

-Super

I think you will understand my reasoning- I am putting away most of my money for higher education. Lego is one of my favorite hobbies, but if I spend all my money on lego and don't get a great education, in this economy, I might not get a job and have to sell all my lego to get money! :wacko: A free download that allows me to create my own models from my computer using any bricks I want for FREE really helps :classic:

Oh, and yes, LDD can be really frustrating at times, I don't know how many times I wanted to burst out crying when the church kept getting screwed up :pir_laugh2:.

Edited by Admiral M

I've decided I like the tan/white color scheme, so most of my port (except my fort) will be this color. I redid the maritime office and built a trade union building:

lddscreenshot109.png

lddscreenshot111.png

Imaginary ships....

Imaginary forts....

Imaginary docks...

Do you remember Armendariz's "huge" army of 480 :pir-hmpf: ?

british_army_1.png

Edited by Admiral M

Admiral M, you're doing a good job here!

Even though your MOC isn't constructed from real bricks I think this is something that would be worth frontpaging on Classic-Pirates.com.

Yes, I remember you frontpaging Captian Cavino's LDD Fluyt. I would be thrilled if you frontpaged my work :pir-blush: !

I've begun work on 2 houses, so stay tuned for updates!

Edited by Admiral M

I've been working pretty hard, and here is my result:

lddscreenshot116.png

The first house is one story and is constructed with the tan/white color scheme. The second building is a tavern, which I will expand. I'll also be adding a red and white awning to the trade building for greater effect. I like the church as a centerpiece, and I like the tree, but I'm not sure I like it at the center of the square. I may move it, or delete it entirely.

House (I may push the tavern back 8 studs so it doesn't block this building as much):

lddscreenshot118.png

Tavern (the brown accents really make this building stand out):

lddscreenshot117.png

Edited by Admiral M

Yes, I remember you frontpaging Captian Cavino's LDD Fluyt. I would be thrilled if you frontpaged my work :pir-blush: !

I've sent word to the news department and I've renamed the description of this thread to help it draw more attention.

Wow, thanks! I've been out for awhile, but i'm back and I'm going to finish this thing no matter what!

So here's what has happened so far: I have decided that the plan I was going to use wasn't working for me, so I scrapped it. Ther maritime offices will be refurbished into a naval storehouse. The port will no longer be flat, but will be built on a hill side. The trade building looked too modern, so I'm going to put in the 2x1x2.66 arched window pieces instead of those large openings, put battlements on top of the roof instead of slopes, and make it a barracks., which will be on the second level of the port. On top of the hill will be the church, looking out over the town. This design makes modularity possible, and I will eventually expand the port. here's my progress:

I've built the first level:

lddscreenshot125.png

The baseplates will be blue, not grey. I may change the white/tan house, I'm not sure it goes well with the tan/brown one.

Edited by Admiral M

Looking good, and i like the colour scheme. I have never tried using any of the digital design programs, and even though its not my thing, i do appreciate the effort that goes in to designing mocs this way. Keep up the good work, im sure it will be great when its finished :pir-classic:

I've redone the color scheme on my smaller house, and rebuilt the Trade Building into a small fort/barracks thingy.

lddscreenshot128.png

All Pictures here.

I still don't have an official plan up yet, but here's some concept art to wet your whistle!

Absolutely lovely location.

Complete it and build it with bricks :)

When it's done, it will be the pondon of my pirate island.

Pull your saber and load your guns. There will be a lot of goods! Har, har! :pir-sweet:

Thanks, I took alot of inspiration from you and Derfel. Nice job on yours, by the way.

Oh, and don't be thinking it will be so easy to invade this port- there'll be another, smaller island just to the right of this one, and it will house a fort with more cannons than your silly pirate brain can count. :pir-skull:

Edited by Admiral M

And here it is! A basic 2-level fortress, partly based off of Martin's Fort St. Kendra, it protects the village from enemy attack. This small fort, armed with 13 guns, combined with the HMS Conquest, is quite capable of punching holes in the sides of enemy ships.

lddscreenshot140.png

The whole folder here.

Edited by Admiral M

I haven't been updating you on this project, but never fear, it's coming along well!

I changed the layout (again :pir-hmpf: ), now the buildings sit 2.33 studs above the baseplate. I'm not sure yet if i'll use that fort design yet, I may change it, but I'm happy about it for now.

lddscreenshot195.png

Edited by Admiral M

Here's a row of buildings that will be used in the port. They have similar color schemes, and can open to add interior.

lddscreenshot196.png

You can see closeups of all of them here, when public.

Man, I dig those designs so much.

That's like what I wanna build in real life, but I can't because I don't have enough tan yet. I went on a red-brown kick for awhile where I bought almost every set that had a great amount of brown in it, including the infamouse big brown box that Lego packaged as a Star Wars set. My tan hoarding started about a month ago, I've loved the tan and white combination since the new Pirate line came out, but I've never seen it used as extensively or successfully as you've managed to do.

Props dude, that rocks.